All-Conference

huggy_bear wrote:
Bobby P: 27
Nathan Brown: 13

Thought Hayden would miss an extra point also

Post subject: Re: UCA vs #5 Missouri State
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:00 am 
UserName Retired

Defense played pretty well…..some missed tackles that led to first downs….plenty of pressure on Shelley but lost contain on a few scrambles……Jessup and Walker should grade out well….offense execution off a bit in passing game although Q4 it seemed much better….Hale and James had superb games rushing….still cannot believe Ray missed two field goals……Caughron punted well …..exceptional punt that should have been downed inside the one……kick off return for late TD was disappointing …..

McElvain seemed to have trouble seeing over the LOS and o-line could not protect him long enough on drop backs…..good scrambler ……slightly over threw two long routes that were likely TDs…….he and receivers got more comfortable as the game went on….got to get ball more to RBs out of backfield on some screens and wheel routes and the like…..saw one TE route wide open over the middle but I think he just did not see it….he showed promise and he is tough….

They have lots of talent on both sides…..if execution was just a little better tonight this would have been a W….

I have heard many coaches say the difference in virtually every college football game is 5 or few plays out of 120+…….tonight’s five…….#1 and #2…… two missed field goals for 6 missed points……#3……98 yard TD on kick off…..7 points…….#4….missed block where McElvain got planted in the turf and lost his helmet….Bears were driving inside MSU 40 and this turned a 2nd and 8 into 3rd and 15 with a new QB and a lost play…..#5……anyone of the Shelley scrambles that kept a drive alive…..or hit just one of the open deep routes…..note the the first three is a 13 point swing…..

In the words of a former SEC head coach…..it is really hard to win a D1 football game….this one was winnable with just a little better execution on offense mostly….they will get better…..by the way, Kennesaw State really struggled at Samford tonight…..Go Bears

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:30 am 
2nd Team

I'm not jumping ship on these dudes. Defense played really well. Like JRK said just lost contain on a few scrambles but that's an all American QB they've got under center.

Running game looked good. Special teams was the difference really. Lost by 13 and that was the total points given up/left on the field from missed FG/KOR TD.

This is a squad with nearly 50 new faces on the field this year. Not gonna throw the towel in yet. Enough bright spots for me to be optimistic as long as a few little things get addressed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:43 am 
2nd Team

BearOnCampus wrote:
I'm not jumping ship on these dudes. Defense played really well. Like JRK said just lost contain on a few scrambles but that's an all American QB they've got under center.

Running game looked good. Special teams was the difference really. Lost by 13 and that was the total points given up/left on the field from missed FG/KOR TD.

This is a squad with nearly 50 new faces on the field this year. Not gonna throw the towel in yet. Enough bright spots for me to be optimistic as long as a few little things get addressed

Couldn’t have said it better myself. They scheduled tough non conference games and that is going to ready them for conference play. That Missouri state team is ranked high for a reason and UCA just needed a couple things to go their way and we could have been celebrating a win this morning. Bright spots for me obviously was the D line. They really showed out. Special teams have a couple things to clean up but overall I am still optimistic.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:32 am 
2nd Team

Would like to see us utilize play action a little more. Our run game is really good. Good enough that people are going to load the box at some point and a PA is going to be more effective than a drop back pass. I think that works for McElvain a little better too. PA roll outs, etc. will get him out of the pocket and into some open space where, as we saw last night, he can be dangerous

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:45 am 
Practice Squad

Thought the 2 missed field goals and the one extra pt was a factor. I was impressed with the defense. The rbs Hale and James were awesome. The qb is small but showed grit. UCA will be a team not to take lightly this year. Go Bears!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:18 am 
2nd Team

Ma Bear wrote:
Thought the 2 missed field goals and the one extra pt was a factor. I was impressed with the defense. The rbs Hale and James were awesome. The qb is small but showed grit. UCA will be a team not to take lightly this year. Go Bears!

No doubt they were a factor. Honestly sucked the life out of the sideline and stadium both times. ST blunders were the point differential in that game

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:52 pm 
UserName Retired

Game Stats

MSU: 18-30/266/1TD pass + 32-90/1TD rush = 356 total offense
UCA: 18-31/173/1TD/2INTs + 41-168/1TD rush = 341 total offense

Darius Hale - 18-99 rush and 2-7rec
Kylin James - 8-84 rush and 3-23rec
Myles Butler - 6-72/1TD rec
Jarrod Barnes - 4-48rec
Chandler Caughron - punts 6-261/43.5avg

MSU stars: