It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Atlantic Sun-Where would we fall?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:08 am 
All-Conference

JRK wrote:
Money is always an issue everywhere....can never have too much.......as a school and as an athletic program........

First, I am pretty sure that Mrs Hunt went to UCA one year or less, married JB and the rest is history.........I do not expect some one to donate to an institution they are not closely connected to...

Second, UCA was a teacher's college for most of its first 100 years and teacher's are not known for accumulating great wealth....however, many teacher alums have been very generous.....we now have many grads who are doctors, business owners and corporate executives that are in or near their peak giving years....

Third, the UCA Foundation has come a very long way in the past 20 years....when my child was a student I recall seeing a publication that showed the Foundation as having low millions in assets......now the Foundation has about $85 million of assets.....we had not even had a single capital campaign until 2008 (the Centennial Campaign) which raised about $35 million during the Great Recession...the annual day of giving is an idea that came out of that campaign and has done very well.......

Fourth, it takes a LONG time to develop major givers and lots of work by the development officers......the Windgate Foundation major gift of about $20 million is an example of a decade of effort............

Fifth, we generally receive donations for capital improvements, scholarships and faculty/student research and similar grants....these monies are usually spent fairly quickly rather than building over time like endowments...I am sure the Foundation always likes endowment giving but that is a longer term proposition...

I look forward to the day we have $100M but then we have to celebrate and start out for $200M...lots of work ahead....

It is frustrating that so many UCA alums donate elsewhere but that is the environment and I think a common observation at most any school.....just have to keep working on it.....not too many schools have had a T Boone (Ok State) or a Phil Knight (Oregon).....may we all find one...

Note that A-State's Foundation reported $108M in assets as of 6/30/2019 of which about $20M is held for A-State related entities, including some construction funds for the university itself.....

Meanwhile, lets fill Estes 6 times each fall.....

Excellent post with a lot of good information.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:10 am 
All-Conference

JRK wrote:
Mr Google's map shows ave miles from Conway to SLC cities is about 450 with high of 600-650 to Corpus and San Antonio...

Ave miles to the 11 ASun cities is 700 with trips to Jacksonville, FL-Tampa-DeLand, FL-Lynchburg, VA between 860-1120....that is a lot more miles......I worry about baseball, softball, b-ball, volleyball, soccer and tennis that will have many long trips.....golf, XC and track and field do not play "conference schedules" and can avoid much of the travel miles increase....

Who would have thought the shortest conference trip would be to Florence, AL?

As I recall, I think the travel time to North Alabama is about five hours.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:11 am 
All-Conference

Lion1983 wrote:
ASUN will be set up in divisions for everything but football....to cut travel as much as possible.

That certainly will help the situation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:20 am 
Redshirt

Beau wrote:
JRK wrote:
Mr Google's map shows ave miles from Conway to SLC cities is about 450 with high of 600-650 to Corpus and San Antonio...

Ave miles to the 11 ASun cities is 700 with trips to Jacksonville, FL-Tampa-DeLand, FL-Lynchburg, VA between 860-1120....that is a lot more miles......I worry about baseball, softball, b-ball, volleyball, soccer and tennis that will have many long trips.....golf, XC and track and field do not play "conference schedules" and can avoid much of the travel miles increase....

Who would have thought the shortest conference trip would be to Florence, AL?

As I recall, I think the travel time to North Alabama is about five hours.

I haven't checked, but Florence and Nashville(Lipscomb) should be your shortest trips.

The division play, I imagine the divisions will be set up were travelling to Florida will be very limited, but from a recruiting standpoint, you want to sell them on being able to travel to Florida....

UNA uses that as a tool... and it has payed off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:46 pm 
UserName Retired

JRK wrote:
Money is always an issue everywhere....can never have too much.......as a school and as an athletic program........

Second, UCA was a teacher's college for most of its first 100 years and teacher's are not known for accumulating great wealth....however, many teacher alums have been very generous.....we now have many grads who are doctors, business owners and corporate executives that are in or near their peak giving years....

Interesting fact:
https://www.rd.com/list/careers-millionaire/

Quote:
Teacher
Average high school teacher salary: $60,320

Average middle school teacher salary: $58,600

Average kindergarten and elementary teacher salary: $58,230

Depending on your state, most teaching positions require a bachelor’s degree, though some require a master’s degree. Teachers were the third most common profession among our everyday millionaires surveyed,” says Hogan. “That blew me away. This is a profession that I know is undervalued, [often] underpaid. So how did these teachers reach millionaire status when they retired? This shows that reaching millionaire status has nothing to do about your job, your income, or even where you went to school. It’s about having a plan for your money.”

I'd always thought teachers were underpaid etc...but it appears many of them KNOW how to save what little they get! Of course they do! They're TEACHERS!
(married to a teacher here.... ) :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:07 pm 
All-Conference

BearCountry wrote:
JRK wrote:

Interesting fact:
https://www.rd.com/list/careers-millionaire/

Quote:
Teacher
Average high school teacher salary: $60,320

Average middle school teacher salary: $58,600

Average kindergarten and elementary teacher salary: $58,230

Depending on your state, most teaching positions require a bachelor’s degree, though some require a master’s degree. Teachers were the third most common profession among our everyday millionaires surveyed,” says Hogan. “That blew me away. This is a profession that I know is undervalued, [often] underpaid. So how did these teachers reach millionaire status when they retired? This shows that reaching millionaire status has nothing to do about your job, your income, or even where you went to school. It’s about having a plan for your money.”

I'd always thought teachers were underpaid etc...but it appears many of them KNOW how to save what little they get! Of course they do! They're TEACHERS!
(married to a teacher here.... ) :)

Would love to get summer vacation off like they do.... But yes teachers are under appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:37 pm 
All-Conference

I am a retired building custodian and worked at Ida Burns elementary school. I know that teachers do attend seminars during the summer. Some teach summer school and kindergarten camps. Summer time off is not a vacation, but a time of recuperation. I seen teachers back in school 2 weeks before school starts to set up their classrooms. My sweet wife is a retired RN of 42 years experience. Mamabear has taught nursing school. My daughter is a RN with about 12 or more years experience. She is currently teaching CNA school. If any teachers are reading this post my hat goes off to you all. Thank you for what you do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:07 pm 
All-Conference

Yes all in my family were teachers-Mom, Dad, Bro and Sis. All have degrees from UCA. Their kids (my nieces and nephews) do also, and then there is me. I`m the youngest and heard literally thousands of "teaching" stories growing up. No way was I getting into that profession. I ended up taking the technical school path.
They are all undervalued and generally underpaid. Admins are generally on a 12 month contract whereas classroom teachers are of course 9 with an option to take their pay on either a 9 month or 12 month contract basis.
Saying that, they all have great retirement plans--I do not.
I am also the only one in the family that gives back to UCA??? Sound familiar? I`ve tried and tried but realized I cant do anything about it. They have all been SUCKED into razorback nation.

By the way. Covid-19 got my job. Any of you guys know anyone hiring??
So now its no job AND no good retirement plan. Maybe I Should have become a teacher after all. LOL!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:08 pm 
UserName Retired

I have several teachers in my family so I have a good idea what they really go through vs what people may think. My mother-in-law who taught almost 50 years used to say you got decent pay, great retirement and, the real payoff, was the cards received decades later from your former students who wrote just to say thank you.

Notice my initial post referred to "great wealth".....many teachers learn to be very thrifty and great savers when they can. That can add up over a long career. They may have all read "The Millionaire Next Door"!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:23 pm 
All-Conference

My mom had a plaque on the wall that said;
3 Reasons for becoming a teacher---June, July, and August.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6