It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Arkansas State
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:34 am 
All-Conference

bwbear wrote:
A lot to unpack from the game last night.

First, it is always great to play an in-state team. And while we had a decent amount of fans there, I was really hoping we could get a few more butts in the stands than what we did. Of course, it is just the continuation of the same discussions we have about our own home crowds.

But let me talk about the game now.

The Good:

Defensive scheme was really good the first half. We played a really good bend-don’t-break style, giving up some plays but making the stops when we had to.

Breylin, Winningham, Hudson all looked good against a pretty decent secondary. #5 and #88 were constantly making plays against their corners.

We kept pressure on the QB, even late into the game.

The Bad:

Run game just isn’t there. We had a few good runs, but not near enough on the ground to have a good balanced attack.

Breylin was having to throw on the run or off his back foot too often.

Our secondary either was considerably slower than their guys or tired late in the game. Our guys were losing their WR’s way too often.

As much as I hate taking a loss, even to bigger school, I saw some good things last night. We obviously have a lot of rust we need to get out of our system, and things that need to be cleaned up as we head into FCS play. But I saw the makings of a playoff caliber team. I felt the offensive play calling was a lot better for the most part. I still not like to see the run on 3rd and long where we are not backed up that much, but it only happened once or twice last night.

I think if we can clean up the week 1 mistakes and keep healthy, we’ll have a stout team and a great season.

Yea, i was not impressed by our turnout either. we maybe had 1,500.

I was very impressed with our defense. we have good DL depth and that will pay dividends later this year. they just got worn down by a bigger and talented OL. the starting QB missed some open targets and had happy feet early on that benefitted us. i think hatcher is their guy moving forward. he was impressive.

we missed an opportunity to go up 2 scores in the first half with the ball on their 35. however, we threw 4 consecutive deep balls incomplete. we didn’t get close again until the end of the 3rd Q leaving the defense high and dry.

i’m over our offensive scheme and play calling. it’s remedial and predictable. we are a late in his career babe ruth. home run or strikeout, no in between. i’m pretty sure no uca possession lasted longer than 7 plays.

onto a very tough missouri st team. will not be easy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:09 pm 
All-Conference

huggy_bear wrote:
i’m over our offensive scheme and play calling.

I've been reading this comment here for the past 3 or 4 years. What's to be done?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:11 pm 
UserName Retired

Before the ASU game is fully behind us fans ( the team better be way beyond this by now), another look at what happened with some hindsight based on time of possession....it seems there is pretty good consensus that the first three quarters was basically hard fought toss up game dominated by defenses.......most FCS teams would be pleased with this performance overall vs a pretty solid G5 program...then the fourth quarter....

The INT early in Q4 that ASU turned into a TD in the next 7 seconds really changed the game....this took the game from a manageable 26-14 game where ball control and avoiding turnovers could make a difference in the outcome to a near panic trailing 33-14 of having to score 3x and taking more risks....the Bears started off fine with a 3:38 drive ending in a TD to close to 33-21.....couple that with a defense that was tiring so whenever offense went off the field quickly the defense had to come back on with little rest...ASU took that to good advantage...a 4:45 drive consuming clock and tallying a final score.....

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, what a difference there may have been........avoid the INT with strong run game making ASU gets the ball back at their 20 after a punt (or maybe a FG) not only delays a quick score but the score is then only 26-21 for the final few minutes of play...might have still lost but defense would have gotten more rest at a crucial time...football is a "game of inches" and this game with just a slight difference could have been something like 29-28....

Frank Broyles (and Ken Hatfield) used to win game after game in Q4 with a strong run game that would take half or more of the quarter and score a TD....maybe some day we will be doing that and then we can get to Frisco....

Time of Possession:

Q1:
ASU: 3:30, 9 plays
UCA :53, 3 plays
ASU: :54, 2 plays, fumble lost
UCA: :10, 1 play, 66 TD pass
ASU: 2:45, 7 plays, FG made
UCA: 1:29, 3 plays
ASU: 1:53, 3 plays
UCA: 2:35, 4 plays

UCA leads 7-3

Q2:
ASU: 1:13, 3 plays
UCA: 3:30, 8 plays
ASU: 3:30, 8 plays
UCA: 2:23, 5 plays
ASU: 1:10, 3 plays
UCA: 1:40, 3 plays
ASU: 1:26, 7 plays, FG made
UCA: 1:14, 3 plays

UCA leads 7-6

Q3:
UCA: 2:13, 4 plays
ASU: 4:26, 10 plays, 2 yd TD run (ASU 13-7)
UCA: 2:24, 5 plays
ASU: 3:04, 8 plays, 34 yd TD pass (ASU 20-7)
UCA: 2:14, 6 plays, 7 yd TD pass

ASU leads 20-14

Q4:
ASU: 3:41, 7 plays, 8 yd TD pass, PAT failed (ASU 26-14)
UCA: :13, 1 play, INT
ASU: :07, 1 play, 33 yd TD pass (ASU 33-14)
UCA: 3:38, 8 plays, 14 yd TD pass (ASU 33-21)
ASU: 4:45, 8 plays, 5 yd TD pass (ASU 40-21)
UCA: :30, 3 plays
ASU: 1:12, 3 plays
UCA: :26, 4 plays
ASU: :40, 1 play

ASU wins 40-21