It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: UCA to the Atlantic Sun Conference?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:07 pm 
All-Conference

I'd like to see the Bears play at WMS. Every time we have played there we have drawn pretty good crowds. I would like to see us stay in the southland or go to the OVC. Playing as an independent would make it almost impossible to get in the playoff. If going to the ASUN means improving our athletic program then I'm for it. I wouldn't be able to travel as much to away games.

Go Bears

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:45 pm 
Practice Squad

The Atlantic sun will be starting a football conference should be announced soon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:59 pm 
All-Conference

Bearsfromtexas wrote:
The Atlantic sun will be starting a football conference should be announced soon
FBS or FCS?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:06 pm 
Practice Squad

VolleyBear wrote:
Bearsfromtexas wrote:
FBS or FCS?

FCS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:22 am 
All-Conference

Bearsfromtexas wrote:
VolleyBear wrote:
Bearsfromtexas wrote:
FBS or FCS?

FCS

Been hearing it for several days....wonder what the holdup is ?

With the holidays here, it may be after the first of the year before we hear anything.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:56 am 
All-Conference

I believe the powers to be are still working out the details. I don't look for any announcement till after the 1st of the year. This is only my thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 am 
Redshirt

Hi, first time poster here, and UNA fan...

What we have been told, and what I know the ASUN is trying to do, after several conversations with various people in the inner works(what they would tell me)

The ASUN wants to have football soon.

The ASUN presidents have agreed to expand to 14.

There will be NO splitting the conference.

Until there is enough schools with football, UCA, JSU, and EKU will play in the Big South. The Big South football will have 12 members, I'm being told that they are looking at having 2 divisions (ASUN schools plus one) in one division the rest in the other. There is nothing concrete on that though.

The ASUN will also look at some schools for possible football only memberships. Per ASUN commissioner.

If this does actually happen, the ASUN will have a very strong FCS conference consists of UCA, EKU, JSU, KSU and UNA... dont know who else will eventually be involved.

As for non football, they seem to want a divisional conference. Have 6-7 school divisions

North
Liberty, EKU, Bellarmine, UCA, Lipscomb, North Alabama

South
JSU, KSU, North Florida, Jacksonville, Stetson, and FGCU...

Other schools I have heard mentioned as possibilities are

Chattanooga, SLU, Northwestern St, Nicholls, Mcneese and West Florida.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:44 pm 
All-Conference

Lion1983, looks like a big conference in the making. I don't know what UCA is going to do but I know travel cost is fixing to go up if we move to the Big South or Scon. I hope the Louisiana schools get invited. I feel bad for Houston Baptist and Incarnate word. Change is not easy. Looks like the Bears are in for more stiffer completion. Anyone who reads this post please join in and give us your thoughts.
Go Bears, Papa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:22 pm 
Team Captain

Quote:
I feel bad for Houston Baptist and Incarnate word. Change is not easy.

:shock: [-X

Their lack of investment in athletics is what’s driven the Texas 4 to want to leave the Southland... My rural High School has a second “old” gym that’s superior to HBUs facilities.

Wherever we land I hope it’s with like minded universities, with similar athletic budgets, and a long history of competitive teams. If it’s with the ASUN it’s just a bonus because I live out East these days and that’s my backyard.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:15 am 
Redshirt

[quote="Papabear"]Lion1983, looks like a big conference in the making. I don't know what UCA is going to do but I know travel cost is fixing to go up if we move to the Big South or Scon. I hope the Louisiana schools get invited. I feel bad for Houston Baptist and Incarnate word. Change is not easy. Looks like the Bears are in for more stiffer completion. Anyone who reads this post please join in and give us your thoughts.
Go Bears, Papa[/quote

If what I think happens, happens, travel cost may not go up as much as you may think, and honestly may go down.

If the ASUN stays at 12 for a couple of years, and remains in the Big South for football, Big South football will have 12 schools.

Been told if this happens, the Big South (football) could split into divisions with ASUN schools in one division together....

Who knows how it will work, but I do know the ASUN is hell bent on starting football in the ASUN. So being in the Big South will be temporary anyway.

As far as the Louisiana schools, i think they and the remaining Texas schools will be fine. The Southland can get several Lone Star Conference schools to move up.

Looks like the ASUN wants a GSC 2.0 type of conference. And that ain't a bad thing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:55 pm 
All-Conference

Down for a gulf south reboot. Sometimes i wish we didn't move...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:14 pm 
All-Conference

Some of the southland schools don't have as big a budget like the others. They will get there with time. I would like to see McNeese, Nichols, S.E. LA, and N.W. ST. come over to the ASUN. These teams are not bad ones. If they stay in the southland then I think Delta ST. would like to move to the southland. Maybe some lone star schools as well. Eastern New Mexico would be a nice fit. Go Bears.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:44 am 
Two-Time All-American

HBU and UIW should never been
Allowed to join the SLC...was a bad move
from the start

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:31 pm 
All-Conference

Foot84, I agree with you 100%. I know the conference powers to be had good intentions. Maybe there was an agreement to upgrade there facilities as their budget would allow. I really don't know but just guessing. I think Delta state would have been better for the conference. Mo. western would have had a better chance at success in the southland. I hope we know something soon about the ASUN having football. I am beginning to believe it's a done deal. Just my opinion. How do you think the Bears would do in the Big South conference? This question is open for anyone to reply. Go Bears

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:19 pm 
UserName Retired

UCA and SFA are not included in the SLC website article about this year’s recruiting classes. Looks final to me. UCA to the Big South in football and ASUN in every other sport.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next