It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: opinion please
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:30 am 
Two-Time All-American

UCA played a fall schedule in football...
Sam Houston played a spring schedule...

The UCA program received a good portion of national attention.
Sam Houston won the FCS national championship.

What's your take ?????

Post subject: Re: opinion please
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:53 am 
UserName Retired

Both statements true. :lol:

UCA is getting ready to begin fall ball with a full season under their belt AND time to heal and play their best in the fall. Plus all that natty attention from being at the forefront of football during covid. More people know about us now. That's a big part of recruiting.

Sam had a heck of a year against part of the FCS but won 3 big games against the usual BIG 3 teams in JMU, NDSU, and SDSU. That will help them in recruiting for the WAC.

But overall I think both teams got something out of a bad situation.

I'm more worried about the attention our school gives to advertising our home games, the tailgating atmosphere, and entertainment and hype for those things...

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:16 pm 
All-Conference

BearCountry wrote:

UCA is getting ready to begin fall ball with a full season under their belt AND time to heal and play their best in the fall. Plus all that natty attention from being at the forefront of football during covid. More people know about us now. That's a big part of recruiting.

Sam had a heck of a year against part of the FCS but won 3 big games against the usual BIG 3 teams in JMU, NDSU, and SDSU. That will help them in recruiting for the WAC.

I'm more worried about the attention our school gives to advertising our home games, the tailgating atmosphere, and entertainment and hype for those things...

+1

Also, UCA had it's chance against NDSU last year and didn't pull it out. That's on UCA. No matter what the situation is. While our atmosphere is getting better at UCA and the community seems to do an ok job, there is always room to get better. I think you are seeing a ton of alumni stick around the Central Arkansas area and this will help the athletic department in the future. Better discounts need to be offer for alumni though for sporting events. Also, the tailgate fees are crazy for the level UCA at.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:14 pm 
UserName Retired

Mulerider wrote:
BearCountry wrote:

+1

Also, UCA had it's chance against NDSU last year and didn't pull it out. That's on UCA. No matter what the situation is. While our atmosphere is getting better at UCA and the community seems to do an ok job, there is always room to get better. I think you are seeing a ton of alumni stick around the Central Arkansas area and this will help the athletic department in the future. Better discounts need to be offer for alumni though for sporting events. Also, the tailgate fees are crazy for the level UCA at.

I guess what I don't get is when you have alumni or just fans volunteer to help make it better they are swatted away. Sure is easy to keep tailgating small. Helps keep the trouble down and a family environment I guess. But I've been to La. Tech tailgating and McNeese tailgating. We want that. Seriously.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:14 am 
All-Conference

I think its all about tone at the top and who is in charge.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 3:59 pm 
Starter

on a side note... to
Quote:
Also, UCA had it's chance against NDSU last year and didn't pull it out.

When we played NDSU - we played them with Trey Lance NFL Draft: 2021 / Round: 1 / Pick: 3 and gave him his 1st interception ever, if I remember right :)

He didn't play when Sam played them... just saying...

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:29 am 
Team Captain

bearfangrrr wrote:
on a side note... to
Quote:
Also, UCA had it's chance against NDSU last year and didn't pull it out.

When we played NDSU - we played them with Trey Lance NFL Draft: 2021 / Round: 1 / Pick: 3 and gave him his 1st interception ever, if I remember right :)

He didn't play when Sam played them... just saying...

+1 =D>

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:43 am 
Two-Time All-American

Mulerider wrote:
I think its all about tone at the top and who is in charge.

Not trying to single you out by the way...but it seems to me that a few of
the posters on this forum always point a finger at the athletic administration.

Not sure what "the tone at the top" means. Brad Teague and his staff in my
opinion have done a very good job with the VERY LIMITED BUDGET they have
to work with. Can't really blame him that the alumni base would rather support
the pigs than their own school. Maybe UCA should offer a new course study
entitled Critical Loyalty Theory.

Most all of the Bear athletic teams with the exception of Men's Basketball, have
maintained a pretty high level of performance over the years. In other words,
UCA gets a lot of bang for their buck with the limited resources available.

Not sure what is expected from the man in charge...maybe if you guys were
willing to be more specific with what you think would help, I could understand
better.

It all comes down to $$$$ and everyone knows that and to my knowledge
the fundraising has increased by a large margin over the past few years...
and the credit should go to Dr. Teague and his staff for their continued efforts
to reach out the alumni base and the community.

BPSG

UC

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:42 pm 
UserName Retired

I'm not mad we have a limited budget for athletics. Teague is doing his best with the money...but what about the "not money" things that can be done?

I'm disappointed that we've had the same administration this long and they have YET to come up with other ideas to make it work or get better. It's like they've quit trying. When fans come in with ideas and volunteer assistance they are ignored or nothing is done. THAT is what I dislike.

Seriously, make the game day experience better. Conway high fans can tailgate the same way hours before the games there! Let's look to McNeese tailgating, Louisiana tech tailgating etc....it works!

You've got local bands that would LOVE to play for free or cheap during tailgating.

How much does it cost to call in to a radio show and get on the air and tell about the sporting events?!

How about advertising ON CAMPUS on game day or the week of? It seems like if you don't have the bear app then you NEVER know! Want to increase attendance a little more? Tell the kids who live on campus to STAY on the weekends AND GIVE THEM SOMETHING to stay for! Host events like frisbee golf contests, football throwing contests on the stripes, kicking contests on the stripes, and on and on! Heck, even have a contest for the most artistic BEAR tribute...ceramics, paintings, songs, etc... get everyone involved! Get the departments on campus involved!

Have the players and cheerleaders walk the campus and dorms and spread the word!

Folks this stuff is FREE! and I see NONE of it.

Best of luck to them....

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:50 am 
All-Conference

BearCountry wrote:
I'm not mad we have a limited budget for athletics. Teague is doing his best with the money...but what about the "not money" things that can be done?

I'm disappointed that we've had the same administration this long and they have YET to come up with other ideas to make it work or get better. It's like they've quit trying. When fans come in with ideas and volunteer assistance they are ignored or nothing is done. THAT is what I dislike.

Seriously, make the game day experience better. Conway high fans can tailgate the same way hours before the games there! Let's look to McNeese tailgating, Louisiana tech tailgating etc....it works!

You've got local bands that would LOVE to play for free or cheap during tailgating.

How much does it cost to call in to a radio show and get on the air and tell about the sporting events?!

How about advertising ON CAMPUS on game day or the week of? It seems like if you don't have the bear app then you NEVER know! Want to increase attendance a little more? Tell the kids who live on campus to STAY on the weekends AND GIVE THEM SOMETHING to stay for! Host events like frisbee golf contests, football throwing contests on the stripes, kicking contests on the stripes, and on and on! Heck, even have a contest for the most artistic BEAR tribute...ceramics, paintings, songs, etc... get everyone involved! Get the departments on campus involved!

Have the players and cheerleaders walk the campus and dorms and spread the word!

Best of luck to them....

+1 This is what I was referring more to. They have people that work at UCA who's job is to do things like this.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:32 pm 
UserName Retired

Mulerider wrote:
+1 This is what I was referring more to. They have people that work at UCA who's job is to do things like this.

I almost didn't post this. I didn't want to do the work for them. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:49 pm 
All-Conference

[quote="Mulerider"][quote="BearCountry"]I'm not mad we have a limited budget for athletics. Teague is doing his best with the money...but what about the "not money" things that can be done?

Some dandy discussion over the last few days....I've been off....the plate is full and I have not been keeping up.

The question regarding the athletic administration....it starts at the top and that is with Brad Teague. I will say that under his leadership the department has seen success in most all of the sports with the exception of mens basketball and I hold him personally responsible for running the mens program into the ground. As I have mentioned on here before, he is using mens basketball for nothing other than money games to fund the lower sports. No one will call him on it and the rest of the overall administration apparently doesn't care. I just wish that someone at the school would stand up and make a commitment to making mens basketball competitive. IMHO, it is not happening.

Secondly, I have seen several people on the outside submit ideas for promotions for game days and the staff takes offense to the ideas. I will admit some of the ideas are a little out of left field, but other are suggestions from attending conference games at places like McNeese State, Stephen F. Austin, etc. .

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:17 am 
All-Conference

I can not accept SHSU`s victory as legitimate. I know the fellas played the game and all, but as a fan, NO, I can not accept it. We were/are better than Sam. We would beat them on a neutral field 7/10. I`d bet on it.
Go Bears!
As far as the later threads/posts here go.
I`ve thrown some great ideas to the athletic dept. Always get a strange response.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:26 am 
All-Conference

UCAFaninTN wrote:
I can not accept SHSU`s victory as legitimate. I know the fellas played the game and all, but as a fan, NO, I can not accept it. We were/are better than Sam. We would beat them on a neutral field 7/10. I`d bet on it.
Go Bears!
As far as the later threads/posts here go.
I`ve thrown some great ideas to the athletic dept. Always get a strange response.

I don't think the administration realizes that most UCA fans are going to be families compared to corporations like U of A.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:29 am 
UserName Retired

I'm glad this thread was titled "opinions please".

Quote:
Secondly, I have seen several people on the outside submit ideas for promotions for game days and the staff takes offense to the ideas.

Quote:

Quote:
When fans come in with ideas and volunteer assistance they are ignored or nothing is done. THAT is what I dislike.

This is just 3 quotes from people who care enough about this program to offer ideas or assistance and it was turned away. Sigh.

Patterns are made to be seen.