It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UCA to the Atlantic Sun Conference?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:38 pm 
All-Conference

It seems like multiple sources are pointing towards UCA moving towards the Atlantic Sun. With many Texas Schools possibly heading to the WAC. I hope UCA explores this opportunity as it could be big for future success of the school in all sports. I thought they may originally have looked at the Ohio Valley Conference, but doesn't look like they got any kind of invite?

The big question..... With everything I am reading...... It looks like the Atlantic Sun Football conference would be D1 FBS with Liberty already being at the FBS level? That would be hugeeeeeee. Can anyone offer their thoughts?

Post subject: Re: UCA to the Atlantic Sun Conference?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:16 am 
All-Conference

Mulerider wrote:
It seems like multiple sources are pointing towards UCA moving towards the Atlantic Sun. With many Texas Schools possibly heading to the WAC. I hope UCA explores this opportunity as it could be big for future success of the school in all sports. I thought they may originally have looked at the Ohio Valley Conference, but doesn't look like they got any kind of invite?

The big question..... With everything I am reading...... It looks like the Atlantic Sun Football conference would be D1 FBS with Liberty already being at the FBS level? That would be hugeeeeeee. Can anyone offer their thoughts?

Liberty plays football as an independent. UCA is not jumping to FBS anytime soon.

The A-Sun has a deal with the Big South to let it's FCS football playing members have an associate membership with the Big South. If UCA and UCA only join the A-Sun, then we would play in the Big South next year in football and the A-Sun for every other sport.

However, the A-Sun is wanting to start a football league, but if they are courting Jax St., EKU and UCA, then the league will play football in the FCS.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:50 pm 
All-Conference

This article focuses way to much on travel distance but does well in trying to make sense of all the rumors:

https://sportsenthusiasts.net/2020/12/1 ... -arkansas/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:28 pm 
UserName Retired

Hard to keep up with Texas public universities in money matters......we need to find a good home.....may have to be creative.....I know some of the La schools have been very pinched for money but a football conference with a core of UCA, McNeese, Nicholls and SLU is pretty solid.....may have to keep IWU and HBU ...who else could be added?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:25 am 
All-Conference

JRK wrote:
Hard to keep up with Texas public universities in money matters......we need to find a good home.....may have to be creative.....I know some of the La schools have been very pinched for money but a football conference with a core of UCA, McNeese, Nicholls and SLU is pretty solid.....may have to keep IWU and HBU ...who else could be added?

Not sure why UCA would want to stick with the Southland especially if Texas Schools loose. Even if we were to move to the Atlantic Sun or Ohio Valley, we will still be able to recruit fairly well for Football. We are at the point in the program now that we get top level D1 FBS transfers that don't just quite make it or we get the guys willing to work and stay all 4 years from high school.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:30 pm 
All-Conference

tend to agree. you're losing the flagship schools of the conference in the three major sports (SHSU in football/baseball, SFA in basketball) of the past decade plus ACU and Lamar who are committed to and investing in athletics.

There aren't any area schools left to add except D2 transitions. We need to look north and/or east.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:27 pm 
All-Conference

huggy_bear wrote:
tend to agree. you're losing the flagship schools of the conference in the three major sports (SHSU in football/baseball, SFA in basketball) of the past decade plus ACU and Lamar who are committed to and investing in athletics.

There aren't any area schools left to add except D2 transitions. We need to look north and/or east.

+1 Completely agree.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:31 pm 
Practice Squad

UCA will be in the Atlantic Sun as they will be starting the conference next year. The four Texas schools announcement to the WAC could come as early as tomorrow, I wish Mcneese could come to the Atlantic Sun with us I would really like that given our history and the tradition that Mcneese has.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:34 pm 
UserName Retired

I really would miss not being part of a conference with the Louisiana football schools...especially McNeese....but also SLU, Nicholls and NWS....

Just curious what's the status of Central Oklahoma (almost 15,000 enrollment).....are they just squeezed out of D! in Ok due to OU, OSU and Tulsa who all have very strong fan support? Solid academic school also...

Brad has his work cut out on this one.........really need to keep the Texas and Gulf Coast recruiting base somehow.....agree we have developed national scope in getting prospects attention but that is pretty hard to use as the base....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:52 am 
All-Conference

I have learned that UCA is in meetings with the ASUN.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:29 am 
All-Conference

Papabear wrote:

The word on campus is that the deal is done....unknown when the announcement will be made.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:05 am 
All-Conference

Beau wrote:
Papabear wrote:

The word on campus is that the deal is done....unknown when the announcement will be made.

Very excited for what this could bring for future growth for the University. Not sure if there will be too much difference with sports like baseball or softball. I know for basketball it will be a much better conference year by year just with the quality that the other teams have put on the floor in the past. Curious how football will work out, but UCA showed this past year they can hang with anyone. As for other sports, your guess is as good as mine. My guess with Football is they will become an FCS independent, while the Atlantic Sun works out if they want to move up to FBS or not for football.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:19 pm 
UserName Retired

UCA would have to play football in the Big South as I think the ASUN and the Big South have an agreement of some sort.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:54 pm 
All-Conference

BearCountry wrote:
UCA would have to play football in the Big South as I think the ASUN and the Big South have an agreement of some sort.

Not sure, Stetson plays in the Pioneer League. I would think we can play independently if we wanted. I think it would be a ton in travel cost if we tried to play in the Pioneer league. Let alone, should win it immediately.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:29 pm 
All-Conference

pioneer league is for D-1 schools that don't award scholarships in football. that's not us.

We are going to the big south for football unless the A-Sun can get enough members to start its own league and have an auto bid. I would suspect that is the delay in announcing.