It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: @Colorado 9/7/13
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:23 am 
UserName Retired

Bears need to stay focused on IWU for 8/29...we fans can look ahead a little.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2013/7/26/4560816/pac-12-football-preseason-poll-arizona-wildcats-rankings

Buffs picked distant last in Pac 12 South.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/6/27/4456388/colorado-buffaloes-football-2013-schedule-roster-preview

SB Nation overview of Buffs program.

http://www.ralphiereport.com/

Coverage of Buffs.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot/previews/2013/team.aspx?c=pac12,t=colorado

Diplomatic review and preview.

Note that 2012 final Sgarin ratings had Colorado at #156 with a 55 rating while UCA was 94th at 66...this would have predicted a Bears win at Boulder last season by 7-9 points. Buffs should be better and we might be also.....should be a good game for Bears to see what they really have.....

Post subject: Re: @Colorado 9/7/13
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:30 pm 
All-American

Will this be available for internet streaming or is it pac12 network only?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:39 pm 
Redshirt

Good luck to y'all...I'm hoping you pull out the W. Wish we were playing Colorado instead of TAMU and JFF.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:24 pm 
UserName Retired

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot/scores/final/boxscore.aspx?GAMEID=39026

Ok, time to get to Colorado. C-State led 24-23 after Q3 but Buffs won Q4 by 18-3.

CO put up 400+ yads passing (33 on 46) and one receiver (Paul Richardson) had 9 catches for 205 plus 2 TDs (75 and 82 yards) and Spruce added 99 yds more on 8 catches.

Solid punting by both teams but C-State did return one punt 74 yds for a TD.

CO hit 4/4 FGs with long of 52 and hit 3/3 PATs.

Buffs coiuld not be any lower than they fell last year and are expected to be better. Bears are also better and we normally play well on the road.

Just for comaprison to last season, Sagarin rated CO at 53, C-State at 57 and UCA at 64.

Next Saturday should be a very good game.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:59 pm 
Redshirt

Hey guys, I'm a UCA alum who just recently moved to Colorado. I went to the CU vs. CSU game tonight so I thought I'd give my take on CU.

Several things that the box score and a stat sheet might not tell you.

#6 - Paul Richardson is definitely their big-play guy. A lot of his yards came off of a busted coverage on CU's second offensive play. Quarterback gets pressured, starts to scramble, looks up field, and there isn't a CSU defender within 25 yards of Richardson. Easy 82 yard touchdown. The 75 yard reception was on a wheel route - he got a couple of steps on the defender and was gone from there.

The quarterback, Connor Wood, seemed pretty decent. Definitely had the arm strength to make the throws. He was very good on 3rd down. He converted several big third downs. Isn't terribly fast, but definitely knows how to avoid pressure.

The CU running attack wasn't very impressive. There was a bigger back and then a shiftier guy. Neither of them seemed very scary. Even when they went power with a fullback or two tight ends, they weren't very productive. They ran a few read option type of plays, but not enough to really have to worry about. Especially since Wood isn't a huge running threat.

Defensively, it's hard to say . CSU didn't seem to have any big-play threats at all. I think CSU's low offensive numbers were definitely more about CSU being bad on offense than CU being good on defense.

CU's kick coverage unit and punt coverage unit were flat out awful. CSU had a punt return for a touchdown and kick return that went down to the 20 or so. Every kick return was almost broken for a touchdown. They finally started squib kicking in the fourth quarter. Hopefully, they will have to spend quite a bit of time working on that this week.

Intangibles

CU's fanbase isn't anything special. CSU's student section was definitely louder and more involved than CU's. I wouldn't expect a full stadium next Saturday, and they won't be very loud consistently. A lot of CU students are only going to be there for the social aspect.

The altitude - this worries me a little bit. Some people feel it more than others. I think they'll be alright for the most part because if you're in shape, you're in shape. I do worry about altitude sickness. This seems to be fairly common over here. Hopefully it doesn't affect too many of our players.

The trade-off for the altitude will be the weather. It may be hot before game time, but it'll cool off quite a bit during the game. Most days, rain showers will roll through the Boulder area in the afternoon. This has happened pretty much daily since I've been here. Typically, it doesn't rain a lot, and it cools down afterwards. Also, very little humidity.

I'm hoping they'll come in over-confident, and looking past us. Either way, I think we have a very good chance to pull off the upset.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:47 am 
Team Captain

Well one thing is true, we'll know what kind of team we have by next sunday

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:02 am 
Redshirt

mtucker.bd wrote:
Hey guys, I'm a UCA alum who just recently moved to Colorado. I went to the CU vs. CSU game tonight so I thought I'd give my take on CU.

Several things that the box score and a stat sheet might not tell you.

#6 - Paul Richardson is definitely their big-play guy. A lot of his yards came off of a busted coverage on CU's second offensive play. Quarterback gets pressured, starts to scramble, looks up field, and there isn't a CSU defender within 25 yards of Richardson. Easy 82 yard touchdown. The 75 yard reception was on a wheel route - he got a couple of steps on the defender and was gone from there.

The quarterback, Connor Wood, seemed pretty decent. Definitely had the arm strength to make the throws. He was very good on 3rd down. He converted several big third downs. Isn't terribly fast, but definitely knows how to avoid pressure.

The CU running attack wasn't very impressive. There was a bigger back and then a shiftier guy. Neither of them seemed very scary. Even when they went power with a fullback or two tight ends, they weren't very productive. They ran a few read option type of plays, but not enough to really have to worry about. Especially since Wood isn't a huge running threat.

Defensively, it's hard to say . CSU didn't seem to have any big-play threats at all. I think CSU's low offensive numbers were definitely more about CSU being bad on offense than CU being good on defense.

CU's kick coverage unit and punt coverage unit were flat out awful. CSU had a punt return for a touchdown and kick return that went down to the 20 or so. Every kick return was almost broken for a touchdown. They finally started squib kicking in the fourth quarter. Hopefully, they will have to spend quite a bit of time working on that this week.

Intangibles

CU's fanbase isn't anything special. CSU's student section was definitely louder and more involved than CU's. I wouldn't expect a full stadium next Saturday, and they won't be very loud consistently. A lot of CU students are only going to be there for the social aspect.

The altitude - this worries me a little bit. Some people feel it more than others. I think they'll be alright for the most part because if you're in shape, you're in shape. I do worry about altitude sickness. This seems to be fairly common over here. Hopefully it doesn't affect too many of our players.

The trade-off for the altitude will be the weather. It may be hot before game time, but it'll cool off quite a bit during the game. Most days, rain showers will roll through the Boulder area in the afternoon. This has happened pretty much daily since I've been here. Typically, it doesn't rain a lot, and it cools down afterwards. Also, very little humidity.

I'm hoping they'll come in over-confident, and looking past us. Either way, I think we have a very good chance to pull off the upset.

There won't be coming in over-confident. We're coming off a 1 win season. Beating CSU, a series CU leads 62-21, hardly leads to cockiness just yet!

CU's Folsom Field gets quite loud. Comparing Denver to Folsom is a big mistake. The CSU game in Denver has the whole NFL stadium feel. Utterly different from the rocking atmosphere of a college on-campus stadium.

This was an encouraging win for CU. We're relieved to have found ourselves a QB. Paul Richardson is as elite as ever. Defense was impressive. The one point of complaint is the kick coverage, that needs to be fixed this week.

CU's bruiser running back got a bit dinged up and didn't play in the second half, which stalled the running game. It doesn't seem to be anything too serious, but I'll fill you in if that changes.

Our players are fully aware of Central Arkansas and solid you guys are, let alone after a loss to FCS Sacramento State last year and the events of this weekend with 9 FCS victories over FBS schools.

Looking forward to it, guys.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:32 pm 
UserName Retired

I worry more about our team being over-confident ...never go to a BCS school and think you are the real favorite...maybe North Dakota State can feel that way as they whipped K-State but the Cats are down a bit and NDSU is awesome....we are good but not that level..at least yet.....it was impressive how McNeese totally dominated South Florida but the Cowboys are always tough and the Bulls struggle in the Big East....many people talk like UCA can walk over CU......we need to play an exceptional game to win......on the other hand, Bears will go to win as they did last year at a very solid Ole Miss and almost always play really well on the road (well, other than at Montana, Nicholls and SELA...)....CU fans may take the game lightly but I am pretty sure the team will not....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:43 pm 
Redshirt

Most CU fans I've seen think UCA could very well be a tougher test than Colorado State was. I'm very encouraged with the Buff D yesterday but would not at all be shocked to see this turn into a shoot out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:05 pm 
UserName Retired

I watched the CU v. CSU game here and had one question for CU fans...why were the CSU players celebrating after the tackles? You just gave up a first down and you act like its a game winning tackle... I'm confused. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:50 pm 
Redshirt

BearCountry wrote:
I watched the CU v. CSU game here and had one question for CU fans...why were the CSU players celebrating after the tackles? You just gave up a first down and you act like its a game winning tackle... I'm confused. :shock:

=D> glad a non-Buff fan noticed that too! We're completely puzzled by it. They hate CU's guts (playing CU is their "super bowl", the one game their fans bother to pay attention to). But jumping around after we were getting first downs on a night we threw for 400 and our leading receiver had more yards (208) than their entire passing game (201) was quite puzzling.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:54 pm 
UserName Retired

I don't care if CU has 1000 yards against us..as long as that ONE important stat says it's in our favor. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:24 am 
UserName Retired

Football: CU Buffs not overlooking Central Arkansas

Quote:
On Saturday, the Buffs will host Central Arkansas at Folsom Field. CU is 1-2 against FCS schools -- and barely got the win -- and UCA might be the best lower-division opponent the Buffs have ever faced. UCA is ranked No. 6 in the country in the latest FCS poll.

"They're similar to an Oregon -- fast tempo, throw the ball all over the place, run the ball really well, the quarterback is a dual threat guy," CU head coach Mike MacIntyre said shortly after his team knocked off Colorado State on Sunday night. "It's going to be a tough, tough battle and we're going to start working on them tonight."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:07 am 
UserName Retired

I wasn't able to see the game - my Uverse package apparently doesn't have CBSC? - but I followed the live stats.

As everyone has pointed out, a HUGE chunk of their passing yardage came on just two plays. So, while 400 and 502 are big numbers, limiting the big plays will definitely help.

They have a new coach and a win in his first game. I'm sure they are doing their best to move on from the past. The game plan has to be the same as against every other opponent every other week: limit the big plays and don't turn the ball over - especially not inside the redzone like last week.

Let's talk about the viewing opportunities this week. Uverse may turn out to be a big help - http://www.pacifictakes.com/2013/9/2/46 ... izing-deal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:18 am 
UserName Retired

If you've got 30 minutes to watch a preseason preview - http://pac-12.com/event/2013/09/07/cent ... s-colorado

There are also some highlights from the CSU game on that page.