It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Will there be a 2020 season ?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:37 am 
2nd Team

Well you will in 2021, and probably this year. The book on them this year, and probably next is they have no defense but their offense is "hell on wheels", so need to bring your "A" game on offense and score a lot of points.

Pretty much what I have told the Memphis fans, because it will probably be a track meet in their game too, and might come down to who gets the ball last.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:05 pm 
Team Captain

Big Sky canceled today

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:01 am 
UserName Retired

Pioneer did too.

That pretty much seals the fate of the FCS playoffs.
I think that's 8 of the conferences and well over 50% of the teams now not playing. #-o

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:16 am 
UserName Retired

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2020/aug/06/bears-have-ideas-after-ncaa-move/?latest

Note that SWAC and Ivy League do not participate in FCS playoffs anyway........why would they count in the 50% calculation?

Bears have ideas after NCAA move
by George Stoia | August 6, 2020 at 2:54 a.m.

"The NCAA Board of Governors announced Wednesday its full agenda for fall championships across all divisions, and one particular item might affect University of Central Arkansas athletics."

"It also stated that if 50% or more eligible teams in a sport cancel the fall season, then there will be no fall NCAA championship for that sport. And with the SWAC, MEAC, CAA, Northeast Conference, Ivy League and Patriot League already canceling or postponing its fall season, the FCS football playoffs are in jeopardy. Of the 127 FCS teams, 54 are members of the conferences that will not have a fall season -- 42.5%. Still, some of those conferences, like the CAA, are allowing members to play out of conference.

Conferences will be allowed to choose whether or not to play in the fall. And for UCA and the Southland Conference, they intend to play."

"I believe in the Southland Conference, our intent would be to play if there is not an NCAA championship as long as the virus allows us to," UCA Athletic Director Brad Teague said. "That's kind of where we are right now."

According to Teague, even if the Southland Conference decided to cancel the season, UCA would try to put together some sort of fall schedule.

"And there's probably six other institutions [in the Southland] that would do it as well," Teague said. "We would try to play those as well as maybe a Jacksonville State, Eastern Kentucky or Northern Alabama, schools in our proximity."

There's also the possibility of playing Arkansas State University on Sept. 19, a date that is open for both schools due to other game cancellations.

Teague and the Bears would like to play a regular schedule -- UCA is picked to win the Southland. But at this point, Teague just wants to play. And he's already coming up with ideas if there isn't a fall championship.

"It just seems like from colleagues around the country there will be several conferences participating, and if not, there's going to be some independents," he said. "The other thing we would like to do -- and of course we would have to get NCAA approval -- is if there is no FCS championship, we would intend on trying to find maybe a bowl game with another FCS conference. Basically, the winner from the Southland and another conference. Just to have some sort of postseason opportunity."

"Assuming Division I allows to play fall sports, then we've got to wait and see how many institutions can meet the testing criteria. Then we'll know if anybody is below the 50% mark," Teague said "So the NCAA does not look like it's going to cancel championships unless there's not enough participation. But what I can glean from our conversation with Southland ADs, is that even if there's not NCAA championships ... we intend to play."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:06 pm 
Team Captain

I was able to get out to see some of their evening practice Saturday night under the lights. I will say I was impressed with the group I watched. I am not surprised but definitely came away impressed. They flew around on both sides of the ball and seem to have a lot of length and size just looking from a distance. I am crossing my fingers this season doesn’t get messed up. I do think the bears could have something special if things play out normal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:22 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I am under the general impression that just like the flu...covid 19 is here to
stay and the country is just going to need to learn to deal with it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:20 pm 
All-Conference

FOOT84 wrote:
I am under the general impression that just like the flu...covid 19 is here to
stay and the country is just going to need to learn to deal with it.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:05 am 
UserName Retired

Strong likelyhood that the SLC will come out today and announce moving the football season to the Spring but members can play non-conf games.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:04 am 
All-Conference

im so sick of this

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:50 pm 
UserName Retired

It's done.

SLC playing spring ball...maybe.

UCA appears to be playing AP and ASU still and maybe even looking for other FBS games. Have been contacted by 3 FBS schools already!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:29 pm 
All-Conference

I read where the gang is working on it. I`m actually a little excited to see who we end up playing. Its kinda like that new golf course you've never played. I may be wrong but I get a sense that this Covid stuff may be headed back in the right direction, so I think the FBS "big boys" that bowed out are going to regret it. Who knows.
UCA was in a position to have an epic year. Lets hope in 2021 we still have a ton of studs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:27 pm 
Team Captain

Can we play in fall and spring? :) :lol: :) :lol:

Attachments:
A55B69F0-B2EA-4DD8-95ED-A17DF32ECB95.jpeg
A55B69F0-B2EA-4DD8-95ED-A17DF32ECB95.jpeg [ 160.17 KiB | Viewed 1534 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:21 pm 
UserName Retired

Be interesting to see how NCAA addresses spring sports since for some sports the number of games has a hard limit....say 11 for FCS football except in years when 12 are allowed. Many questions .......would playing games in fall reduce games in spring? Or would spring games somehow reduce fall 2021 games?

Impractical to have spring cross country season along with either indoor track or outdoor track seasons.

What a mess.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:15 pm 
Two-Time All-American

JRK wrote:
Be interesting to see how NCAA addresses spring sports since for some sports the number of games has a hard limit....say 11 for FCS football except in years when 12 are allowed. Many questions .......would playing games in fall reduce games in spring? Or would spring games somehow reduce fall 2021 games?

Impractical to have spring cross country season along with either indoor track or outdoor track seasons.

What a mess.

The November election will determine if this pandemic remains or goes away.
Either way...we're screwed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:36 pm 
UserName Retired

Twitter is saying UCA has scheduled a home and home with Missouri State THIS season. They come here first then we go there.

Pretty cool playing a team twice during the regular season in the same year!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next