It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ASUN/WAC form new FBS conference
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:16 am 
UserName Retired

It's happening.

The WAC was formerly an FBS conference and can be grandfathered back into the FBS and the NCAA can't do anything about it.

Quote:
The remaining football members of the Atlantic Sun and WAC have agreed to align to form the foundation of a 10-member football-only conference, sources told ESPN, with the intention of becoming the 11th FBS conference.

The schools have signed a "multi-party term sheet agreement" to commit to the new league. Sources familiar with the agreement said the schools "desire to form a partnership for the development and operation of a football-only conference."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35216756/atlantic-sun-wac-teams-pairing-move-fbs-sources-say

Post subject: Re: ASUN/WAC form new FBS conference
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:49 am 
Redshirt

Very awesome news for UCA! I’m all for it (would love to see a rivalry game between two schools)

My question for y’all-thoughts on being able to bump up a Holly’s, cost of attendance and most importantly facility upgrades for FBS Level?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:14 am 
UserName Retired

I think the only thing stopping UCA from jumping to the FBS, apart from the need to be invited from a current or former FBS conference, was UCA's lack of confidence that if they moved up the fans wouldn't support it. You can see UCA is small ball with low fan support at games. But honestly if you saw the HUGE support for the teams when we moved up from division II to division I FCS, I'd say we will begin to see those companies and stable fans start to throw more money toward the department. Not saying we will be on the level of ASU for years, but slowly you will see it. The average FBS fan may not even consider going to a new WAC game but I know I will and I will gladly greatly increase my giving to the program. =D>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:22 pm 
UserName Retired

Looks like a positive move. Even if this turns out to only be a new FCS conference it stabilizes things for the programs for a while.

I was OK with us in D2 and OK with us moving to FCS and likely be OK with a move to FBS. I would need to see more of what it entails. Having said that, if UCA decides to move up, I cannot see me not being willing to pay more for game tickets, more to PCC and maybe a one-time amount for infrastructure. Whether central Arkansas football "fans" will respond is another question.

Sounds very interesting.

PS....my preference would be to stay in FCS and become a habitual team in the championship game....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:59 am 
2nd Team

I think the landscape of college football is going to change a lot the next few years. I’m not against the move up, but I do think significant effort will have to be made to increase the fan base.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:15 pm 
All-Conference

Looking more like a move to keep up with similar schools than an urge to be a big time program.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:32 am 
Two-Time All-American

JRK wrote:
Looks like a positive move. Even if this turns out to only be a new FCS conference it stabilizes things for the programs for a while.

I was OK with us in D2 and OK with us moving to FCS and likely be OK with a move to FBS. I would need to see more of what it entails. Having said that, if UCA decides to move up, I cannot see me not being willing to pay more for game tickets, more to PCC and maybe a one-time amount for infrastructure. Whether central Arkansas football "fans" will respond is another question.

Sounds very interesting.

PS....my preference would be to stay in FCS and become a habitual team in the championship game....

I agree JRK...
Moving up to FBS in my opinion drops the expectations of the program.
All you need is 6 wins to get to a bowl game to satisfy your fan base.
Just like High School when years ago the playoff was expanded so that
everyone gets to go. Being rewarded for being average doesn't appeal to me.

Trophy games are also not appealing...the only trophys that matter are
conference championships and National Championships.