It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Future UCA Growth-How much more is possible?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:48 am 
All-Conference

Hey guys, random Friday thought. Years down the road, after Covid is done and we are back to normal, how much more can UCA Football grow?

For example, currently I can't see the concession stands offering much else because of the Aramark contract. So that is a minus.

Also, while Conway and Central Arkansas has supported UCA, I am still seeing many seats empty on the home side as well as much of the visitor side. This includes the student section and other home sections.

While I think game experience went up quite a bit last year with the DJ (except the first game), and the new video board, I still think we can improve things. One thing is I think we can do a better job of fan interaction during the games. Not sure how we can do this currently, but why not be an innovator at the FCS level?

I am worried a little bit about more and more of people staying home with television quality becoming better and easier to access, but know this is a common problem everywhere.

I don't see the stadium expanding anytime soon, but I wish there was some features that the university could install that would create a louder atmosphere.

Anyway just random thoughts. You guys have a great weekend and let's beat AP!

Post subject: Re: Future UCA Growth-How much more is possible?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:37 pm 
All-Conference

I do feel like they will be getting more "attention" over the next few years but not sure how that will relate to "support". As we all know and have talked about here before, the Razorback faithful (even the ones who graduated from UCA) will be dug in with the Hogs. That's a shame, since they could actually support both and probably live a much happier football life.
We need to double down on marketing the athletics programs and especially the football team. Of course social media is important, but there are also some basic old school things that are being overlooked that would both boost home game attendance and lead to more dollars in the coffers.
I was in a small town in TN a few years back and they had the light poles in their historic downtown area adorned with small flags that had a players name and jersey on it along with dates of the home games. I thought that would be great for downtown Conway considering how popular it has become for shopping. It might not get as much attention from the men as the ladies, but would definitely get some. What about signs placed around popular intersections and businesses on home game days promoting that particular game and time. Some businesses would happily sponsor the signage. I would volunteer to put them out early Saturday mornings and pick them up late on Saturday nights. We need more banners hanging in local businesses. I have been SEVERELY disappointed with that. Things like these could slowly lead to more attendance and more support and who knows maybe some type of small expansions for Estes stadium. Once things start rolling along folks want to jump on board. More tailgating competitions like chili cook offs etc. more games. More tailgating on the grass instead of the asphalt. Just more more more!!!! We need those vendors to step it back up again once it gets back to normal but in a bigger way.
Obviously we need the "big boy" donors to step up and dump some funds in so some new projects could be completed. Estes needs work, and some expansion sure wouldnt hurt, I have a feeling we will need it by 2025 if you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:48 pm 
All-Conference

Money talks, bulls**t walks. we're ranked in the bottom half of the southland in terms of athletic budgets. Alumni need to donate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:43 pm 
UserName Retired

Lots of good ideas below and none too expensive........

Just FYI.....3000 more paying tickets at football for 6 games at $30 avg price is $540,000.....we will still be on the lower end...... but better.........

I would like to see data on "PCC" giving at other FCS schools or even FBS schools with similar size enrollment.........I know we are better than in the past but we need more.....this is similar to the issue that UCA Foundation has with a 100+ year old school that was mostly education majors for 80 years (still one our biggest donations came from a retired teacher) .....the grads who are successful in business, law, medicine, investments, etc are just now getting to a large enough group and time of life when giving is more top of mind......we have long had some in those groups but we should have more over time.......the Foundation is having much better success the past few years......about 2005 the Foundation had only about $3M and is much higher now in spite of two killer recessions...it takes time.......and hard work.....

Getting our students out consistently is a big challenge......we are not alone but still......

I still do not think people who live in Conway area realize we are true D1 and play really good football.......it is too easy to think of us as AIC level which is WAY wrong........I tell people frequently, if you want to see future pro players, come to any UCA game....our opponents as well as us have really good talent......on the other hand beat A-State every few years and the respect level will grow......beat an SEC or Big 10 team every once in a while to reinforce.......

We should be concerned about what happens to enrollment the next decade..the age demographics in Arkansas and most states do not favor much college enrollment growth, if any.....and the impact of remote classes will not serve to develop school spirit.......we will need to be very innovative as the competition for students will be fierce.....still, we have a great academic program to sell............

If we can get football attendance to a solid 10,000+ each game I think we would see real interest in expansion......

Does anyone think kickoff times hurt attendance?

Go Bears....beat APU.......!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:31 pm 
Redshirt

I don't think the University does a good job of advertising. I always thought doing a free or half price admission on certain dates for highschools in the area would help. Potentially getting them to come on other dates. I've had a few friends that I paid for tickets and they enjoyed the game so much they came back on their own.

Maybe having a free concert with a game ticket?

All in all, the University has to make a significant effort to get a return.