It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quarterback Situation
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:14 pm 
All-Conference

What on earth is going on with the QB situation? We only have two on the roster and they are both new ones coming in?

https://ucasports.com/sports/football/r ... t=position

Post subject: Re: Quarterback Situation
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:36 am 
Two-Time All-American

Breylin was here for what seemed like
an eternity. Good QB, not great and not mobile…
but nevertheless no one ever challenged him for
the starting job. Gotta have a dual threat guy
at the helm in my opinion. Just haven’t found one
yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:25 pm 
All-Conference

Maybe the question is what happened to Tyler Gee and Andy Myers along with the two that transferred out last spring? I know we have the two new transfers in Will McElvain and Clifton McDowell and hear both are highly regarded. Though it is concerning if the Bears are headed into the season with only two QB’s. Besides the risk of injury, grooming a red shirt, scout team QB or two for the future would make sense.
Perhaps the Bears are planning on utilizing the portal for their future QB requirements. With the way things are changing in the NCAA, perhaps the Bears get another transfer QB in before fall? :D

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:06 pm 
UserName Retired

The QBs and other players we signed out of high school that are not "admitted" or "registered" yet for UCA are not on the roster.

Look at the roster as it is incomplete. Not all we recruited are admitted yet I guess.

The QB out of Vilonia still has UCA as his school but isn't on our roster yet. Austin Meyers.

I guess sometimes there are those who wait a little later to get started? Who knows!

Tyler Gee left football to focus on his studies full time I heard.

Let's see who rolls into summer camps....

I'm excited for this squad!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:10 am 
All-Conference

BearCountry wrote:
The QBs and other players we signed out of high school that are not "admitted" or "registered" yet for UCA are not on the roster.

Look at the roster as it is incomplete. Not all we recruited are admitted yet I guess.

The QB out of Vilonia still has UCA as his school but isn't on our roster yet. Austin Meyers.

I guess sometimes there are those who wait a little later to get started? Who knows!

Tyler Gee left football to focus on his studies full time I heard.

Let's see who rolls into summer camps....

I'm excited for this squad!

Thanks for the update, but I thought summer camp started in June. I see a number of high school signees (not early graduates) who are listed on the roster. I guess they are actually admitted or registered and Austin Myers hasn’t.
Guess we’ll see who else shows up.

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:25 am 
2nd Team

xbear83 wrote:

Thanks for the update, but I thought summer camp started in June. I see a number of high school signees (not early graduates) who are listed on the roster. I guess they are actually admitted or registered and Austin Myers hasn’t.
Guess we’ll see who else shows up.

Summer conditioning program does begin in June however for one reason or another you often see players that may not report until Phase II (July) or even Fall camp beginning that first week of August. So I would expect several to be added to the roster come mid August!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:34 am 
2nd Team

As far as the QB situation goes, I wouldn't be too concerned. Talking with coaches and others inside the program, I've heard nothing but good about McElvain. Based on watching him when he was at Northern Iowa, I would compare him to Johnny Manziel as far as play style. Dual threat, quick, throws a very good ball. Smaller kid.

McDowell is a big, tall figure but still a dual threat. If he ends up being the 2nd string guy, I'm feeling really good about the situation.

Still on the roster is a RFr. from Harding Academy. Caden Sipe. Watched him when he was at HA and dude can sling it. I'm assuming he is playing as a PWO at the moment, but with the mass exodus that was last year's QB room he may have stepped into one of those scholarships. Bigger guy, broke records at Harding. Young, but he can spin the football for sure.

I think we'll be fine. Even with the loss of T-Huddy and Lujuan, we have a good core of receivers with a couple of FBS transfers there too. Whoever the signal caller is will have some serious weapons to hand-off and throw to :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:06 am 
2nd Team

Looks like they are updating the roster.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:25 pm 
UserName Retired

Met a UNI booster not long after the announcement that McElvain was coming to UCA...said we would not be disappointed.....Mo State game should be interesting since he played in MVFC and has some familiarity with the Maroon Bears who won in last minutes...did not see any stats for McElvain........Go Bears!!