https://247sports.com/Article/College-f ... 10857/Amp/

Post subject: Re: Kennesaw State Joining CUSA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:21 pm 
All-Conference

this is turning into a disaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:22 pm 
UserName Retired

I thought I recalled last season that we heard the same thing when Jax State announced but then nothing ever happened...if not this season it seems inevitable given KSU is the largest university in Georgia (depending on how you count enrollment) and gives CUSA the gigantic Atlanta TV market more readily...first I have heard about it this season.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:26 pm 
Redshirt

https://twitter.com/Sidelines_SN/status ... 9Z0yaq258w

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:30 pm 
Redshirt

From Matt Brown of Extra Points:

"Multiple industry sources have told me that while Eastern Kentucky is very interested, Western Kentucky has made it very clear that they do not want the Colonels in the league. Tarleton State has not been shy about expressing their interest in joining the league, but multiple industry sources have told me that Conference USA is not nearly as interested in them...at least right now. Missouri State, I'm told, remains focused on hoping to eventually join the Sun Belt, not Conference USA. Stephen F Austin, I'm been consistently told, would prefer not to make an FBS transition at this particular moment due to costs and infrastructure requirements. Unless a new school emerges, the candidate pool would likely just be the remaining ASUN football programs, like Central Arkansas, Austin Peay, or North Alabama."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:20 pm 
UserName Retired

CUSA has only 11 teams now and could go to 14 and still have a championship game...

Sunbelt already at 14 teams.....

CUSA has Middle Tennessee so maybe APU not a great fit as both are so near to the Nashville market....but you could see an annual "trophy game" in Nashville...

EKU might work but WKU would have to get something in return.....maybe a different CUSA division

CUSA has UAB and is getting Jax State.....having a 3rd AL team in UNA seems a stretch...

UCA adds Arkansas to CUSA and has no similar conflicts.....not sure how we could afford it...BUT moving to FBS is not just more costs....it also brings attendance and more TV $ as it is "real football" (as if North Dakota State is pee wee league!!)....plus a 12th game....I suspect FBS status also brings more students to a university.....maybe not logical but do you think A- State would be attractive to non-athlete students who like sports if they dropped down to FCS or D2?

Maybe the ADs could look at expanding CUSA to 14 and rationalize members of CUSA and Sunbelt....of course, there are others regional FCS schools that might make sense also....

The coming turmoil among P5 conferences is a big wild card....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:08 am 
Redshirt

JRK wrote:
CUSA has only 11 teams now and could go to 14 and still have a championship game...

CUSA has Middle Tennessee so maybe APU not a great fit as both are so near to the Nashville market....but you could see an annual "trophy game" in Nashville...

EKU might work but WKU would have to get something in return.....maybe a different CUSA division

CUSA has UAB and is getting Jax State.....having a 3rd AL team in UNA seems a stretch...

UCA adds Arkansas to CUSA and has no similar conflicts.....not sure how we could afford it...BUT moving to FBS is not just more costs....it also brings attendance and more TV $ as it is "real football" (as if North Dakota State is pee wee league!!)....plus a 12th game....I suspect FBS status also brings more students to a university.....maybe not logical but do you think A- State would be attractive to non-athlete students who like sports if they dropped down to FCS or D2?

Maybe the ADs could look at expanding CUSA to 14 and rationalize members of CUSA and Sunbelt....of course, there are others regional FCS schools that might make sense also....

Couple of things...

1) I have no idy of MUTS fans thoughts or reactions to having The Govs in the league (they have dropped serious money on rebuild of their football stadium so there is sign of serious facilities commitments which helps). If there is ANY inclination that Middle would jump, Austin Peay could fill that void nicely.

2) EKU desperately desperately wants to go FBS (worst kept secret in all mid major football) but all inclinations point to them being blocked by WKU (I think again, only way EKU is getting in CUSA is if WKU is no longer part of the league).

3) UAB is leaving CUSA for the American so as it stands now, Jax State will be their only bama team (North Alabama has extremely strong pedigree and dominance from their DII days, but I'm not sure if that correlates over to Division I--Both FCS and FBS). Also I think out of all the potential CUSA candidates with Kennesaw, they have the worst stadium (capacity wise it's sufficient but it is extremely old, outdated and dumpy).

4) From what I have read, KSU and UCA are in similar boats; both have been very competitive at the FCS level and both have operated under very limited budgets (Even for the FCS level). However, just being "linked" to FBS has appeared to suddenly give the Owls program an open check book from multiple donors and sponsors and I think the same would happen with the Bears. The biggie with UCA the facilities have got to be drastically updated (primarily Football and Basketball).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:44 pm 
Redshirt

RamblinRedWolf wrote:
JRK wrote:

Couple of things...

1) I have no idy of MUTS fans thoughts or reactions to having The Govs in the league (they have dropped serious money on rebuild of their football stadium so there is sign of serious facilities commitments which helps). If there is ANY inclination that Middle would jump, Austin Peay could fill that void nicely.

2) EKU desperately desperately wants to go FBS (worst kept secret in all mid major football) but all inclinations point to them being blocked by WKU (I think again, only way EKU is getting in CUSA is if WKU is no longer part of the league).

3) UAB is leaving CUSA for the American so as it stands now, Jax State will be their only bama team (North Alabama has extremely strong pedigree and dominance from their DII days, but I'm not sure if that correlates over to Division I--Both FCS and FBS). Also I think out of all the potential CUSA candidates with Kennesaw, they have the worst stadium (capacity wise it's sufficient but it is extremely old, outdated and dumpy).

4) From what I have read, KSU and UCA are in similar boats; both have been very competitive at the FCS level and both have operated under very limited budgets (Even for the FCS level). However, just being "linked" to FBS has appeared to suddenly give the Owls program an open check book from multiple donors and sponsors and I think the same would happen with the Bears. The biggie with UCA the facilities have got to be drastically updated (primarily Football and Basketball).

UNA just voted to proceed with building a new stadium... Don't know the details yet.

UNA is also the fastest growing University in Alabama, and in the largest market in Alabama(Florence is in the Huntsville Market)...

Not saying it will happen, but that's something to think about.

They are also JSUs historical in state rival.

And with what's left of the ASUN football schools, it gives CUSA everything they need to get back competitive with the rest of the G5 conferences. (Tight footprint, rivalries and schools that have fans that care.) CUSA lost their butts putting all their chips on media markets, now they have to think more about what makes college football great.

Point is, I've been told multiple times since JSU got invited, that CUSA will eventually invite all of the ASUN football schools. Maybe not all at the same time...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:34 am 
Team Captain

It’s official now, Kennesaw State is leaving ASUN in July 2024. https://ksuowls.com/news/2022/10/14/gen ... 24-25.aspx

My $0.02, we will continue to see realignment within the power 5 conferences. For example PAC 12 (or Big 12) raiding Mountain West, then Mountain West raids Conference USA, then Conference USA has to backfill.

Point being I’d prefer to wait it out another year in joint WAC/ASUN partnership then run back to Southland or join Ohio Valley. Also with what’s left of the FCS how many strong conferences even remain? At this point it’s just Missouri Valley and CAA. To credit the ASUN they had attractive successful institutions ready for FBS, which is now being validated.

Liberty - Large endowment $$$, top facilities, high enrollment, winning teams
Kennesaw - high enrollment, large media market, winning teams, rivalries with Conf USA teams
Jackson State - winning teams

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:22 pm 
All-Conference

Big Sky has 5 top 10 FCS teams

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:04 pm 
UserName Retired

I think you mean Jacksonville State