It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UCA@ArkansasState
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:54 pm 
UserName Retired

Half 1: Early scouting of RWs in game tonight vs Memphis at Liberty Bowl.....Memphis leads 21-14 at half a 80 yard drive to score with 24 seconds left........State led 14-7 after Q1........

Both teams have put up good offense numbers...........A-State 139P/100R=239 total vs UM's 148P/134R=282 total.......

State has played two QBs...Logan Bonner and Layne Hatcher.....each had good stats.....Jamal Jones ran 12/62 for RWs but they scored with two hard inside runs inside 10 by Azubuike and Graham.........RWs punter hit a 50 yarder in the air that rolled into end zone for 57 yarder......

Brady White looks pretty solid at QB for Tigers.......14/19/148/2TDs/0INTs.......plus 21 yds rushing........only three receivers have catches.....

RWs d-line looks really big (esp #92 Forrest Merrill) and certainly giving Memphis some problems running the ball inside.....playing pretty soft off receivers....

Half 2:

State onsides kick after a FG early in Q3........pretty aggressive.........unfortunately kicked right to Memphis' top receiver.....

RWs #87 TE (Reed Tyler?) ....big, strong TE who can run well..........

Brady White picking State's DBs apart.....2 nice TD passes inside 10 in Q3....now 34-17.....

RWs has good looking WRs...........Green and Paul 6'4+ and lean .....

Tigers have 4th and 2 in their end of the field near end of Q3 and directs snaps to a 277# DE as an upback blocker for punter an he runs like Jerome Pettis for the 1st down...very impressive run..........not sure I would have called that in a game up 17 and telegraph to future opponents that play is in the book when my defense is playing so well...........

RWs pick up pace on pass coverage with several good breakups but Memphis receivers too good to stop entirely.......Memphis kicks FG to go up 37-17 but credit RW defense for a nice stop after first and goal....

Keep an eye on TE #85 Amos......another offensive weapon for RWs.....

Likewise, have to account of #22 RB Lincoln Pare .....

State scores on a odd drive that had 4-5 Memphis penalties but a couple nice receptions and runs by RWs.....now Memphis by 37-24....

State has an impressive 2 minute drive down to Memphis 10 but cannot get it in....Layne Hatcher's only possession in H2 as QB........

FINAL - Memphis 37 ASU 24

Total Offense:
ASU - 125R/28-44-299-1TD-2INTs = 424 total
Memphis - 223R/26-36-275-4Tds-1INT = 498 total

Big factor was Memphis had 4TD passes and i INT while State had 1 TD pass and 2 INTs......

Memphis was Memphis......athletes every where, run pass run pass (repeat) an solid QB play ......lots of talent but not as sharp as normal.........

State - we will have our hands full and will have to play better than either Vs APU or UAB.....I think our offense can be effective with good execution although RWs interior defense look tough.....as well as our defense has played so far, they will have lots of challenges vs State........

Post subject: Re: UCA@ArkansasState
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:35 pm 
All-Conference

Nice scout. A State looks very tough and had chances to beat an 11 win team from last year. Saw same defensive attributes as well...wolves were playing well off the ball to limit the chunk plays (much like we did vs. UAB). I really liked the interior DLs from A State; they were big and mean and very disruptive. I would expect a lot more aggressive style vs UCA.

The key to the win in 2016 was the elimination of the red wolves run game which forced them to the air. We had two potential NFL D Backs there to make plays and came out with the win. Can we do the same in 2020?

A State plays a middle of the road P5 school in Kansas St. this week. KSU is coming off a bowl season but is having to replace key contributors on both sides. Very interested to see how the A State offense fairs against them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:22 pm 
UserName Retired

Below links to KSU's coaches interviews...first link is a recap of the KSU/ASU game...............I suspect like our coaches they watched every play of the ASU v Memphis game with great interest........Wildcats traditionally (of course, that was largely Coach Snyder's team) is a team hard to beat and wins games no one picked them to win.........and they do not overlook "lesser" opponents (think UCA a few years back).....

https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2020/9/7/football-cats-open-2020-campaign-with-visit-from-arkansas-state.aspx

https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2020/9/7/sports-extra-q-a-with-k-state-head-football-coach-chris-klieman.aspx

https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2020/9/3/football-k-state-coordinators-meets-with-media-on-thursday.aspx

JOE KLANDERMAN, DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR
On Arkansas State quarterback Layne Hatcher and being able to watch him on Saturday...
"Well, there's no luxury, I'll tell you that. I'd say what makes him really scary is that he extends plays, he's very pocket-aware. The other thing that makes him really effective is that his accuracy is really good. He throws a tremendously accurate deep ball, he hits guys in stride and he has very good vision. The ball goes where it should based on the coverage, and he's usually right. He's a little bit of a risk taker at time, but most of the time that's paid off for him."

KEY POINT OF WILDCAT PRIDE

CATS TOPS IN NON-OFFENSIVE TDs
• K-State is the nation's best in non-offensive touchdowns over the last 21 seasons as it has 118 since 1999, 10 more than the next closest team.
• Since 1999, the Wildcats are averaging 5.6 non-offensive touchdowns per year, while the yearly average for the other 105 teams to play FBS football since 1999 is 2.7.
• Kansas State's average is boosted by the fact that it has at least five non-offensive touchdowns in seven of the last nine years, which included the 2019 season.
• The Wildcats had a nation-leading four kickoff-return touchdowns a season ago – including three from individual leader Joshua Youngblood – while Jonathan Alexander returned a fumble for a touchdown in the season opener against Nicholls, and Phillip Brooks returned a punt 66 yards for a score in the Liberty Bowl.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:49 pm 
All-Conference

bears will have their hands full next saturday. it could get bad in jonesboro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:26 pm 
All-Conference

huggy_bear wrote:
bears will have their hands full next saturday. it could get bad in jonesboro

Only if we get off to our typical slow start, if we have a good first half, I expect a damn good game.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:09 am 
2nd Team

Out of the frying pan into the fire this week for A-State's defense as they face your potent offense.

According to the Jonesboro Sun today they were missing nine starters yesterday, three LB's, two CB's, two OL's, a WR and a RB, and no clue when they will return or who will be added this week.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:04 am 
All-Conference

RW held K state to 10 2nd half points with basically their 2nd team defense. holding deuce vaughn in check was the most impressive part of that win. we knew jonathan adams was good (although he had an unbelievable game yesterday), but the toughness of the defense was really impressive. if/when their starters return, that should only improve.

hats off to stAte, that was one hell of a win and has given the state of arkansas another great spotlight win in 2020.

the atmosphere in jonesboro will be a bit more normal i would suspect even though the stadium won’t be full. i expect the best effort from UCA to date with the breylin and the wrs in sync from the start. interested to see if jack short and jarrod barnes play bigger rolls in the scheme...it feels like the offense is morphing that direction.

imagine we’ll have to play off the ball on the outside to limit big plays which means bend don’t break. sustaining drives will be critical or the defense will get worn out. both teams haven’t taken care of the football very well this year, so who be able to cash in when opportunity knocks might be the difference maker.

there will be a natural let down for stAte after the biggest win for the school in a decade. no matter how much the revenge theme is stated, that win was huge. hope i’m wrong but i don’t see UCA keeping pace for 60 minutes, but this will be closer than stAte fans will want

stAte 42 - UCA 27

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:23 am 
2nd Team

Hard to talk about what to expect when you have to wait until the players take the field to see who is playing.

The good thing for both schools is they both recruit better athletes every year, so when they have to throw in a youngster at least they have talent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:54 pm 
2nd Team

Here is the first prediction I've seen:
The Central Arkansas Bears visit Centennial Bank Stadium in Jonesboro, Arkansas on Saturday to play the Arkansas State Red Wolves. Central Arkansas dropped to 1-1 following a 45-35 loss a week ago Thursday to the UAB Blazers. In the loss, Central Arkansas allowed 17 unanswered points by UAB before scoring 14 points late in the fourth quarter. Breylin Smith passed for 193 yards and three touchdowns in the loss for Central Arkansas.

Breylin Smith has passed for 476 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions while being sacked four times. The leading rusher for Central Arkansas is Kierre Crossley with 169 yards and one touchdown, Lujuan Winningham is the leading receiver with 12 receptions for 133 yards and three touchdowns. Cameron Godfrey, TJ Campbell and Chris Kershner each have eight tackles to lead the Central Arkansas defense.

Arkansas State improved to 1-1 following it's stunning 35-31 upset victory over the Kansas State Jayhawks on Saturday. Jonathan Adams Jr. caught a touchdown pass with 38 seconds to play lifting the Red Wolves to the victory. Adams’ touchdown was one of three TD receptions on the day for the wide receiver. The Arkansas State defense came up big holding Kansas State to just 91 yards on the ground and used three trick plays during the day that all eventually led to points.

Logan Bonner is the leading passer for Arkansas State with 204 yards, two touchdowns and one interception, while Layne Hatcher has passed for 61 yards and two touchdowns. The leading rusher for Arkansas State is Jamal Jones with 95 yards and the leading receiver is Jonathan Adams Jr. with 98 yards and three touchdown receptions. On defense, Elery Alexander and Jaden Harris are the leading tacklers with nine apiece.

Arkansas State Red Wolves -17
Arkansas State is coming off a stunning upset victory over the Kansas State Wildcats on Saturday 35-31. The Red Wolves had entered the game as 14.5-point underdogs. Arkansas State has covered the number in four of its last five overall and at home has won 16 of its last 20 straight up. Central Arkansas has failed to win 11 if its last 13 SU on the road. Final Score Prediction, Arkansas State Red Wolves win and cover ATS 41-10.

https://freepicks.picksandparlays.net/m ... redictions

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:40 pm 
All-Conference

Currently, I think A-State is on a roll. I think they are most likely to win this game, however, the final score will be based on if UCA gets off to a fast start or not. Hopefully the play calling will be there as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:06 pm 
2nd Team

The problem, as we found out last week is no one knows who is available for either team, so this prediction is just a guess based on who someone thinks will play.

Their advantage is having more players on the roster to absorb player losses, if they get some of the MIA's back, and don't add to the list.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:15 pm 
UserName Retired

Two big factors:

Who is available for this game for both teams.

Can UCA actually start off scoring.

From what I've seen of ASU so far they have a pass game. Every team we've played that had a pass game has won handily.

While I see the Red Wolves are on a roll, I don't see them winning because of their offense or defense...I see them winning because of our lack of ability to get started on offense because of what we don't do.

I will say otherwise if the ASU defensive line breaks through disrupting our offense over and over of course. But if Breylin has time to pass and our RBs have good runs and we still don't score....

I've got my tickets.
I will be there win or lose.
It's always fun to play in-state..even if the drive up there is boring. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:12 pm 
2nd Team

Again don't let me posting a prediction give the false impression I agree with that prediction. I really don't have a feel other than two talented Arkansas teams will play Saturday.

Will tout both wonderful programs on Hogville regardless, so feel free to chime.

https://forums.hogville.net/index.php?board=119.0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:36 am 
Redshirt

BearCountry wrote:
Two big factors:

From what I've seen of ASU so far they have a pass game. Every team we've played that had a pass game has won handily.

Not a single sack this season so far (as of ESPN, thought I saw 1) so this would check out.

Must be pretty chill back there and QBs get more confident as game goes on, or 2nd string guys can come in with very little pressure.

What I'll be looking at sunday.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:04 am 
2nd Team

Listening to their DC in his presser, he recognizes the challenge his defense faces Saturday. Did not say so but get the impression they expect to be short handed again.

Said BA is reminding everyone that he has been waiting five years for this game.

Wonder why?