It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Basketball Coaching Search
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:39 pm 
UserName Retired

From @bmarcello's twitter:
Quotes and audio from Corliss Williamson's introduction as UCA's head coach. http://bit.ly/9mxCQU

The audio is low, but you can make out most of it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:51 pm 
Redshirt

Assistants do most recruting if he hires assistants that have good knoweldge base on getting players out of the region that would help..If someone has connection on the east coact and west coast they will not have to compete with the other school in the southland, and there is a lot of talent everywhere, like in California players dont even get looked at by Califonia college because of how much talent is there, A school like Central Arkansas can benefit off that, if they bring in assistants that have connects there, recruiting is about who you are! If Corliss walks into parents living and is like I been through this play and played for the best and learned from two great coaches to players and parent they will buy in! everybody needs a first chance, Coach K and Bobby Knight had a first chance why cant, Coach Williamson, I bet this work out at the end you watch and see..

Boss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:01 pm 
Two-Time All-American

boss wrote:
Assistants do most recruting if he hires assistants that have good knoweldge base on getting players out of the region that would help..If someone has connection on the east coact and west coast they will not have to compete with the other school in the southland, and there is a lot of talent everywhere, like in California players dont even get looked at by Califonia college because of how much talent is there, A school like Central Arkansas can benefit off that, if they bring in assistants that have connects there, recruiting is about who you are! If Corliss walks into parents living and is like I been through this play and played for the best and learned from two great coaches to players and parent they will buy in! everybody needs a first chance, Coach K and Bobby Knight had a first chance why cant, Coach Williamson, I bet this work out at the end you watch and see..

Boss

I really hope this works out for us. Boss, any idea why this same scenerio failed miserably with Moncrief at UALR?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:06 pm 
Two-Time All-American

UpandIn913 wrote:

How is he going to bring in the type of players we need whenever he has no experience in recruiting at even a D2 level. Either way go bears..good luck...very dissappointed

And I'm disappointed that they made the Internet easy enough for you to figure out.

Recruiting is basically the same at any level. Identify good talent, approach good talent, build a relationship with that good talent, sign good talent. The end. If anything recruiting is easier as you move up in level because you don't have to sell it as hard. Kentucky probably doesn't recruit nearly as hard as UAM because it's bigtime D-I and is associated with greatness and people want to play there. They basically get to select.

Similar deal (though to obviously a lesser extent) with hiring a guy like Corliss. He's got NCAA and NBA championship rings and had a good, long career and is popular/recognized by everybody from kids who watched him in the NBA to people who followed him from his time as a high school/AAU star through his run with the Razorbacks. He's got a ton of name recognition and it's all positive. Kids will want to play for him. Maybe people in their 50s sitting at home on their keyboards don't get it, but he's a better hire to prospective players than some old dude they've never heard of.

Recruiting should be the least of your concerns. It's not like you have to read a bunch of books and study up to know how to go to an AAU tournament or high school games, see good players and then start recruiting them. And maybe you're concerned he won't be able to recognize Division I talent ... which I'm not the least concerned with since he was surrounded by it every day for three years as a player, then went on to see what NBA talent is up close and personal. "Game recognize game" as the kids say. Players know as well as anybody what it truly takes to be successful and can recognize those traits in others.

And recruiting is about being likable. I've never heard anybody who has met the guy have negative things to say. I think, by all accounts, he's a pretty likable guy. And he has credibility. Lots of it. Those aren't many things more important in recruiting than those two things. People have to like you and believe in you. Recruits believe in championship rings and being in the NBA.

Is every great coach a former player? No ... but a whole helluva lot of them are. Is every former player going to be a great coach? No - but some have the traits to succeed in that capacity and others don't. Allen Iverson ... probably doesn't have it. Corliss Williamson does.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:10 pm 
UserName Retired

......being likable..hmmm... :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:17 pm 
All-Conference

Beary Manilow wrote:
UpandIn913 wrote:

How is he going to bring in the type of players we need whenever he has no experience in recruiting at even a D2 level. Either way go bears..good luck...very dissappointed

And I'm disappointed that they made the Internet easy enough for you to figure out.

Recruiting is basically the same at any level. Identify good talent, approach good talent, build a relationship with that good talent, sign good talent. The end. If anything recruiting is easier as you move up in level because you don't have to sell it as hard. Kentucky probably doesn't recruit nearly as hard as UAM because it's bigtime D-I and is associated with greatness and people want to play there. They basically get to select.

Similar deal (though to obviously a lesser extent) with hiring a guy like Corliss. He's got NCAA and NBA championship rings and had a good, long career and is popular/recognized by everybody from kids who watched him in the NBA to people who followed him from his time as a high school/AAU star through his run with the Razorbacks. He's got a ton of name recognition and it's all positive. Kids will want to play for him. Maybe people in their 50s sitting at home on their keyboards don't get it, but he's a better hire to prospective players than some old dude they've never heard of.

Recruiting should be the least of your concerns. It's not like you have to read a bunch of books and study up to know how to go to an AAU tournament or high school games, see good players and then start recruiting them. And maybe you're concerned he won't be able to recognize Division I talent ... which I'm not the least concerned with since he was surrounded by it every day for three years as a player, then went on to see what NBA talent is up close and personal. "Game recognize game" as the kids say. Players know as well as anybody what it truly takes to be successful and can recognize those traits in others.

And recruiting is about being likable. I've never heard anybody who has met the guy have negative things to say. I think, by all accounts, he's a pretty likable guy. And he has credibility. Lots of it. Those aren't many things more important in recruiting than those two things. People have to like you and believe in you. Recruits believe in championship rings and being in the NBA.

Is every great coach a former player? No ... but a whole helluva lot of them are. Is every former player going to be a great coach? No - but some have the traits to succeed in that capacity and others don't. Allen Iverson ... probably doesn't have it. Corliss Williamson does.

It's not necessarily easier as you move up because while you have more to sell at a bigger school, you aren't competing against Jucos anymore. You have to sell them that you are better than schools that are similarly situated to you, not the school you left. You also typically inherit stricter academic standards and rules as you progress upwards.

Corliss is liked and respected as a player and he will be known to the recruits' parents (but to be the devil's advocate as some have already, see Moncrief, Joe Kleine, etc.) and may very well be a great coach one day. You can't tell me that he was at the top of anyone's list going into the search though.

There will be a modest bump in interest with the hire and the first of the season but he will have to win and win relatively quickly for it to work. He will be under more of a microscope than a more experienced and lesser know coach would have been. Think Danica Patrick.

It all comes down to money and I don't mean salary. With the right resources, Corliss might lure some kids away from a UALR type program, but without them it will still take a lot of work.

Just have to wih him luck and hope for the best. There will be a honeymoon period that will be a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:27 pm 
Redshirt

Two-Time All-American I can't give you a certain answer on why the UALr sisutaion didn't work, but you can't compare situation that never works out you have to just see reults and I really believe he will bring results.....like I said a good coach needs a chance to show he can coach and I really agree with the hire, players will come play for a champion.....Isiah Thomas already is starting to bring in better recruit in FIU because of his name...so I believe the same will happen for UCA!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:36 pm 
UserName Retired

Crump1 wrote:
You can't tell me that he was at the top of anyone's list going into the search though.

WRONG

On paper, there were some coaches that I thought might be a better/safer choice. Whether those coaches were even interested is another matter of course. But, after talking it out with a non-UCA fan, I'm on board.

I am, however, very interested in who the assistant coaches are going to be - not so much from a recruiting or on-the-court perspective, but from an off-the-court administrative perspective. Hopefully he brings in some guy(s) who've done it before. In what little I could make out of the audio link I posted above, he at least acknowledged that assistant coaches are what make a good head coach. Cliche, sure. But he still said it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:45 pm 
Team Captain

New coaches are like ordering shoes over the internet, you can buy a great brand name(read coach with tons of experience or great playing experience or a great family name,etc) but you don't know how they fit until you try them on. No question
Coach Williamson will get the opportunity to visit with any (and I do mean any) kid in Arkansas (and probably beyond) and probably have a good shot a landing more than any previous UCA coach. The question is his eye for talent that will fit his
brand of basketball. The good coaches make the right decision on who they recruit (and they are not always the most sought after players ---think Scotty Pippen).

It is totally worthless to look at his AR Bapt. College record and make assumptions. Coach Williamson had never been around a situation like ABC in his life. No real scholarships; players that no one else wanted; horrible facilities; and so..Personally
I think winning 12 games there, in his first full year is like winning 20+ at a NCAA school. That is not to say he will be an instant success or a success at all. His success will come down to his ability to identify and recruit quality players and his ability to make the Xs & Os in his gameplan work for his players. His ability to
put together a decent coaching staff (we pay so little for assistants) that will be on the same page that he is. We will know the answer to these question in three years or less.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:51 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
like I said a good coach needs a chance to show he can coach

This is an unproven fact with Corliss. I think many people are wondering if UCA should be his maiden coaching assignment at this level to prove or disprove that fact.

Quote:
a champion

No doubt that he is that.

Teague has pretty much hit a homerun over the fence with his hires since he's been here. This one might not be over the fence but it could be an inside the park.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:14 pm 
All-Conference

treyuca wrote:
Crump1 wrote:
You can't tell me that he was at the top of anyone's list going into the search though.

WRONG

On paper, there were some coaches that I thought might be a better/safer choice. Whether those coaches were even interested is another matter of course. But, after talking it out with a non-UCA fan, I'm on board.

I am, however, very interested in who the assistant coaches are going to be - not so much from a recruiting or on-the-court perspective, but from an off-the-court administrative perspective. Hopefully he brings in some guy(s) who've done it before. In what little I could make out of the audio link I posted above, he at least acknowledged that assistant coaches are what make a good head coach. Cliche, sure. But he still said it.

Sorry, there was a guy on a messageboard that liked the idea!

You weren't on board at first. I think the assistants are VERY important from a recruiting standpoint. If he brings in some guys that know what to do it may very well work. If he hires his buddies it very well may not.

He might be the best thing since sliced bread but there's nothing to base that expectation on right now. Teague took a very big leap and if it works he can say "I told you so".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:17 pm 
All-Conference

boss wrote:
Two-Time All-American I can't give you a certain answer on why the UALr sisutaion didn't work, but you can't compare situation that never works out you have to just see reults and I really believe he will bring results.....like I said a good coach needs a chance to show he can coach and I really agree with the hire, players will come play for a champion.....Isiah Thomas already is starting to bring in better recruit in FIU because of his name...so I believe the same will happen for UCA!

Corliss isn't Isaiah and FIU stunk this year. FIU is also a school with 30,000 students, a bigger budget and a great location.

I am sure there are examples of guys like Corliss that have succeeded as college coaches but Thomas is apples and oranges.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:21 pm 
All-American

As I said before aside from being unproven he will put butts in the seats. Looking at comments on local news sites, and feedback from people I work with that don't care about UCA, they were all excited to see CW coaching UCA. This is a big name in Arkansas, which will help with recruiting, yes hes never done it before but hopefully he will get an experience assistant that has. Remember the last two coaches UCA hired (Daniel (21-8 last season) & McRoberts(27-3 last season) ) I'd say Brad knows what the hell hes doing. So please before you continue to bash because hes not who you with your no basketball experience wanted to hire, give this guy a chance. Really this program has no where to go but up, in wins and attendance. Maybe its because I'm a Cubs fan, optimism runs in our blood, but I am really excited about next season and plan to catch as many games as I can.

Coach Corliss welcome, and may many wins & success follow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:30 pm 
All-American

Looks like hes bringing the 40 minutes of hell coaching style from the Nolan days. Can't wait for next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4989802

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:39 pm 
Redshirt

Two Time All American just ride with it....be positve it will work out, support the situation instead of digging for negative, I think it's a great hire!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next