It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: UCA to the Atlantic Sun Conference?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:14 pm 
Redshirt

BearCountry wrote:
UCA and SFA are not included in the SLC website article about this year’s recruiting classes. Looks final to me. UCA to the Big South in football and ASUN in every other sport.

They are now...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:19 pm 
Redshirt

Papabear wrote:
Foot84, I agree with you 100%. I know the conference powers to be had good intentions. Maybe there was an agreement to upgrade there facilities as their budget would allow. I really don't know but just guessing. I think Delta state would have been better for the conference. Mo. western would have had a better chance at success in the southland. I hope we know something soon about the ASUN having football. I am beginning to believe it's a done deal. Just my opinion. How do you think the Bears would do in the Big South conference? This question is open for anyone to reply. Go Bears

Your talking about a Big South football conference that, of this happens, will have UCA, EKU, JSU, UNA, KSU, NCA&T, Campbell and Monmouth among some others. But that's the power group.

I couldn't tell you how anyone would do in that conference, but I can tell you it would surpass the SoCon and CAA in overall strength...

I would thing the top 4 conferences would be in order

MVFC, Big Sky, Big South,..............CAA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:15 pm 
All-Conference

Glad A&T made the jump away from HBCU schools. no disrespect but they are a strong program and deserve to compete for titles.

looks like a great league

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:15 pm 
All-Conference

I would welcome the move for the Bears. I wish we could know something now. 2020 has thrown us for a loop this season. I am ready for the 2021 season now. the covid vaccine will be issued and we can have football like precovid times. Go Bears GO. Are you ready for some ASUN football?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:52 am 
All-Conference

First of all....some good discussion on the topic. This post, like alot of mine, will be somewhat scattered.

Some thoughts....

I wonder if this potential move to the ASUN/Big South is temporary until something else more regional opens up ?

Regarding the Louisiana schools....most of them particularly with their athletic programs are in dire financial straits. Could be wrong, but I don't see any of them trying to make that move with UCA. Northwestern State and Nichols, for example, have struggled with the finances for a number of years.

Can't recall who posted this, but your right....Houston Baptist and Incarnate Word
should have never been brought in to the Southland. I don't know if any of you have been to HBU's gym, but it is smaller than the old Grove Gym at Hendrix College. BIG, BIG mistake made by the SLC. Suspect the SLC wanted them in because of media exposure in San Antonio and Houston...just a thought.

Finally, if this move is made and I suspect it will....I wonder what happens to our future non-conference schedules ? Next year, UCA is suppose to play ASU, Missouri State and UAPB....2022, we were scheduled to play Missouri State and Ole Miss and in 2023, we were scheduled at Oklahoma State.

Just some thoughts....hope every has a Merry Christmas.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:12 am 
All-Conference

I hope we can keep our future non conference schedules. I think it's important that we keep them intact. A move to the Big South is huge news to the Conway community and the state.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:43 am 
All-Conference

Papabear wrote:
I hope we can keep our future non conference schedules. I think it's important that we keep them intact. A move to the Big South is huge news to the Conway community and the state.

I would agree that keeping the future non-conference schedules would be important. Hope that can happen.

I am not sure if it is HUGE news to Conway and the state about moving to the Big South. Honestly, I suspect there are very few people in the Conway area that actually cares alot about the program other than the ones that support it week in and week out. Unfortunately, the truth hurts on that one and it is a total shame. UCA has a very good history with North Alabama from the Gulf South days. We beat Presbyterium in the playoffs a few years back and Gardner Webb is one of those programs we use to see regularly in the old NAIA Polls.

We shall see....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:37 pm 
Redshirt

I wouldn't worry too much about the Big South if and when this happens... it may just be for a year or two.

The ASUN has made no secret about starting football ASAP. The commissioner has also said that there are potential football only member options he feels good about.

I have heard through different people in different positions and rolls about targets for expansion in the ASUN.

UCA, EKU, JSU, West Florida, Chattanooga are the top targets to help start football in the conference.

Have also got wind that UALR has contacted the ASUN about a possible move... being that the ASUN seems focused on football, I wonder if they are thinking of starting FCS football? They were in the ASUN before the Sun Belt.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:22 am 
All-Conference

Lion1983 wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about the Big South if and when this happens... it may just be for a year or two.

The ASUN has made no secret about starting football ASAP. The commissioner has also said that there are potential football only member options he feels good about.

I have heard through different people in different positions and rolls about targets for expansion in the ASUN.

UCA, EKU, JSU, West Florida, Chattanooga are the top targets to help start football in the conference.

Have also got wind that UALR has contacted the ASUN about a possible move... being that the ASUN seems focused on football, I wonder if they are thinking of starting FCS football? They were in the ASUN before the Sun Belt.

First of all Good Morning and Merry Christmas.....

I don't know see Little Rock as a candidate for the ASUN, particularly with football.
They did an extensive study a few years ago looking at adding football to their program and decided not to do it.

Certainly, situations change, but I don't see them making that move.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:55 am 
All-Conference

Merry Christmas to you and your family. I am really enjoying the conversation about the Bears moving to the Big South Conference. The level of competition will be higher. IMO a relationship with Jesus Christ will be the most important key of success. Recruiting and Coaching is another.The Bears need to preform on and off the field. We live in uncertain times now, not just the pandemic, but a decayed society as well. I want to see all of our students do well in their college years and have a bright future. The community of Conway needs to support UCA athletics. Thanks for letting me post, Go Bears,
Papabear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:59 am 
All-Conference

Football at UALR isn’t happening. previous AD, Chasse Conque, got run out trying to pursue it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:07 am 
All-Conference

Lets move our home games to WMS and watch our attendance and publicity grow. what do you all think?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:47 am 
All-Conference

Papabear wrote:
Lets move our home games to WMS and watch our attendance and publicity grow. what do you all think?

Papabear....I respectfully disagree with you on this. We don't fill Estes Stadium now and the times we have played games in Little Rock, the attendance has not been great. Little Rock does not give two hoots about our program. That is unfortunate.

If and when Estes is running over, one might consider playing a game at WMS, but I don't see that happening soon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:55 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Announcement coming soon.....

BPSG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:42 pm 
Starter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next