It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jacksonville state, SHSU leaving FCS
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:50 pm 
All-Conference

BearCountry, I am in total agreement with you. I have given some ideas to the top to the big people but it falls on deaf ears. 1st, grow the band. 2nd, have guest bands from high schools in faulkner county to sit with the BMB during games and let them preform as well. It would bring families to the games to watch their students. 3rd, like you said we need props to get the fans involved. 4th, get the word out. send some Bears to the schools to do volunteer work and tell people about UCA football. Coach Conque did that and it worked. 5th, unlimited free tailgating. that would help thing a lot. That is my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:56 pm 
UserName Retired

Some good ideas for sure....promotions for the short term and fan development for the long term...neither are very costly....I wholeheartedly agree re the BMB comment....we have an excellent music program and BMB is very good in "sight, sound and musicality".....they compare very favorably with "big program" bands ...pre-game, half time show, stand music (what they play during the game to create atmosphere) and enthusiasm....I would love to see 300+..that also bring parents and younger siblings....their post-game show that most fans never see is great.....

I am old enough to remember that attendance at Fayetteville games was pretty sparse....Frank Broyles got active "quarterback club" chapters in many counties and he and other coaches made the rounds to promote the program in the off season...I went to more than one such event in the 60s (with my Dad who had been a lifelong Vols fan but who admired Frank) .....Frank ranks very high among ADs for what he was able to get done but growing the fan following and attendance was a very high priority.....he did have some advantages to work with.....a growing school enrollment, a growing state population (about 1.5 million when he came and closing in on 3M when he retired) and growing % of state residents and alumni making much better money....stadium capacity in chart below....

What he really did well was get alumni to stay involved over the years...that has been a boon to the entire university...it also does not hurt to have loyal alums like Jerry Jones...

I think UCA may be focusing heavily on enrollment and devoting energies to expanding classroom, labs and professor offices/resources to handle more programs and students...enrollment is an issue in most states with declining high school graduations levels...however, I think it is clear that Arkansas puts its state money into Fayetteville as a priority and their enrollment growth (heavily from Texas) shows it....money is not just laying around.....

We do a lot of things right...not the least being high academic ratings including athletes...and mostly competitive teams at conference and some at regional levels...

Estes capacity officially shows as 8500 but capacity is about 12,000....wonder what it takes to add 3500 more seats? Anyone know if tailgaters get counted in attendance?

Razorback Stadium capacity over the years....
76,212 (2018–Present)...enrollment about 27,000
72,000 (2001–2017)
50,019 (1995–2000)
52,680 (1985–1994)
42,678 (1969–1984)...enrollment in 1980s about 14,000
38,000 (1965–1967)
30,000 (1957–1964)...enrollment was about 6,000
21,200 (1950–1956)
18,500 (1947–1949)
13,500 (1938–1946)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:50 pm 
UserName Retired

UALR to move to OVC.....

Solves a problem with UCA ever moving up to Sunbelt...that is, three Arkansas school in Sunbelt.....

https://www.ualrpublicradio.org/local-regional-news/2021-12-08/university-of-arkansas-little-rock-to-change-sports-conference-division

University of Arkansas-Little Rock to change sports conference division
KUAR | By Associated Press
Published December 8, 2021 at 5:24 PM CST

The University of Arkansas System has approved UA Little Rock's request to pursue a move to the Ohio Valley Conference.

Chancellor Christina Drale intends the school to join the conference on July 1.

Arkansas-Little Rock is a member of the Sun Belt Conference for all sports except wrestling (PAC-12). The Ohio Valley currently has 10 members, but next year Belmont will join the Missouri Valley Conference and Austin Peay will join the ASUN Conference.

This is the latest in a flurry of moves by schools since Oklahoma and Texas agreed to leave the Big 12 for the Southeastern Conference and Cincinnati, Central Florida and Houston agreed to leave the American Athletic Conference for the Big 12. The Big 12 also added BYU.

The American has added Alabama-Birmingham, Charlotte, Florida Atlantic, North Texas, Rice and Texas-San Antonio from Conference USA.

Conference USA has in turn added Liberty, New Mexico State, Sam Houston State and Jacksonville State.