It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: February 3 National signing day
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:21 pm 
2nd Team

Mulerider wrote:
Seminole Indian wrote:
Ethan Hassler was a scholarship player-and pretty highly touted one at that, Alston Elam and Andrew Agapos were PWO's for A-State.

Memphis made some head way in Arkansas grabbing Errington McRae and Marion Crockett-both former A-State commits.

Little FYI, the player Butch Jones seems to be most excited about is the one they flipped from you, Seydou Traore. Been calling everyone and saying he is the bests TE prospect he has seen. They, Florida State , Iowa State, Memphis and some others all jumped on him late.

Butch Jones says the infatuation with the transfer portal is leaving a lot of very good HS players available, and after they reached their number, they extended a lot of PWO offers to players he said were good enough for a division 1 scholarship offer.

I think there is also a ton of talent that if they don't get a D1 offer then they just choose not to play college ball. I hope people are seeing D2 football is still great, just sometimes takes a little more effort if you want to get to the NFL.

What I've been told by some pretty successful coaches is any year Nationally there are usually only 30 or so players everyone agrees are can't miss players and they normally go to the same 15 or so schools every year. They are your 5-Star types.

Then 250-350 players that are far enough along in their development that most think are likely to contribute, and they go to those same few school and a few more just below them. They are your 4-Star types, and very few sign with schools outside of the top 40-50.

Then 2500-3000 that basically come down to an educated guess on the part of coaches. They are your 3-Star and 2-Star types.

Those 2500-3000 players make up the rosters of the majority of FBS and all FCS teams. How good they are comes down to your coaches ability to evaluate, develop and coach them.

That is why a good FCS school can beat most FBS teams. There is just not a lot of difference in talent . Normally depth does the FCS team in, not talent.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:49 am 
2nd Team

As far as Division 11 and Davison III, can't speak for UCA or UAPB but normally A-State's PWO's have multiple offers from schools at that level and they are good players-my great nephew is a PWO for them, and he is a stud football player. A few might have an FCS offer, but not many.

They expect many and maybe most will contribute in some way, and a few will earn a scholarship. Last year Jennings Stanley, Wyatt Luebke, and T.W. Ayers earned starts, and many more contributed.

Again everyone has talent.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:41 pm 
All-Conference

JRK wrote:
Below is list of signees this week out of Memphis area...Austin Peay and A-State got 3....some obvious schools missing.......

2/3/21 - Wednesday’s signing day list- Memphis area signees
*Andrew Agapos, LB, ECS (Arkansas State)
*Cameron Blaylock, OL, White Station (University of Memphis)
Dallas Brown, DE/LB, Lausanne (Davidson)
Eddie Buxton, WR, Lausanne (Austin Peay)
Ashton Carson, RB, Kingsbury (Missouri Valley College)
Reed Chipman, OL, Covington (Bethel)
Cole Cocroft, DL, Germantown (Henderson State)
Ethan Dabbs, LB, Lausanne (Central Missouri)
Calvin Dockery, WR, Center Hill (Itawamba CC)
Christian Dowell, DL, CBHS (Tennessee-Martin)
*Alston Elam, DB, Collierville (Arkansas State)
*Reid Flanagan, WR, Hernando (University of Memphis)
DaVinci Floyd, OL, Collierville (Coffeyville CC)
Khamron Ford, LB, Olive Branch (Northwest Mississippi CC)
Robert Giaimo, RB, Bartlett (Lindenwood)
Carson Goold, WR, Houston (Samford)
Jamal Graham, OL Whitehaven (Tuskegee)
*Jack Greer, TE, Houston (Ole Miss)
Kendall Guess, RB, Harding (Bethel)
Daniel Gwin, LB, White Station (Millikin)
Jacob Hamer, OL, Lausanne (Bethel)
Ethan Hassler, DE/OLB, Collierville (Arkansas State)
Jacob Hatcher, QB, ECS (Pikeville)
Traveon Hawkins, ATH, Munford (Campbellsville)
Jordan Helton, DB, MUS (Tennessee State)
*Hunter Higdon, FB, CBHS (University of Memphis)
Darryen Hobbs, LB, Center Hill (Itawamba CC)
Landon Howard, OL, Olive Branch (Holmes CC)
Jamar Hudson, DE, Kingsbury (Fort Scott CC)
Jalen Hurt, WR, Tipton-Rosemark (Livingston College)
A.J. Johnson, DB, Olive Branch (Copiah-Lincoln CC)
Thomas Jones, DB, Bartlett (Bethel)
Roderic Lewis, DB, MUS (Navy)
Malik McDaniel, OL, Bartlett (Davidson)
Orlando Moore, DB, Bartlett (Peru State)
Josh Pack, LB/TE, Lewisburg (Itawamba CC)
Jaylen Powell, ATH, St. Benedict (Northwest Mississippi JC)
*Tre’ Phillips, WR/DB, Olive Branch (Mississippi State)
Darren Robinson, DL, MUS (Central Arkansas)
Hunter Rodgers, DL, Collierville (Lyon College)
Kevin Ruiz, K, Lake Cormorant (Northwest Mississippi CC)
Rico Smith, Bartlett, DB, (Bethel)
Hadem Sow, QB, Mitchell (Fort Scott CC)
Blake Speed, RB, Lewisburg (Miles College)
Scott St. Aubin, OL, Lewisburg (East Mississippi CC)
Jack Stephens, DB, ECS (Ouachita Baptist)
Eric Stevenson, WR, Whitehaven (Westminster College)
Damon Swing, OL, MAHS (North Alabama)
T.J. Tate, DB, Germantown (Pittbsurg State)
*Noah Upchurch, OL, Collierville (University of Memphis)
Shawn Wade, LB, Hernando (Copiah-Lincoln CC)
Jay Ware, WR, Hernando (Coahoma CC)
*Braunson White, LB, Whitehaven (University of Memphis)
Alexander Whitmore, DL, Whitehaven (Austin Peay)
Harrison Wilkes, OL, Houston (Austin Peay)
Jelani Willis, DB, Bartlett, (Western Michigan)
Tylyn Young, DB, MUS (Alcorn State)

* — indicates walk-on or preferred walk-on
After residing in Bartlett TN from 01`-18` and being the BHS Football booster club president for a bit I can tell you with total confidence and factual information that 90% of the players in west TN (specifically the Memphis area) barely give a look west of the MS river. Its almost as if the MS river is a damn wall. It was BEYOND frustrating for me. There are obvious exceptions, but the general consensus is there is not much available (wrongly) in AR. Most of this is due to a combination of former ties the area high school coaches have in the state of TN--BUT-- some of it is also ignorance. TN Tech, UT Martin, UT, Ole Miss, MS State, Vanderbilt, Cumberland and Carson Newman is where most of these players are steered to (depending on talent level). Luckily once they actually do get a chance to see what the D2 schools and the few D1`s in AR have to offer they will jump, but that is only if they take that chance to do the camps etc. that are offered. (I have heard a lot of good comments about Harding from the west TN parents once they camp there). I brought our HC at the time, its been a few years, to see the Cabot HS facilities, the Conway facilities and also the Bentonville facilities and he just about sh** his pants. He thought the AR schools were behind the TN schools in facilities but was proven totally wrong. The Memphis area suburbs High schools have also been way behind on facilities investment, etc. and since the local suburbs have finally gone to their own systems things are finally improving some for them. Bartlett is a prime example. I was proven right. The parents of a lot of these kids still think AR is full of hillbilly hicks. Unfortunately if west Memphis is as far as you ever get into the state that perception doesn`t have a big chance of changing.
(Shelby County TN-Memphis is considered a contiguous county to AR so out of state tuition is waved) or at least it was back then for most AR colleges/universities, but like I mentioned a lot of TN HS coaches don`t even consider AR to be a state. LOL
Just FYI CBHS (Memphis) found out this year at least one AR High School can play ball.

© 2021 The Daily Memphian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:05 pm 
UserName Retired

"That is why a good FCS school can beat most FBS teams. There is just not a lot of difference in talent . Normally depth does the FCS team in, not talent."

That is my observation over the years when playing non P5 FBS teams......and some of P5 also...

"The parents of a lot of these kids still think AR is full of hillbilly hicks. "

Guess they have not heard of Wal-Mart, Tyson Foods and JB Hunt Transport certainly not Stephens Inc and Murphy Oil and Arkansas Best and ABF Freight and Dillard's and.....then again some of those were founded by hillbillies and famers....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:16 am 
All-Conference

JRK wrote:
"That is why a good FCS school can beat most FBS teams. There is just not a lot of difference in talent . Normally depth does the FCS team in, not talent."

That is my observation over the years when playing non P5 FBS teams......and some of P5 also...

"The parents of a lot of these kids still think AR is full of hillbilly hicks. "

Guess they have not heard of Wal-Mart, Tyson Foods and JB Hunt Transport certainly not Stephens Inc and Murphy Oil and Arkansas Best and ABF Freight and Dillard's and.....then again some of those were founded by hillbillies and famers....

You are exactly right JRK. I didn`t mean to sound negative on my post if I did, but dang it was so frustrating having to listen to all those false statements over the years about AR and AR high schools, football, etc. A lot of Memphians have never traveled past Little Rock.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:42 am 
All-Conference

I'm sorry to weigh in on this,but I just can't leave this one alone. Arkansas is not alone in this,but when you try to say we're not full of redneck hillbillies I think you're delusional. Racism and social ignorance in this state is rampant. Ever been to Harrison Arkansas? The very northwest corner of the state is much,much less racist for the very fact that almost all of those fortune 500 companies that JRK mentioned are headquartered there. Years ago when I lived in Dallas the first thing you asked a person when you met them was "where are you from?'. Business had turned the metroplex into a melting pot of people from all walks of life. Same is now true for NWA. I have black family members. I have seen the very real fear that they have when we travel through the less enlightened (sorry for the term,couldn't think of another polite way to put it) areas of Arkansas. I suspect that this state has more redneck militia groups and hate fostering organizations per capita than most ,if not all,other states. I have always been,and will remain, optomistic that people will eventually evolve to a higher level of human compassion but, for now, it's just not evident in most areas of the state.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:07 am 
All-Conference

Idabearspappy wrote:
I'm sorry to weigh in on this,but I just can't leave this one alone. Arkansas is not alone in this,but when you try to say we're not full of redneck hillbillies I think you're delusional. Racism and social ignorance in this state is rampant. Ever been to Harrison Arkansas? The very northwest corner of the state is much,much less racist for the very fact that almost all of those fortune 500 companies that JRK mentioned are headquartered there. Years ago when I lived in Dallas the first thing you asked a person when you met them was "where are you from?'. Business had turned the metroplex into a melting pot of people from all walks of life. Same is now true for NWA. I have black family members. I have seen the very real fear that they have when we travel through the less enlightened (sorry for the term,couldn't think of another polite way to put it) areas of Arkansas. I suspect that this state has more redneck militia groups and hate fostering organizations per capita than most ,if not all,other states. I have always been,and will remain, optomistic that people will eventually evolve to a higher level of human compassion but, for now, it's just not evident in most areas of the state.

I think their is racism and ignorance in all races and both sides politically. The problem now is people think they are owed something or get offended about every little thing. I think every place in America can be dangerous to a point. For those who say they fear their life going through Arkansas, what about LA? New York City? Chicago? Detroit? No where near as bad as Arkansas. Hate is in the minority just like many places.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:13 am 
All-Conference

No doubt you're right about racism being everywhere Mulerider. Just making the point that we as a state are still woefully lacking in our tolerance of people who are different from us. We are not,overall,anywhere close to where we should be as a people in 2021. In fact,I would submit to you that open hate and racism has made a very strong comeback in the last several years. It's disappointing and,hopefully,that tide will turn soon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:17 pm 
Team Captain

Idabearspappy wrote:
No doubt you're right about racism being everywhere Mulerider. Just making the point that we as a state are still woefully lacking in our tolerance of people who are different from us. We are not,overall,anywhere close to where we should be as a people in 2021. In fact,I would submit to you that open hate and racism has made a very strong comeback in the last several years. It's disappointing and,hopefully,that tide will turn soon.

It is pretty astonishing sometimes the bills that are still being introduced in the Arkansas political environment in 2021. I feel like some Arkansans refuse to enter the 21st century.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:30 pm 
All-Conference

I agree with both of you guys. Harrison AR? Marshall AR? yep its rampant there, and what a stain they are to the state. I guess you guys heard about what happened with the Marshall police chief, anyways, yes we have a LONG way to go as a state. It is bad in other states also, especially MS, it has to be the worst. Thank goodness we do have many great places (cities) in AR, like Conway, that are moving forward and trying to do the right thing.
GO BEARS !!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:31 pm 
All-Conference

gobears14 wrote:
Idabearspappy wrote:

It is pretty astonishing sometimes the bills that are still being introduced in the Arkansas political environment in 2021. I feel like some Arkansans refuse to enter the 21st century.

You are exactly right. I`ve been keeping up with the latest. What a freakin joke!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:46 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Which bills are you referring to?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:53 am 
All-Conference

FOOT84 wrote:
Which bills are you referring to?

I was wondering the same thing?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:02 pm 
All-Conference

Like coach Nick Saban said " we need to get along." Arkansas is a small state but not full of backwards hillbillies and rednecks. Hillbillies and rednecks are all through the southern United States and racism is on all sides. When my fellow students was going to college I was in Asia serving my country. My book was an M16 A1 riffle. We as Americans need to repent of our evil ways and turn to Jesus. I am not preaching just stating the facts. I hope our football season can return to normal. I miss all of my Bear family. I miss seeing my Bears on the stripes. I hope Lion1983 is doing ok. He is still in my thoughts and prayers. Go Bears Go, Papa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:22 pm 
All-Conference

Idabearspappy wrote:

as someone from north central arkansas, i simply just disagree with everything you just said. i bet the leslie united methodist church wouldn’t agree either

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next