It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Atlantic Sun-Where would we fall?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:27 am 
All-Conference

To continue good posts on this website, I thought of a question. If we were to move to the Atlantic Sun, where would we fall as far as immediate competiveness for Football? I understand this would actually be Big South currently, but stick with me. I would think we would be immediately in the Top 3. Probably similar to something like the Southland. I would think we may even have a better chance of constantly staying at the top. I know Eastern Kentucky will also come in and probably be right there with UCA.

In the Southland:

Nicholls and McNeese would probably be labeled the best in the past 10 years. Sam Houston would probably be one of the biggest rivals as far as competiveness in recent years. SFA has fallen off the map for now, but their football facilities seem to be top notch and success will return soon.

Post subject: Re: Atlantic Sun-Where would we fall?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:28 pm 
All-Conference

Mulerider,
I think UCA athletics would fall in the top 3. I hope some Southland schools come with us. If they do then I would say we fall in the top 5. The Louisiana schools are tough. EKU, Jacksonville ST., UNA, McNeese, Southeastern, Nicholls, and N.W. ST. would be tough competition. Also the Big South schools would be tough. It will be interesting football season. Go Bears

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:51 pm 
Redshirt

I think UCA would fair well...

I'm taking my UNA love out because we are still in building mode during the transition.

As far as Big South football conference would go, it will be a stiff competition for the top when this happens,

KSU will reload and its tough to defend that option

EKU is traditionally tough

JSU will be JSU

Monmouth has built a great program

NCA&T is probably the best HBCU football school in the country.

Gardner Webb has been down, but have a new young coach that seems like he is doing well.

Charleston Southern is on the right track.

Campbell is getting pretty good as well.

Then you got RMU, dont know much about them

Hampton is well, okay at best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:52 pm 
Redshirt

Honestly, I can see potential 3-4 playoff spots coming from this league.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:46 pm 
All-Conference

I got to talk with someone at UCA. If the ASUN has enough football teams, then they will have a football conference. If not we will be headed to the Big South. Not sure what the SOCON wants to do. I think we will know something this week. That's all I could find out. Go Bears

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:02 pm 
Redshirt

Papabear wrote:
I got to talk with someone at UCA. If the ASUN has enough football teams, then they will have a football conference. If not we will be headed to the Big South. Not sure what the SOCON wants to do. I think we will know something this week. That's all I could find out. Go Bears

That's what I hear.

I do know the ASUN wants to eventually build and have 2 divisions for all sports...

They have, however said they would do nothing to put another conference in jeopardy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:31 pm 
All-Conference

So does that mean SOCON for all sports, or just football, with all other sports in ASUN?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:22 am 
All-Conference

I do believe it will be all sports and the ASUN wants 2 divisions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:04 pm 
All-Conference

Was in hopes we would hear something this week.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:46 am 
Redshirt

Update

Originally was going to be announced this week, has been pushed back. Will announce "This month" is all we can get out of them at this time.

Nothing has changed as far as the 3 schools.

I wonder if its pushed back because someone important has been put in quarantine?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:21 am 
All-Conference

Lion1983 wrote:
Update

Originally was going to be announced this week, has been pushed back. Will announce "This month" is all we can get out of them at this time.

Nothing has changed as far as the 3 schools.

I wonder if its pushed back because someone important has been put in quarantine?

With everything that is going on in the world, certainly anything is possible.

Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:28 pm 
Redshirt

I had an e-mail exchange with the Southland Conference who wouldn't confirm or deny any of the changes and/or when these changes would be effective. They did affirm that the schools currently in the conference would play a Fall 2021 football schedule. So any football changes would be effective 2022. Additionally, I learned each school that departs has to pay a $250K exit fee. Apparently, the WAC will announce 1/15 about the (4) TX SLC schools joining, so we'll know for sure then if the changes will take place (for football) Fall 2021 or 2022. Hope they accounted for the additional travel expenses. The new WAC will include teams from New Mexico, Utah, possibly even Idaho and California. That's a long way from East and SE TX.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:41 pm 
Two-Time All-American

NTX Panther wrote:
I had an e-mail exchange with the Southland Conference who wouldn't confirm or deny any of the changes and/or when these changes would be effective. They did affirm that the schools currently in the conference would play a Fall 2021 football schedule. So any football changes would be effective 2022. Additionally, I learned each school that departs has to pay a $250K exit fee. Apparently, the WAC will announce 1/15 about the (4) TX SLC schools joining, so we'll know for sure then if the changes will take place (for football) Fall 2021 or 2022. Hope they accounted for the additional travel expenses. The new WAC will include teams from New Mexico, Utah, possibly even Idaho and California. That's a long way from East and SE TX.

UCA is not playing this spring so they are free to go

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:33 am 
All-Conference

NTX Panther wrote:

At this point it seems the Southland Conference knows they are in trouble. I think they know their time is coming to a close with some of the current members. Hate that UCA is not going ahead and leaving if this is all true and waiting another year. I think if the Southland Conference wants to stick around it will probably have to get some of the Lone Star Conference and Great American Conference out of Division 2.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:29 pm 
Redshirt

Everything I've heard is that all 3 will be in the ASUN this coming fall...