It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: practice
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:55 pm 
2nd Team

I know stats seem important but these scrimmages aren't really full games so stats are sort of arbitrary. What they call scrimmages are pretty much just situational sessions. Starters v starters in red zone, goal line, backed up, open field, 2 minute, etc. and then you repeat the session with the 2's and then the 3's and then move on to the next situation. Stats don't tell any of the story in that sense. Hale's two longer runs were roughly 25 and 80 respectively, but he only ran about 30 yards on the longer run because they blow the whistle before he has a chance to run that far and get tackled from behind and end up with a concussion or get to top out speed and pull a hammy like last year. The only stat that might be worth reporting is completion pct from your QB but even then it's misleading when you aren't in a true game flow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:17 pm 
2nd Team

Yeah I don’t really look at any of that stuff in terms of stats from a scrimmage. Sometimes 2’s run with 1’s and 3’s with 2’s. Hard to know from scrimmages. They can be trying out different personnel. What works for 3’s probably doesn’t work with 1’s.

That and any practice with known eyes on before the first game I’m sure isn’t going to be out of Coach Klein’s green playbook.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:33 am 
Two-Time All-American

BearOnCampus wrote:
I know stats seem important but these scrimmages aren't really full games so stats are sort of arbitrary. What they call scrimmages are pretty much just situational sessions. Starters v starters in red zone, goal line, backed up, open field, 2 minute, etc. and then you repeat the session with the 2's and then the 3's and then move on to the next situation. Stats don't tell any of the story in that sense. Hale's two longer runs were roughly 25 and 80 respectively, but he only ran about 30 yards on the longer run because they blow the whistle before he has a chance to run that far and get tackled from behind and end up with a concussion or get to top out speed and pull a hammy like last year. The only stat that might be worth reporting is completion pct from your QB but even then it's misleading when you aren't in a true game flow.

I agree…the stats are in reality not that important for a controlled scrimmage.
I guess my only real issue is the lack of information available on the program.
As a former Bear I have a vested interest in the program and would very much
like for it not to be such a big secret. I live 2 hours away from Conway and I
can’t just drop by practice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:41 am 
All-Conference

FOOT84 wrote:
BearOnCampus wrote:

Stats in 2023 are essential for all types of programs. D1 schools should never have an issue reporting stats. Most D2 schools do a great job as well. When you get to D3, then you start seeing some drop off. Depending on the school you will have some dedicated staff members or possibly just one SID with some student assistants. NAIA & NCCAA seem to struggle with getting any consistant numbers on their personal sites and focus on just posting to the national website.

Schools would be suprised how much this affects recuriting. When a QB is looking to transfer, sometimes he might go into a schools stats from the previous year to see if there is room he could improve that school's season.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:56 pm 
2nd Team

Mulerider wrote:
FOOT84 wrote:
BearOnCampus wrote:

Stats in 2023 are essential for all types of programs. D1 schools should never have an issue reporting stats. Most D2 schools do a great job as well. When you get to D3, then you start seeing some drop off. Depending on the school you will have some dedicated staff members or possibly just one SID with some student assistants. NAIA & NCCAA seem to struggle with getting any consistant numbers on their personal sites and focus on just posting to the national website.

Schools would be suprised how much this affects recuriting. When a QB is looking to transfer, sometimes he might go into a schools stats from the previous year to see if there is room he could improve that school's season.

Not practice/scrimmage stats lol