It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: UCA @ Montana State
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:33 pm 
Redshirt

Bobcat fan here, I know its another week before we play but our next game is DII Blackhills St who won 3 games last year. Maybe I am overlooking a DII but I want to start learning something about UCA.

I know you moved up from DII not long ago, but you have been a contender in the Southland and have even made a couple of playoff runs. I don't really know too much more, other than I hope you are not as fast as Arkansas State was last weekend.

Will any of you be making the trip up, we have a great venue and welcome visitors, I imagine some of you traveled to Montana a few years ago when you played the College of Dance and Flair in the playoffs.

I guess I missed my opportunity to record your TT game, will the next game be available online or on any sports networks?

BTW looking at the box score it looks like UCA held there own pretty well against TT. Any info is appreciated, and you can ask me anything about the Bobcats and I will give my opinion, weather its good or bad.

Post subject: Re: UCA @ MSU
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:36 pm 
Redshirt

Oh, I forgot our message board is http://bobcatnation.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:02 pm 
Two-Time All-American

cats2506 wrote:
Bobcat fan here, I know its another week before we play but our next game is DII Blackhills St who won 3 games last year. Maybe I am overlooking a DII but I want to start learning something about UCA.

I know you moved up from DII not long ago, but you have been a contender in the Southland and have even made a couple of playoff runs. I don't really know too much more, other than I hope you are not as fast as Arkansas State was last weekend.

Will any of you be making the trip up, we have a great venue and welcome visitors, I imagine some of you traveled to Montana a few years ago when you played the College of Dance and Flair in the playoffs.

I guess I missed my opportunity to record your TT game, will the next game be available online or on any sports networks?

BTW looking at the box score it looks like UCA held there own pretty well against TT. Any info is appreciated, and you can ask me anything about the Bobcats and I will give my opinion, weather its good or bad.

Nothing to worry about Bobcat fan...we are small, but we make up for it
By being very slow. The team normally flies out one day before the game, but
Since Bozeman is so far away, the team flight is leaving an extra day early
to avoid traffic jams.

It seems to me that the other team in the great state of Montana doesn't
care much for you guys...but that is to be expected. You both have great
tradition. The kids from UCA will play their hearts out...I will promise you that..
They are very well coached and they are of very good character and will represent
The university of Central Arkansas with class and dignity.

I didn't get a chance to make the trip to the university of Montana a couple
Of years ago for the playoffs. I am however planning to come to Bozeman
for the game in two weeks. Looking forward to the trip, and to meeting some
MSU FANS.

GO BEARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:12 pm 
Redshirt

Is it going to be a quick trip , or are you going to have a couple of days in the beautiful Gallatin Valley. Stop in a Bobcat Nation with the link above, people will give you the best places to eat and see, I grew up in the area but haven't lived there for many years so some of my info is dated.

We travel down to the home games and there are several tailgates that you are more than welcome at, you probably wont have to buy a beer all weekend if you are so inclined.

If last weekend is any indicator we are to slow also, we have a rookie QB and our OC doesn't know what he is doing, if you dont believe me, just read the game thread on BN.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:55 pm 
UserName Retired

We have to stay focused on Tennessee-Martin this week as that is usually a "who has the ball last" type game...

Bears will have to be sure they do not come back from Lubbock with a "we played with a good Big 12 team and can cruise now" mentality.....I am pretty sure the coaches will work on that for sure this week....

A-State usually has very good team speed and we recruit many of the same players .....we will have good speed on both sides of the ball.....

I suspect the UCA vs MT State game will be a humdinger.....we normally play very well on the road...

By the way, absolutely no Bears fan on this board was surprised by our play at Lubbock.....repeating that level play week in and week out will be the challenge....

Only time I have been to Bozeman was in 1969 on a Boy Scout trip and we camped in your endzone one night..really cold in late June....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:26 am 
UserName Retired

Here's a breakdown of our team that you can tell the Cat players:

Qb: we are so bad at QB that we don't even know which one we will play. We have a QB that is so old he's a senior! Our other one doesn't know what team he plays for because he's played for so many!

WR: we have no go to guy like most FCS teams. Our QBs don't know who will catch the ball until the actual play is called seconds before the snap! Sometimes our WRs are out on the field by themselves because they accidentally step the opposite way the CBs do.

Oline: it's pretty small and not that strong compare to SEC standards. I heard one of them actually had the guts to tackle a bowl of gelatin at lunch one time....and lost.

RB: again, 4 deep with no sure thing. We ran 50 times against TT and was only able to get 35 points on them. If it wasn't for TTs 42 points, who knows we might have tied them!

Defense: they rarely take the initiative to predict the next play. It's a "look he caught the ball. Guess I'd better go tackle him" mentality.

Team speed: slow. Almost McNeese slow, but not quite. I mean the uniform budget is pretty small so they like to keep them looking as good as long as they can.

Play calling: who knows with onside kicks in the first quarter?!!! Very bipolar coach IMO. Plus I heard we have other coaches called ass's who don't even show up on the field during the game but rather enjoy the air conditioning in a coaches booth way up in the stands. Talk about NOT working together!

Distractions: bring extra cheerleaders. The players love watching them! Put a BBQ grill there too.

Overall fitness: most players are out of shape. The olinemen are not only small but look really fat. Keep an eye on your tailgate food when the bears walk by. Seriously. Since Conway is a dry city, watch your beers too. Kids that age will try to experiment with the unknown.

Overall: you should win. We are slow, fat and not that intelligent. Plus we don't wear shoes. Fit right in with the rest of the SLC.

Wish I could come to Bozeman but my parole officer says I have to stay in state. I told him I'd be in state but in Montana but he said that doesn't count. So I'll just watch the game on my radio.

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:41 am 
All-American

Those traveling to Bozeman be careful, remember they robbed Sheldon Cooper at the bus station. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:44 am 
All-American

BearCountry wrote:
Here's a breakdown of our team that you can tell the Cat players:

Qb: we are so bad at QB that we don't even know which one we will play. We have a QB that is so old he's a senior! Our other one doesn't know what team he plays for because he's played for so many!

WR: we have no go to guy like most FCS teams. Our QBs don't know who will catch the ball until the actual play is called seconds before the snap! Sometimes our WRs are out on the field by themselves because they accidentally step the opposite way the CBs do.

Oline: it's pretty small and not that strong compare to SEC standards. I heard one of them actually had the guts to tackle a bowl of gelatin at lunch one time....and lost.

RB: again, 4 deep with no sure thing. We ran 50 times against TT and was only able to get 35 points on them. If it wasn't for TTs 42 points, who knows we might have tied them!

Defense: they rarely take the initiative to predict the next play. It's a "look he caught the ball. Guess I'd better go tackle him" mentality.

Team speed: slow. Almost McNeese slow, but not quite. I mean the uniform budget is pretty small so they like to keep them looking as good as long as they can.

Play calling: who knows with onside kicks in the first quarter?!!! Very bipolar coach IMO. Plus I heard we have other coaches called ass's who don't even show up on the field during the game but rather enjoy the air conditioning in a coaches booth way up in the stands. Talk about NOT working together!

Distractions: bring extra cheerleaders. The players love watching them! Put a BBQ grill there too.

Overall fitness: most players are out of shape. The olinemen are not only small but look really fat. Keep an eye on your tailgate food when the bears walk by. Seriously. Since Conway is a dry city, watch your beers too. Kids that age will try to experiment with the unknown.

Overall: you should win. We are slow, fat and not that intelligent. Plus we don't wear shoes. Fit right in with the rest of the SLC.

Wish I could come to Bozeman but my parole officer says I have to stay in state. I told him I'd be in state but in Montana but he said that doesn't count. So I'll just watch the game on my radio.

Go Bears!

Pretty accurate assessment right there.

Post subject: Re: UCA @ Montana State
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:44 pm 
UserName Retired

Just FYI to cats2506 - I updated the title of this thread to be more specific. This year we're also playing MSU, Missouri State University. And in most years we'll (hopefully) be playing MSU, McNeese State University.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:00 pm 
Practice Squad

JRK wrote:
We have to stay focused on Tennessee-Martin this week as that is usually a "who has the ball last" type game...

Bears will have to be sure they do not come back from Lubbock with a "we played with a good Big 12 team and can cruise now" mentality.....I am pretty sure the coaches will work on that for sure this week....

A-State usually has very good team speed and we recruit many of the same players .....we will have good speed on both sides of the ball.....

I suspect the UCA vs MT State game will be a humdinger.....we normally play very well on the road...

By the way, absolutely no Bears fan on this board was surprised by our play at Lubbock.....repeating that level play week in and week out will be the challenge....

Only time I have been to Bozeman was in 1969 on a Boy Scout trip and we camped in your endzone one night..really cold in late June....

Refresh my memory who has UCA recruited that ASU has also.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:17 pm 
Practice Squad

Bigtimefan wrote:
JRK wrote:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... ion=upsell

Don't see any

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:31 pm 
UserName Retired

I can think of three from NWA......one went to A-State and two others to other FCS schools.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:25 am 
All-Conference

GoldilocksWasYummy wrote:
Those traveling to Bozeman be careful, remember they robbed Sheldon Cooper at the bus station. :D

This is my favorite post of yours ever. That was an awesome episode and scene. "One ticket to Pasadena, please".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:30 am 
All-Conference

Bigtimefan wrote:
JRK wrote:

The way most programs recruit now, it is like saying that ASU and Auburn recruit the same players. It is true. We end up recruiting and offering a lot of players that Auburn recruits but we don't usually get any that they offer. The same is true for ASU and UCA in reverse but that is no knock on UCA. Coaches always miss or evaluate kids incorrectly or pass on kids that are 2 inches "too short" or their 40 time is not "good enough".

UCA needs to beat McNeese, SFA and the like to be successful just like ASU needs to beat USM, Memphis, Tulsa, etc. to be successful.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:11 am 
UserName Retired

Correct. One possible answer to the question posed, is Corliss Marshall. Under the previous regimes at UA and ASU, they apparently weren't interested and he was going to be a Bear from all reports. The new UA guys - specifically Lunney Jr I believe - knew about Corliss and the rest is history.

Crump is right. In general, we're not going to win any recruiting battles with FBS schools not named Army, Navy, etc. But that doesn't mean we aren't recruiting and offering some of the same kids that end up at ASU, ULM, ULL, etc. There's no point in getting all upset about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next