It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: opinion please
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:05 am 
All-Conference

Beau wrote:
Mulerider wrote:
Beau wrote:
Since Bruce Street is a city street I suspect the university had to do a deal with the city on how quickly they could open it back up on game day.

Something I would love to see but I don't know if it is feasible is have the university to petition the city to close Bruce Street from Donaghey Avenue to Farris Road. This would take care of the tailgating issue mentioned earlier and also could potentially make a mall type of atmosphere for the campus. Just a thought.

It's already closed each game day?

Sorry Mulerider.....I was not very clear. What I should have said is that I wish they would close Bruce Street from Donaghey to Farris Road, permanently.

Oh wow, not sure they could ever do that, unless another road is built. It would be pretty hard for baseball, basketball, and volleyball games. Not to mention access to the stadium. I think that would be the least of their worries.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:44 pm 
All-Conference

Farris Center parking can be accessed off of College Avenue into the parking lot to the north of the baseball stadium. There is a road down the east side of the baseball stadium that leads to the Farris Center lot which could handle parking for baseball, basketball and volleyball. That lot is also used for football as well. Additional parking around the stadium may be accessed at two entrances just to the southwest of Estes Stadium on Farris Road. Now, the BIG question....would this work ? I don't know. You have questions regarding access to the new academic buildings on Bruce Street near Donaghey Avenue and access for emergency vehicles. I know there are probably more questions, but I just think it is worth looking at.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:59 pm 
All-Conference

Beau wrote:
Farris Center parking can be accessed off of College Avenue into the parking lot to the north of the baseball stadium. There is a road down the east side of the baseball stadium that leads to the Farris Center lot which could handle parking for baseball, basketball and volleyball. That lot is also used for football as well. Additional parking around the stadium may be accessed at two entrances just to the southwest of Estes Stadium on Farris Road. Now, the BIG question....would this work ? I don't know. You have questions regarding access to the new academic buildings on Bruce Street near Donaghey Avenue and access for emergency vehicles. I know there are probably more questions, but I just think it is worth looking at.

Yeah the more I think about it, you really could just go up one light and make a left and go to your same places as you normally would. The question is, would the city want to allow it? What benefit does it really make to shut it down now? Is it really that bad to be able to drive through campus like that? I think you will have pros and cons on both sides. I guess my biggest thing now, is why make the change?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:19 pm 
All-Conference

Heck, I don't know if this is even workable....I would love to see it cussed and discussed and see if anything would come of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:00 am 
All-Conference

FOOT84 wrote:
Mulerider wrote:
huggy_bear wrote:
the lack of alcoholic sales doesn’t prevent creative solutions to get the atmosphere better. getting local bands, holding baggo tournaments, doing kid themed events each home game, etc. isn’t precluded because alcohol isn’t part of the culture.

+1.

Someone had mentioned the tailgating at La. Tech and Mcneese as being
better than at UCA...I was only providing info as to what they do.

Local bands would be good and having activities for young kids as well.
But one thing that drives me nutts is the damn bounce houses and the kid
zone in the south endzone...UCA is D1 for crying out loud and I don't think
that they should be BABY SITTING especially inside the stadium during the game.

I have never seen this anywhere, including high schools.

so, I’m late to responding to this. since there’s not a lot going on with uca sports, i was not really paying attention to this.

i really don’t understand the babysitting and bouncy house reference. i mentioned, as an example, family themed events. Dude, if you want to try to market this thing in any other fashion in Conway, Arkansas, good luck. I’m sorry you got embarrassed by the bouncy houses that may have been in sight from the stands 10 years ago, but that is hardly the problem with getting butts in the seats. And no, we are not southeast louisiana or mcneese st and not everyone in conway starts drinking at 8 am on game days. how about a central arkansas solution that fits with our morals and way of life? how about a beast feast? how about 57 other ideas that would be simple and cheap to do that aren’t hinged on whatever the hell the LA schools do?

the way to make this work is to make ourselves unique. we don’t need gimmicks, we don’t need looser alcohol restrictions, we need common sense

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:42 am 
Two-Time All-American

So I'm a dude now huh? Someone posted that Mcneese and La. Tech had a better
tailgating atmosphere than UCA. I was merely providing info as to what they do.

And if you have your head buried so deep in the sand that you cannot see how
many people stay out on Bruce Street during the game, you need to open your
eyes. They are not doing it for the view, but for other reasons. I will let everyone
make up their own mind as to why.

Everybody has their own ideas as to what makes a good tailgate party...
Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:21 pm 
UserName Retired

FOOT84 wrote:

eyes. They are not doing it for the view, but for other reasons. I will let everyone

I wish we could also do something gimmicky like a striped field..... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:15 am 
Two-Time All-American

BearCountry wrote:
FOOT84 wrote:

I admit I didn't like it at first...but it grew on me... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:31 pm 
All-Conference

FOOT84 wrote:
BearCountry wrote:
FOOT84 wrote:

The Stripes - probably the best marketing tool UCA Athletics has ever had. Love it or hate it, everyone talks about it. And besides, who doesn’t love purple and gray?

Tailgating and football go together and I don’t care if you’re cooking, drinking, sending kids to bouncy houses or holding bible classes. As long as it’s building fan loyalty and increasing attendance, I’m for it.

Purple Circle - absolutely! I would encourage anyone who is not a member to become one. I believe the minimum level is $100 and all Bear teams benefit from the gift.

The season is rapidly approaching, with COVID 19 weakening and with the Bears returning 21 starters and a new conference, please join me in expecting an outstanding season on the field and increasing the Bear Nation fandom!

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:50 pm 
All-Conference

xbear83 wrote:
The Stripes - probably the best marketing tool UCA Athletics has ever had. Love it or hate it, everyone talks about it. And besides, who doesn’t love purple and gray?

Absolutely! I've also felt the same way about the Sugar Bear moniker. I remember watching either VB or WBB the years they made the NCAA tournament -- EVERYBODY talked about the Sugar Bears.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:00 pm 
UserName Retired

FOOT84 wrote:

I'm just glad they are replacing the turf for the safety of the players...our own and our opponents.

It's part of upkeep.

Let's go BEARS!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:44 am 
All-Conference

So essentially same color scheme, just new surface? I understand it's very expensive to replace, but hate when any school waits till the last possible year. Usually this can cause some serious injuries.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:45 am 
UserName Retired

Mulerider wrote:
So essentially same color scheme, just new surface? I understand it's very expensive to replace, but hate when any school waits till the last possible year. Usually this can cause some serious injuries.

I have to imagine they wanted to replace it last year or thereabouts but the pandemic shut it all down. That stuff only lasts 10 years so I hear.

I got a kid who plays for a local high school who came to a camp here and everyone of the attendees he spoke with said it was like skating on ice. Guess that's what 10+ years of hot summer Arkansas heat does to a field. I'm just thankful it's getting done. =D>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:35 pm 
All-Conference

BearCountry wrote:
Mulerider wrote:

I have to imagine they wanted to replace it last year or thereabouts but the pandemic shut it all down. That stuff only lasts 10 years so I hear.

I got a kid who plays for a local high school who came to a camp here and everyone of the attendees he spoke with said it was like skating on ice. Guess that's what 10+ years of hot summer Arkansas heat does to a field. I'm just thankful it's getting done. =D>

Yes, the guy who runs the company graduated from SAU back in the day. I would call him a pretty famous alumni. :D . I do think there are different qualities of turf you can get and some probably have a certain amount of years wear on them.

Also, I feel like I heard a while back the better the surface that you play on, the more maintenance it needs. For example when you have middle of the road turf, it has a long wear life, but may not be as good right at the beginning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:54 pm 
All-Conference

FOOT84 wrote:

my head's in the stadium, and i don't see many folks on bruce other than the fraternities and a few folks around the trailers parked on bruce. you're going to have people stay at the tailgate, if the tailgating is good. because it's good tailgaiting, amirite? Mcneese and LA tech have the same problem with greater numbers. why go in the stadium and buy $8 beers, when i've my cooler next to me at the truck? these aren't really the folks we are targeting to begin with.

sorry you got mad at getting called a dude. do we need to start putting our pronouns on our screennames?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next