It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: UCA to the Atlantic Sun Conference?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:30 am 
All-Conference

I hope it's this fall. Playing in a conference that you are leaving is not good. Everybody will want to give the Bears a hard send off. The Big South will be fun. Maybe our financial situation and attendance will improve. I know that people think that playing at WMS is a bad idea. The people of Little Rock and surrounding areas would love to have a football team to support. I don't think UALR is going to have football. Playing at WMS would be fun and yes the crowds would be a little thin at first but would increase every year and maybe so much we could move to the FBS. I'm just speaking blessings over the Bears. I have faith and all thing are possible in Christ Jesus. Go Bears Go
Papa :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:45 pm 
All-Conference

Papabear wrote:
I hope it's this fall. Playing in a conference that you are leaving is not good. Everybody will want to give the Bears a hard send off. The Big South will be fun. Maybe our financial situation and attendance will improve. I know that people think that playing at WMS is a bad idea. The people of Little Rock and surrounding areas would love to have a football team to support. I don't think UALR is going to have football. Playing at WMS would be fun and yes the crowds would be a little thin at first but would increase every year and maybe so much we could move to the FBS. I'm just speaking blessings over the Bears. I have faith and all thing are possible in Christ Jesus. Go Bears Go
Papa :thumbup:

After talking to a few folks this morning, I would guesstimate that we have played our last games in the Southland. That is what it looks like anyway.

We can only hope on the financial situation, but right now, I know for a fact that money is TIGHT in all areas of the campus.

Honestly, I don't get your point about Little Rock would love to have a football team to support. They have not supported UCA, UAPB or any other team from Arkansas that has played there other than a team from northwest Arkansas. I guess I will agree to disagree with you on that one along with your point on going to FBS....on that one, I just don't see that one happening, at all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:54 pm 
All-Conference

Spoke with someone this morning. The last Southland event UCA will be apart of is the conference baseball tournament. UCA and the ASUN are still working out details on announcement as the ASUN is still under negotiations with other schools. However, UCA is for sure leaving and will be either in the Big South or a new ASUN Football conference in the fall.

Not really understanding the LR talk either. LR is solidly red, and no amount of razorback hatred on here is going to change that. Not to say there aren't supporters and boosters around the metro, it just doesn't stack up. If we can challenge for an FCS title or make noise in basketball, maybe we can start to change the dynamic. Winning solves a lot of problems.

I'd rather not move to FBS, and it's simply not a real possibility by any metric at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:48 pm 
All-Conference

huggy_bear wrote:
Spoke with someone this morning. The last Southland event UCA will be apart of is the conference baseball tournament. UCA and the ASUN are still working out details on announcement as the ASUN is still under negotiations with other schools. However, UCA is for sure leaving and will be either in the Big South or a new ASUN Football conference in the fall.

Not really understanding the LR talk either. LR is solidly red, and no amount of razorback hatred on here is going to change that. Not to say there aren't supporters and boosters around the metro, it just doesn't stack up. If we can challenge for an FCS title or make noise in basketball, maybe we can start to change the dynamic. Winning solves a lot of problems.

I'd rather not move to FBS, and it's simply not a real possibility by any metric at the moment.

Pretty much agree with you.....your right, winning solves alot of problems. I would
love for us to make some noise in mens basketball, but perhaps, that is too much wishful thinking on my part.

Anxious to see how all of this falls out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:40 pm 
Redshirt

huggy_bear wrote:

I'm hearing everyone's on board....

An, there needs to be less FBS schools, not more....

There's only 1 D1 NCAA National championship anyway, it's in FCS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:48 am 
All-Conference

Lion1983 wrote:
huggy_bear wrote:

Certainly good news.....Lion, are you hearing anything about any of the Louisiana
schools wanting to join at some point ? I personally doubt that any of them could or would want to at this point, but one never knows. Thanks for sharing your information.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:17 pm 
Redshirt

Beau wrote:
Lion1983 wrote:
huggy_bear wrote:

Certainly good news.....Lion, are you hearing anything about any of the Louisiana
schools wanting to join at some point ? I personally doubt that any of them could or would want to at this point, but one never knows. Thanks for sharing your information.

I have heard the possibility of a couple joining, but nothing set in stone... there is history there with them and the Old Gulf South, but very little. I think SE wants to do it and maybe Mcneese, but dont know for sure...

The main schools after EKU, JSU and yall that I'm hearing is eventually Chattanooga and West Florida.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:24 pm 
All-Conference

Thanks for the quick response Lion....I could honestly see SELA and/or McNeese being interested some day. I doubt very serious the other Louisiana schools would.

Time will tell............

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:09 am 
UserName Retired

"There's only 1 D1 NCAA National championship anyway, it's in FCS."

Amen.....I cannot recall a year that I thought anyone left out of the FCS Top 8 had a real chance to win it all...........I think more than 16 is just to let more schools hang flags in their stadiums....but have a lot of conferences means a lot of auto qualifiers to be "fair"....FCS could even go to 12 with the Top 4 having a round 1 bye ....no perfect way......

Just for fun........look at the Dec 2019 Sagarin ratings....FCS conferences...

53.01, MVC
50.47, Big Sky
50.40, CAA
42.58, Southland
44.75, Ivy
41.04, OVC
40.79, Southern
33.85, Patriot
33.59, SWAC-West
33.49, Big South
33.37, Northeast
30.70, MEAC
24.63, Pioneer
29.13, SWAC-East

The top SLC teams were....
51.39, Southeastern
50.34, Nicholls
50.12, SHS
49.07, UCA
44.71, McNeese

Now the Big South teams....
53.48, Kennesaw State
52.58, Monmouth
36.61, Charleston Southern
32.98, Campbell
31.11, North Alabama

Go Bears!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:08 pm 
All-Conference

Does anyone think we will have a announcement next week?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:57 pm 
Redshirt

Papabear wrote:

I was told around the 5th... dont hold me to that though.

Seriously, would the Southland be better off to drop football, and let Southland football schools play in the ASUN as associates? What would the legality of that be? That's just a curiosity question.

I think the ASUN will eventually find 2 more football schools to round out a serious FCS conference.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:03 pm 
UserName Retired

More trivia from 2019 Sagarin ratings for the suspected teams mentioned in prior posts....

Big South
53.48, KSU
52.58, Monmouth
50.13, NCA&T
49.07, UCA
45.08, EKU
43.03, JSU
38.12, RMU
32.98, Campbell
31.11, UNA
25.99, Hampton
25.39, Gardner Webb

A-Sun
60.11, Liberty, FBS transition (?)
53.48, KSU
49.07, UCA
45.08, EKU
43.03, JSU
31.11, UNA
23.33, Stetson
Bellarmine, A-Sun no football
FGCU, A-Sun no football
Jacksonville U, A-Sun no football (?)
Lipscomb, A-Sun no football
North Florida, A-Sun no football

Others mentioned.....
45.74, McNeese
52.25, Southeastern
42.82, Chattanooga
West Florida...D2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:25 pm 
All-Conference

Lion1983 wrote:
Papabear wrote:

I was told around the 5th... dont hold me to that though.

Seriously, would the Southland be better off to drop football, and let Southland football schools play in the ASUN as associates? What would the legality of that be? That's just a curiosity question.

I think the ASUN will eventually find 2 more football schools to round out a serious FCS conference.

You bring up a interesting question....have no ideas on the legalities....Heck, I'm just a fan.....;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:30 pm 
Redshirt

JRK wrote:
More trivia from 2019 Sagarin ratings for the suspected teams mentioned in prior posts....

Big South
53.48, KSU
52.58, Monmouth
50.13, NCA&T
49.07, UCA
45.08, EKU
43.03, JSU
38.12, RMU
32.98, Campbell
31.11, UNA
25.99, Hampton
25.39, Gardner Webb

A-Sun
60.11, Liberty, FBS transition (?)
53.48, KSU
49.07, UCA
45.08, EKU
43.03, JSU
31.11, UNA
23.33, Stetson
Bellarmine, A-Sun no football
FGCU, A-Sun no football
Jacksonville U, A-Sun no football (?)
Lipscomb, A-Sun no football
North Florida, A-Sun no football

Others mentioned.....
45.74, McNeese
52.25, Southeastern
42.82, Chattanooga
West Florida...D2

Just to make sure there are no misconceptions, Stetson does not play scholarship football. They play in the Pioneer League and from what I hear, have no intention on starting scholarship ball.

UNF though, is constantly considering adding football.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:45 pm 
All-Conference

I believe that if McNeese , SELA , Nicholls , N.W. ST leave the Southland. Then the conference would drop football. That only IMO. I'd love to see these four schools become a full member of the ASUN. It looks like I will be seeing different parts of the country next fall if good Lord willing. I've been everywhere man :lol: . I do come from a Military background, family, and have had lots of travel in this life. I want to see all football teams in this great state do well. Except when they play the Bears. This 2020 season has been something else. I hope we don't have to endure this again. I'm looking forward to the move to the ASUN conference. I hope the Louisiana schools come with us. If not then I will miss them dearly. Go Bears Go