It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting Over The Hump-Or at least past the second round.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:36 am 
All-Conference

First off, I want to say how thankful I am to watch a football program like UCA. It's fun to watch, easy to see, and awesome to see success in the Southland. However, why is it we can't get past the second round when it comes to playoffs? Is the Southland much worse overall than other conferences? From everything I am seeing, we are in the Top 5 for football conferences overall. The past 4 playoffs appearances (two at least with first round byes) it seems like we just can't push past. I will say Illinois State is a very good football team, and it seems like they travel well. Is this a talent issue overall or an attitude issue? Everything I am seeing, it just seems like we can't start out strong. You guys have a good week!

Post subject: Re: Getting Over The Hump-Or at least past the second round.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:05 pm 
UserName Retired

I have spoken to fans of the Ill. State team. They are a good team and their fans know it. They are built long and strong and have playoff experience and are in a tough conference.

The third rounds will not get any easier for us. :lol: We'd likely travel to a Dakota team or host one.

The SLC isn't as tough as some other conferences but it is getting better. SHSU has proven you can go far in the playoffs but MVFC teams have proven what it takes to actually win it all. Mainly NDSU. :lol:

I like what coach is building. At lease we are an Arkansas team that has an annual chance of winning a national championship in NCAA football. =D>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:00 am 
All-Conference

BearCountry wrote:
I have spoken to fans of the Ill. State team. They are a good team and their fans know it. They are built long and strong and have playoff experience and are in a tough conference.

The third rounds will not get any easier for us. :lol: We'd likely travel to a Dakota team or host one.

The SLC isn't as tough as some other conferences but it is getting better. SHSU has proven you can go far in the playoffs but MVFC teams have proven what it takes to actually win it all. Mainly NDSU. :lol:

I like what coach is building. At lease we are an Arkansas team that has an annual chance of winning a national championship in NCAA football. =D>

I do as well. I hope UCA invests in some facilities to bring in the best talent we can. Such as possibly a new Indoor Pratice Facility? I have heard it is aging? Anyway here is to hopefully many successful years under Coach Brown!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:22 pm 
UserName Retired

I was at both the New Hampshire and the Illinois State round 2 games......both UNH and ISU had very solid defenses..........UNH was the best man on man tackling team I have seen in a long time......... we left that one on the field as we dropped one almost for sure TD pass down the middle and we had a special teams breakdown which is not normal......ISU was a winnable game but they are solid on both sides.....I thought the difference was the strength of the right side of their DL....those guys pushed us around all day and blew up many running plays....still we were 2 plays away from the win.........both of those teams are very experienced playoff programs and come from very good conferences..........still we should win these at home......

No sure what is meant by an "aging" indoor facility.....I was in there last fall and it and the adjacent strength center looked pretty nice......

Southland is pretty balanced most years but certainly not up to MVC level.......I think of us about the level of the Colonial (Villanova, New Hampshire, James Madison, Maine...) and a step or two ahead of the OVC most years.....Big Sky seems to be off a bit in the last few years but still very tough.....we have not proven our meddle against those conferences except OVC (we are 2-2 vs Mo State from MVC but admittedly they are not the top of the MVC)....we have come a LONG way since joining D1.....just not quite there yet.......I like the way we play vs FBS programs as a gauge of our progress......we have had numerous teams take on P5 teams and do very well (Ole Miss, Texas Tech, O-State, Colorado)..........now to carry those efforts over into big FCS games consistently ....... getting close....Go Bears!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:27 pm 
Team Captain

Both ISU and UNH we were beat at the line all day. Coach knows what it takes and is building for it. Win the battle upfront against those types of teams and you have a chance of making noise.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:34 pm 
All-Conference

NCAA announced no championship game this year due to less than 50% participation because of Covid. I suppose that also has to mean no playoffs then.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:36 pm 
UserName Retired

For those of us who pay a lot of attention to line play, the Bama o-line put on a clinic vs Ole Miss in the 63-48 win last Saturday as to how to run the ball. Not only are they big and stout but quick off the line and pretty fast on pulls given 340 pound fellows.

Watch the two guards.....#55 and #65.....they are shaped like big bowling balls, about 6"3-6"4, 330-345 and very tenacious.......they will block their man backward for 10 yards.......pull on many plays and seal off the edge completely....then release into the next level looking for someone to flatten.....maybe they meet their match vs UGA but I doubt Ole Miss d-line was a pushover....

I am always impressed by how hard Bama players go at it....their backs are relentless....their receivers are tough as nails......their o-line always seem enormous and strong.........

Still, UGA is much the same........

We are definitely getting bigger on the o-line as compared to 4-5 years ago...of course, we will not have the depth of Bama as they have 20+ more scholarships and they use several of those for linemen for sure....

Football is still a LOS game.....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:23 pm 
Practice Squad

Line play and strength coach is the deciding factor on how well the team does. Our o and dline just don’t seem to have the physicalness to consistently punch opponents in the mouth as a whole and it shows by not getting past the second round and also barely winning games that should be easily won.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:54 pm 
UserName Retired

I think coaches might say we do not have the swagger of an Alabama....