It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rumors: UCA May Return to Southland
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:56 pm 
Redshirt

(SLC Commissioner Chris)"Grant would not comment on rumors that Central Arkansas, which left last summer for the Atlantic Sun, might also be looking to make a return to the SLC.

“I will say we are going to be aggressive in trying to get recruit schools that fit our league’s profile and footprint,” said Grant. “We will listen and talk to those teams and keep in mind what we are trying to do.”

https://www.americanpress.com/2022/06/2 ... onference/

Post subject: Re: Rumors: UCA May Return to Southland
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:15 pm 
Redshirt

No comments? No dancing for joy or ready to jump off a bridge if this were to happen?
Do you think this would be likely or not?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:40 am 
Two-Time All-American

Also rumors of UCA going to FBS…
So who knows except Dr. Teague

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:15 pm 
All-Conference

FOOT84 wrote:
Also rumors of UCA going to FBS…
So who knows except Dr. Teague

I don't know how this could happen unless there are some big donors that I don't know about. I am guessing you would have to do some major stadium rennovation as well as other football facilties.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:56 pm 
All-Conference

We're in the midst of the worst athletics stretch than I can recall at the moment. Losing seasons in all 3 majors sports + WBB with not a lot of hope on the horizon. We have no natural rivals anywhere...that hurts the university's ability to generate interest and passion among a relatively apathetic alumni and fan base.

Perhaps moving back to the Southland wouldn't be all that bad. It seemed like we were building something with McNeese, but again, they are so far away. Hoping we continue to schedule with MO St.

Jax St. moving to FBS hurt the ASUN's chances of being relevant.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:27 pm 
All-Conference

I don't see UCA moving back to the Southland conference. UCA wants to move forward in the way of sports. Losing seasons in football, men's and women's basketball doesn't help matters any. I think there will have to be changes made in order to get the Bears back on the winning side of sports. What changes? I don't know but something has to give, or the programs will be mediocre at best. I hope to see a turn around this fall.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:45 am 
2nd Team

I know the Southland commish has been aggressive and pretty outspoken about trying to get the recent losses back into the league, but I see a myriad of problems that would keep us away from returning.

1) McNeese - I would love to still have the Cowboys as a conference rival, BUT, the southland clearly used them as glue to keep the league together. Nearly every conference tournament starting this year is being hosted in Lake Charles as a perk for McNeese to remain in the SLC. FB media days being hosted in Lake Charles. SLC knew they needed McNeese and they did everything they could to cater to them and make them stay. Not sure I want to step into that situation unless the conference and McNeese agree to share the fortune with us. (I'd be pissed if I was SLU - didn't get anything out of the deal really)

2) Olympic sports - the ASUN top-to-bottom is a much better league when it comes to MBB/WBB/BB. Multiple ranked baseball programs at one point this year, ranked FGCU in WBB, average MBB RPI much higher than SLC. I realize Liberty is leaving the ASUN, but as a whole the conference is still deeper than the Southland. With the loss of SFA/SHSU in MBB and SHSU in baseball, the conference lost some depth.

Obviously the football situation must be worked out with the loss of JSU, but I can't see Dr. Teague leaving us in a situation that would prevent us from being competitive nationally in postseason regards.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:09 am 
UserName Retired

If all it is a matter of grabbing one more football school for the ASUN to be playoff eligible and to end the agreement with the WAC then I don't see that being such an issue to force UCA back to the SLC. One football playing school to get the conference to 6.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:05 am 
All-Conference

Football is king

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:41 pm 
All-Conference

Here are some teams who I'd like to see become members of the ASUN. Western Missouri, East Cent. Oklahoma, Tennessee Martin, N.W. Louisiana, and Southeastern Louisiana. Does anyone have any ideas who the ASUN should go after??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:15 am 
All-Conference

Papabear wrote:
Here are some teams who I'd like to see become members of the ASUN. Western Missouri, East Cent. Oklahoma, Tennessee Martin, N.W. Louisiana, and Southeastern Louisiana. Does anyone have any ideas who the ASUN should go after??

I really think East Central Oklahoma hasn't had enough D2 success to warrant a move up. Looking at a couple of factors though, I think Arkansas Tech based on revenue and size of school could make the jump. Harding could as well.

Western Missouri is a good option on the surface, don't know too much about them though. I would try to keep the Louisana Schools out I think for now, then circle back if needed. Tennessee Martin might be a good choice.

Here is a map btw of all D1 FCS schools. Needs updating a little bit I think.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 223641&z=7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:58 am 
2nd Team

Papabear wrote:
I don't see UCA moving back to the Southland conference. UCA wants to move forward in the way of sports. Losing seasons in football, men's and women's basketball doesn't help matters any. I think there will have to be changes made in order to get the Bears back on the winning side of sports. What changes? I don't know but something has to give, or the programs will be mediocre at best. I hope to see a turn around this fall.

First time poster long time viewer/bear fan. I agree I just don’t see them moving back to the southland. I do think this incoming class has the potential to help fill a couple gaps and put some W’s on the board in football. With kids getting an extra year of eligibility I believe it helped us pick up a couple kids we wouldn’t normally have gotten the chance to get. Looking forward to a great season. Go bears!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:01 pm 
UserName Retired

Not clear who are actual candidates for moving to ASUN....travel and long time tie-ins are big factors...travel not so much not for football but for the round robin sports.... UT-Martin and UT-Chattanooga makes geographic sense.....maybe Western Carolina....maybe Tennessee Tech.....Samford would work...if P5 breaks off from NCAA then there will be another puzzle piece as some P5 teams will not end up in a new configuration and they will be looking for an FBS conference.......

As to UCA moving up to FBS there is the issue of stadium size (ie, money) and attendance......MBB and WBB would then really have to step it up.....baseball, softball and volleyball can compete and the other non-revenue sports would be competitive.....

Right now I want to win the ASUN and gets to Frisco....Go Bears!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:54 pm 
2nd Team

As far as ASUN additions go, I think the most logical plan would be to raid what's left of the OVC and possibly Big South.

Big South:

Gardner-Webb
Charleston Southern
Bryant
Robert Morris

I think the only team worth making an effort for is Charleston Southern. Horrible travel for us, but they fit the overall conference footprint well, and thats a trip we only have to make once every two years.

OVC:

Tennessee Tech
Tennessee State
Tennesse-Martin
SEMO
Lindenwood
Eastern Illinois

Here's where the gold is. TSU is in Nashville, so they fit the conference footprint as well as being in a large media market. Lipscomb is already getting us in the door there, however TSU likely has more eyes as an athletic department. Tennessee Tech is a great option. They have good baseball, and football has its moments. Would love to see them join. SEMO too. They are a stone's throw from us, usually decent at pretty much every sport, decent facilities, etc. UTM as a department doesn't interest me that much, but if they approached the conference I think it would be worth an offer.

Thats 4-5 solid additions if you could poach them. Add those and lose JSU, and the conference is stable and strong. Time will tell!

Go BEARS!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:32 pm 
UserName Retired

SLC show shows 8 football teams......MSU, SELA, NSU, NWS, UIW, Lamar, HBU, Tx-Commerce...

ASUN shows 6.....UCA, EKU, APU, KSU, UNA.....excludes JSU who is on the way out...

If we were all FBS that would make a very nice "southern" conference with a championship game.....find one more and have 14 which is what SEC has....

Too many for FCS.....10 is about the most to allow for one FBS and one P-5 game each season....