It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Southland playoff scenario
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:11 pm 
UserName Retired

Bears should be enthused as they seem to thrive on playing Sam (and McNeese), want to avoid a 6-6 season and still have chance for playoffs if they take care of business. Should be a really good game, rain or not. While rain often helps a running team, a good passing team can do well as D-backs must be careful not to slip and give up more yards than normal. Rain in College Station last week certainly did not slow Mizzou passing very much last weekend vs A&M. Agree that Bears have not played a complete game on both sides this season.....be nice to get the defense figure it out (crossing patterns have the big issue as well as scrambling QBs).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:29 am 
All-Conference

Dear friends, I was set to make the trip but due to minor surgery I won't be able to make the trip. Papa is on the mend and the Bears can make things better by coming home with a W. Go Bears and it's been a fun season. Thanks to all the football Bears who has given their all. God Bless you and the coaches to. I will be glued to the TV set Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:15 am 
All-Conference

At the LR Touchdown Club Monday, coach Campbell said if we win Saturday, we`re in. Sounded pretty confident about it. I guess he is in the right position to know. Still seems like a tough proposition to me. I guess we will find out by sat night.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:07 pm 
UserName Retired

Hope Coach is right......Bears need to play their hearts out no matter....

Papa..get well soon.....be careful watching the game.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:32 am 
Redshirt

UCAFaninTN wrote:
At the LR Touchdown Club Monday, coach Campbell said if we win Saturday, we`re in. Sounded pretty confident about it. I guess he is in the right position to know. Still seems like a tough proposition to me. I guess we will find out by sat night.

What's he supposed to say, lol...alright boys, we have nothing left to play for...but let's take the long drive down to Texas just to show up cause it's on our schedule.

If you have played any sport at any level, you have heard how if we this, or if we that - we will ..... that's what coaches do, even when EVERYONE know it's a snowball chance that anything positive can come out of the game - they encourage and hope for the best - even if it is a stretch of the truth or virtually impossible.

With that said, I do believe this will be a good game. But I can't see any way UCA gets in. Like one of your own has stated on another thread - barely meets the minimum (IF they beat SHSU) of 7 DI wins and haven't been ranked all year...and no previous success for the committee to give the benefit of the doubt......

Sam / SFA / SELA all win - SHSU gets auto - SELA gets the invite - LU/MSU game is meaningless to the playoff picture as is all other SLC games.

-Eat'em Up Kats

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:42 am 
Starter

Have felt for several weeks that if we beat SAM we are in, just my opinion. Forget about tying for first, SELA is number one, I don't care who the alleged cream of the
Southland is. As far as rankings, looks like they were wrong. Sam lost to a D2 school and McNeese has three conference losses. Same has happened to us in the past, rankings are rankings. Fact is if we win Saturday we are second place, period, with head to head victories over any with the same record. So if two teams are selected from the Southland, one would think UCA would get in. Does not mean that I am right but our guys believe it and that's good enough for this bear fan. Now all we have to do is win in a windy rain storm. As far as our defensive woes, most have been against the pass, so bring on the wind and rain!

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:31 pm 
Two-Time All-American

TBearDad wrote:
Have felt for several weeks that if we beat SAM we are in, just my opinion. Forget about tying for first, SELA is number one, I don't care who the alleged cream of the
Southland is. As far as rankings, looks like they were wrong. Sam lost to a D2 school and McNeese has three conference losses. Same has happened to us in the past, rankings are rankings. Fact is if we win Saturday we are second place, period, with head to head victories over any with the same record. So if two teams are selected from the Southland, one would think UCA would get in. Does not mean that I am right but our guys believe it and that's good enough for this bear fan. Now all we have to do is win in a windy rain storm. As far as our defensive woes, most have been against the pass, so bring on the wind and rain!

Go Bears!

I hope you are correct...if the Bears win Saturday they should get in.

My gut still tells me that if McNeese beats Lamar they will get in...
The Cowboys are 6-4 overall and have 3 losses in the conf., but they
are still ranked #17 in the coaches poll and #19 in the sports network poll.
Right or wrong they obviously carry a lot of weight with the voters and
I'm sure the selection committee as well. With a 24 team playoff a lot
of crazy stuff can happen.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:05 pm 
All-Conference

Let's just win!

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:23 pm 
UserName Retired

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:47 pm 
UserName Retired

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:16 pm 
All-Conference

Kat13 wrote:
UCAFaninTN wrote:

What's he supposed to say, lol...alright boys, we have nothing left to play for...but let's take the long drive down to Texas just to show up cause it's on our schedule.

If you have played any sport at any level, you have heard how if we this, or if we that - we will ..... that's what coaches do, even when EVERYONE know it's a snowball chance that anything positive can come out of the game - they encourage and hope for the best - even if it is a stretch of the truth or virtually impossible.

With that said, I do believe this will be a good game. But I can't see any way UCA gets in. Like one of your own has stated on another thread - barely meets the minimum (IF they beat SHSU) of 7 DI wins and haven't been ranked all year...and no previous success for the committee to give the benefit of the doubt......

Sam / SFA / SELA all win - SHSU gets auto - SELA gets the invite - LU/MSU game is meaningless to the playoff picture as is all other SLC games.

-Eat'em Up Kats

Uuuum Don't lecture me friend. I`ve been there and done that, more than your average fan here bro, and Coach said at least 3 times if we win were in, that's all I was saying.
GO BEARS! CLAW THE HELL OUT OF EM`

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:41 pm 
Two-Time All-American

After taking a 3-0 lead on SELA...Nicholls gets outscored 62-0
SELA is the AQ.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:20 pm 
Redshirt

FOOT84 wrote:
After taking a 3-0 lead on SELA...Nicholls gets outscored 62-0
SELA is the AQ.

SELA only gets the AQ 2 ways
1). SHSU Loses and SELA are sole champs
2). SHSU Wins and NWST Wins then SHSU/ SELA CO-Champs and SELA AQ

SHSU gets the AQ with a Win vs UCA and an SFA win.
SHSU gets playoff selection with Win vs UCA.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:12 am 
Starter

SFA made playoffs against Northen Iowa, wow.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:34 pm 
Two-Time All-American

TBearDad wrote:
SFA made playoffs against Northen Iowa, wow.

Good for the conference to get 3 teams in. Bears had numerous
opportunities throughout the year...just couldn't make it happen.