All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teague talking about WAC/ASUN move to FBS
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:09 pm 
Redshirt

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4zYgPoOns03hz02fPTfoiG

Post subject: Re: Teague talking about WAC/ASUN move to FBS
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:29 pm 
UserName Retired

Quite interesting...... being a natural cynic, especially when it comes to the NCAA, a couple things really caught my attention.....

1 - the D1 "Transformation Committee" is chaired by the SEC Commissioner and
2 - there may be an inclination to reduce the number for D1 football playing schools and
3 - the NCAA has never allowed a new football-only new FBS conference

This implies, or maybe suggests, a huge change is coming in D1 with lots of casualties...and coming fairly soon.....

I knew there were quite a few D1 schools that do not play football but did not know it was about 33% of total D1 schools....

Also, the 12th FBS game is a big deal ...the P-5 teams get another very profitable home game and the visiting team gets a very nice payday vs what a FCS team is paid...

At the end of that day I still believe this is about more $$$ for the P-5 schools...

On an unrelated subject, I noticed A-State has billboards in and around Pine Bluff area which I have not noticed in the past on my many trips to and thru SEARK...not sure what it means beyond the declining size of the pipeline for college students...and the increasing competition for students...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:42 pm 
All-Conference

For those who haven’t heard, Oliver Luck has been named executive director of the new ASUN WAC football league. A very high profile name for the new league. National media was able to schedule phone interviews with him this morning. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this from the local media.

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:20 pm 
All-Conference

xbear83 wrote:
For those who haven’t heard, Oliver Luck has been named executive director of the new ASUN WAC football league. A very high profile name for the new league. National media was able to schedule phone interviews with him this morning. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this from the local media.

Saw the story on-line, but nothing from the locals.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:32 pm 
All-Conference

Heard a podcast yesterday with the Tarleton State President and he stated that one of Oliver Luck’s first responsibilities is to audit each ASUN WAC school and identify what needs to be improved to facilitate a move to FBS.
The Tarleton President said the stated conference target was to be ready to go to the FBS by July 1, 2025.
Finally, Oliver Luck had previously been working with Tarleton on an individual basis to prepare them to go FBS and the league/university presidents just expanded Luck’s responsibilities to the entire conference.

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:39 am 
UserName Retired

A former co-worker told me when her child was recruited to Tarleton as an athlete about 6-7 years ago the pitch included their plan to move to FBS....sold like a long term vision at play here in their case....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:02 pm 
All-Conference

I love UCA football. I've been onboard since 2004 (18 years). No, I did not get to attend college, but The Armed Forces of the United States decided to educate me. If you got to attend college then you have a gift from God. College is a privilege. Not a constitutional right. I don't see huge crowds at the UCA football games. If we are going to move to the FBS then this community needs to support this team. I don't see the fan base for FBS. I am being factual. Not negative. Paint the town purple needs to be brought back on a bigger scale. It makes me sick when businesses have a razorback schedule posted and not a UCA Bear schedule. UCA needs to have high school bands sittting with the BMB and allowed to perform on the field as well. Why? Parents will show up to see the student play. That will boost attendance. We need to have some Bears going to the schools reading to the students and eating lunch with them. I have told powers to be about this twice but as always it falls on deaf ears. this is my thoughts of the day. Go Bears

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:41 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Papa...I understand your frustration.

When your own alumni base won't support you, I find it hard to believe that
a move to FBS will have much effect on attendance. The stadium doesn't
come close to minimum attendance requirements. Looks like a long road
ahead....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:34 pm 
Team Captain

If Oliver Luck is auditing ASUN/WAC budgets and facilities as mentioned earlier in this thread and here https://sportsradio977.com/wac-asun-goa ... s-by-2025/ why aren’t we announcing capital campaign to get out ahead of fundraising for any identified deficiencies? I know the university as a whole has a large capital campaign running, but I don’t believe it’s earmarked for facilities upgrades.

By the time he finishes with the audit it won’t leave much time for fundraising, permits, architectural designs, or the actual improvements. Perhaps I’m out of the loop but have we taken concrete steps on any of these items as it pertains to Estes or Farris center upgrades?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:48 pm 
All-Conference

FOOT84 wrote:
Papa...I understand your frustration.

When your own alumni base won't support you, I find it hard to believe that
a move to FBS will have much effect on attendance. The stadium doesn't
come close to minimum attendance requirements. Looks like a long road
ahead....

With so many changes in FBS being discussed, I understand that one of the proposed changes would be doing away with the minimum attendance requirement.

Honestly, there is no telling what the new FBS will look like when all is done.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:01 pm 
All-Conference

1868Alumni wrote:
If Oliver Luck is auditing ASUN/WAC budgets and facilities as mentioned earlier in this thread and here https://sportsradio977.com/wac-asun-goa ... s-by-2025/ why aren’t we announcing capital campaign to get out ahead of fundraising for any identified deficiencies? I know the university as a whole has a large capital campaign running, but I don’t believe it’s earmarked for facilities upgrades.

By the time he finishes with the audit it won’t leave much time for fundraising, permits, architectural designs, or the actual improvements. Perhaps I’m out of the loop but have we taken concrete steps on any of these items as it pertains to Estes or Farris center upgrades?

I am not as close to things at the school anymore, but I can say there has been no talk publicly about upgrades to the stadium or the Farris Center.

As a general rule Teague keeps stuff like that close to the vest.

We all know that the stadium will need some attention. Heck, the Farris Center is now in its 50th year and will need to be replaced or renovated.

At the end of the day, all it takes is money and a lot of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:08 am 
Team Captain

Beau wrote:
1868Alumni wrote:

I am not as close to things at the school anymore, but I can say there has been no talk publicly about upgrades to the stadium or the Farris Center.

We all know that the stadium will need some attention. Heck, the Farris Center is now in its 50th year and will need to be replaced or renovated.

I’m not trying to be negative or pessimistic, and I do recall a decade ago looking at a ten year plan that had a new basketball gym located at the corner of Dave Ward and Farris (kind of across from Andy’s Frozen Custard). Just haven’t heard anything in years, and yes it takes a lot of $$$, but isn’t that why you put it out there in the public domain so you can start raising it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:13 am 
All-Conference

1868Alumni wrote:
Beau wrote:
1868Alumni wrote:

I’m not trying to be negative or pessimistic, and I do recall a decade ago looking at a ten year plan that had a new basketball gym located at the corner of Dave Ward and Farris (kind of across from Andy’s Frozen Custard). Just haven’t heard anything in years, and yes it takes a lot of $$$, but isn’t that why you put it out there in the public domain so you can start raising it?

Oh, your not being negative, you are somewhat correct. Back during the Lou Hardin years, UCA try to get a hotel on that part of the campus. I believe they were trying for a Hilton Garden Inn. Anyway, it was discussed about constructing a new basketball arena there and connect it to the hotel, but like so many things , it all fell through.

Despite it being located away from the main part of the campus, I do think that would be a good location for a new facility.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:14 am 
UserName Retired

Just for comparison.....Phog Allen Fieldhouse at Kansas opened in 1955 and Gallagher-Iba Arena at Ok State in 1938 (ironically the Pokes beat the Jayhawks in the first game)...both have been upgraded over the years but not replaced. I think the same hardwood floor is still in place at Stillwater.....a long-time friend is a season ticket holder at The Phog and used to say it may not be the best arena (although probably the most loved by the fans) but has the best basketball...I saw a wrestling match at GIA in the mid 70s ...I think it was the Bedlam Match vs OU and it was awesome...

I think I have been at two (maybe both) sellouts or very near) at Farris Center and it was rocking...it was every bit as intimidating as The Barn ever was or as Bud Walton (been to both at sellouts)...

The Farris Center appears to be in good physical condition structurally but can certainly use some updating....I would think a sports arena architect could come up with some interesting design upgrades....

I was at every home game played in the in the Old Gym when I was at UCA and it could clearly be a loud place.....glad we did not knock it down for now we have a very nice dedicated volleyball court..

I recall when President Hardin wanted to have a Hilton Garden Inn built on the Dave Ward site.....part of that land, at least at the time, was restricted use for a nature preserve.....the softball, track and soccer fields are in that general area now.....

Whatever is done for basketball...and it has been since the early 70s the Farris Center opened.....some very modest upgrades made since then.....

We are not Kansas ...or even OSU...in basketball but we have put 3000+ at times in Farris in recent years....WE need to do that more and the players (and recruits) will be greatly impressed... St Mary's College (small Catholic school near San Fran) plays very high-level basketball (such as vs Gonzaga) in a 3500-seat arena that looks like a jazzed up high school gym and very often has a SRO crowd...looks like it was built in 1977 and upgraded restrooms and concessions in 2014...

Whatever gets done will take money and lots of it....do not count on State to put much if anything into an athletic facility...

I suspect we know pretty much what is needed at Estes Stadium for FBS.....lots more seating.....lots more money.....

...and significant upgrades of concessions at both places.....