It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Atlantic Sun-Where would we fall?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:16 am 
UserName Retired

Idabearspappy wrote:
JRK you're dead on. Fund raising (for any dept.) at UCA has been woefully lacking since I began taking an interest in the school when my son played footballthere several years ago. Something that has puzzled me for all these years is how in the world is UCA not a major recipient of funds from Johnelle Hunt ? Isn't she a UCA grad? I live in Fayetteville and it's embarrassing to see the level of giving to the U of A that JB Hunt has provided. Is there a reason that UCA gets so little from an incredibly successful alum?

This is an excellent question. One would think that they have reached out, but maybe thats it. Maybe the university hasn't reached out? It probably has more to do with perception. Their headquarters are in NW AR and they probably get a lot of interns and employees from the U of A. I'm not sure what it is going to take to get more funds from our wealthy alumni, but something needs to happen!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:24 pm 
Two-Time All-American

It’s just another example of UCA alum who have turned
their back on the school. It’s a sad world we live in and
it’s only going to get worse.

BPSG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:43 pm 
All-Conference

Idabearspappy wrote:
JRK you're dead on. Fund raising (for any dept.) at UCA has been woefully lacking since I began taking an interest in the school when my son played footballthere several years ago. Something that has puzzled me for all these years is how in the world is UCA not a major recipient of funds from Johnelle Hunt ? Isn't she a UCA grad? I live in Fayetteville and it's embarrassing to see the level of giving to the U of A that JB Hunt has provided. Is there a reason that UCA gets so little from an incredibly successful alum?

I will try to answer this for you....

UCA approached her back during the Lu Hardin era and she basically had no interest in being apart of things. The school attempted to get her to be a co-chairperson for the capital campaign and she would have none of it. As I recall she did not graduate from UCA but did attend here for a short period of time. She is from Heber Springs.

I attended a Purple Circle/Alumni Association event at the Hunt family condo during this time...she was very nice and pleasant, but had no interest in being involved. In fact, J.B. seemed more interested in what was going on at UCA and in Conway than she did.

It is just very sad....we have alums all over this state and they will give the shirt off of their backs for that Fayetteville school before they will even look at UCA. Heck, we have alums right here in Conway that gives to Fayetteville and they have never been on their campus.

Hope this answers your questions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:44 pm 
Team Captain

As someone who grew up in Heber Springs, I went my whole life not knowing the Hunts were born/raised in Heber. You won’t find any buildings with their name on it there either. Suppose they could always give anonymously though.

Admittedly I am excited about the possibilities ahead, just the fact that our administration is being proactive vs sitting back and stagnating in the leftover southland. Does FBS feel like a stretch? Sure... but I’d rather be associated with Jacksonville State, Eastern Kentucky, Kennesaw State, & James Maddison than Nichols, Houston Baptist, & Incarnate Word.

I also think the university needs to be more aggressive in fundraising. They’ve done some amazing things with Day of Giving & the Capital Campaign, but to be frank other than a holiday card or email newsletter it’s pretty rare I hear from them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:59 pm 
All-Conference

1868Alumni wrote:
As someone who grew up in Heber Springs, I went my whole life not knowing the Hunts were born/raised in Heber. You won’t find any buildings with their name on it there either. Suppose they could always give anonymously though.

Admittedly I am excited about the possibilities ahead, just the fact that our administration is being proactive vs sitting back and stagnating in the leftover southland. Does FBS feel like a stretch? Sure... but I’d rather be associated with Jacksonville State, Eastern Kentucky, Kennesaw State, & James Maddison than Nichols, Houston Baptist, & Incarnate Word.

I also think the university needs to be more aggressive in fundraising. They’ve done some amazing things with Day of Giving & the Capital Campaign, but to be frank other than a holiday card or email newsletter it’s pretty rare I hear from them.

I do think the FBS thing is a stretch, but who knows.

You are so right, UCA needs to be even more aggressive in fundraising, but it seems like they have a difficult time holding on to good people that know something about fundraising. Seems like I see new faces popping up in that area alot.

In my wildest dreams, I would never have thought they could do what they do on Day of Giving and the Capital Campaign. They have done well....just need more of it.

Your right, other than an a holiday card, I don't hear from them. I can't tell you the last time I actually talked to someone in that office.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:51 pm 
All-Conference

Beau wrote:
Idabearspappy wrote:

I will try to answer this for you....

UCA approached her back during the Lu Hardin era and she basically had no interest in being apart of things. The school attempted to get her to be a co-chairperson for the capital campaign and she would have none of it. As I recall she did not graduate from UCA but did attend here for a short period of time. She is from Heber Springs.

I attended a Purple Circle/Alumni Association event at the Hunt family condo during this time...she was very nice and pleasant, but had no interest in being involved. In fact, J.B. seemed more interested in what was going on at UCA and in Conway than she did.

It is just very sad....we have alums all over this state and they will give the shirt off of their backs for that Fayetteville school before they will even look at UCA. Heck, we have alums right here in Conway that gives to Fayetteville and they have never been on their campus.

Hope this answers your questions.

NAILED IT !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:27 am 
Redshirt

Beau wrote:
1868Alumni wrote:

I do think the FBS thing is a stretch, but who knows.

On the surface, I 100% agree. The FBS thing, for the ASUN is a stretch. And honestly, may not happen.

There is so much that suggests that its smoke blowing season, except one thing, we dont have a clue what is going on in NCAA meetings....

Seems like FBS rules and bylaws may be changing or something. I dont know... just me speculating.

Currently, the ASUN can not move as a conference to FBS. Unless there is a loophole I haven't heard about. So a rule and bylaw would have to change.

The WAC is exempt. They never sold or give up their FBS rights. So, whenever they feel froggy, their in.

Kinda makes me wonder if their may be an umbrella clause, and the ASUN and WAC are working together on this??? Maybe? I'm just spitballing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:42 am 
UserName Retired

Looks like EKU and JSU confirmed. Although, it has been pulled from the EKU site for the time being!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:18 pm 
UserName Retired

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/eku-to-leave-the-ovc-for-the-atlantic-sun-conference/

The full list of the new 12-member Atlantic Sun coming this July, which includes Bellarmine in Louisville:

Bellarmine University
University of Central Arkansas
Eastern Kentucky University
Florida Gulf Coast University
Jacksonville University
Jacksonville State University
Kennesaw State University
Liberty University
Lipscomb University
University of North Alabama
University of North Florida
Stetson University

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:03 pm 
All-Conference

I sure hope the athletic dept. finds a way to bus less and fly more. Those are some darned long trips for a student athlete. Especially a football player who is playing hurt, or is just plain beat up mid way through the season. Hard to rest and recuperate on an exhausting bus ride. So much so that I think it could have a serious effect on W/L record.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:12 pm 
All-Conference

Idabearspappy wrote:
I sure hope the athletic dept. finds a way to bus less and fly more. Those are some darned long trips for a student athlete. Especially a football player who is playing hurt, or is just plain beat up mid way through the season. Hard to rest and recuperate on an exhausting bus ride. So much so that I think it could have a serious effect on W/L record.

All it takes is money.......

I think flying will be an option on a few of those trips, but I would say the vast majority will be bus. Just an opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:52 pm 
UserName Retired

Money is always an issue everywhere....can never have too much.......as a school and as an athletic program........

First, I am pretty sure that Mrs Hunt went to UCA one year or less, married JB and the rest is history.........I do not expect some one to donate to an institution they are not closely connected to...

Second, UCA was a teacher's college for most of its first 100 years and teacher's are not known for accumulating great wealth....however, many teacher alums have been very generous.....we now have many grads who are doctors, business owners and corporate executives that are in or near their peak giving years....

Third, the UCA Foundation has come a very long way in the past 20 years....when my child was a student I recall seeing a publication that showed the Foundation as having low millions in assets......now the Foundation has about $85 million of assets.....we had not even had a single capital campaign until 2008 (the Centennial Campaign) which raised about $35 million during the Great Recession...the annual day of giving is an idea that came out of that campaign and has done very well.......

Fourth, it takes a LONG time to develop major givers and lots of work by the development officers......the Windgate Foundation major gift of about $20 million is an example of a decade of effort............

Fifth, we generally receive donations for capital improvements, scholarships and faculty/student research and similar grants....these monies are usually spent fairly quickly rather than building over time like endowments...I am sure the Foundation always likes endowment giving but that is a longer term proposition...

I look forward to the day we have $100M but then we have to celebrate and start out for $200M...lots of work ahead....

It is frustrating that so many UCA alums donate elsewhere but that is the environment and I think a common observation at most any school.....just have to keep working on it.....not too many schools have had a T Boone (Ok State) or a Phil Knight (Oregon).....may we all find one...

Note that A-State's Foundation reported $108M in assets as of 6/30/2019 of which about $20M is held for A-State related entities, including some construction funds for the university itself.....

Meanwhile, lets fill Estes 6 times each fall.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:33 pm 
All-Conference

i don’t think the travel is that much worse than going to south TX and south LA. the trips to thibadeuax and hammond were 8+ hours on two lane highways. Houston is every bit of 7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:10 pm 
UserName Retired

Mr Google's map shows ave miles from Conway to SLC cities is about 450 with high of 600-650 to Corpus and San Antonio...

Ave miles to the 11 ASun cities is 700 with trips to Jacksonville, FL-Tampa-DeLand, FL-Lynchburg, VA between 860-1120....that is a lot more miles......I worry about baseball, softball, b-ball, volleyball, soccer and tennis that will have many long trips.....golf, XC and track and field do not play "conference schedules" and can avoid much of the travel miles increase....

Who would have thought the shortest conference trip would be to Florence, AL?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:59 pm 
Redshirt

ASUN will be set up in divisions for everything but football....to cut travel as much as possible.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next