It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Oklahoma State
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:23 pm 
2nd Team

A couple thoughts. I think the bears put the whole FCS on notice. This team has some studs. The blind side block called looked atrocious and was a big early momentum swing. OSU knew Wilson was out and took advantage of it. After looking at the Texas college score they may not show up next week in Conway.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:31 am 
All-Conference

The talent on the roster is obvious. Only outgained by 60ish yards was a testiment to stuffing the running game between the tackles a lot and create holes at times for our backs, but the same ole same ole problems are there. It's not difficult to block for field goals and 80 yards in penalties is way to much. the blindside block was pretty iffy, but the fact remains. Nathan Brown's teams are simply not very disciplined.

Ok St. ran a scripted offense for the entire game. I don't know whether or not that matters, but I don't think it wise to start planning on playoff tickets just yet. We will be able to out talent a lot of teams, but we're not going to out gun NDSU, SEMO, Tartleton St., and EKU. Those games will demand clean, low mistake efforts. I hope we can clean it up, but history makes me skeptical.

Go Bears.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:24 pm 
2nd Team

huggy_bear wrote:
The talent on the roster is obvious. Only outgained by 60ish yards was a testiment to stuffing the running game between the tackles a lot and create holes at times for our backs, but the same ole same ole problems are there. It's not difficult to block for field goals and 80 yards in penalties is way to much. the blindside block was pretty iffy, but the fact remains. Nathan Brown's teams are simply not very disciplined.

Ok St. ran a scripted offense for the entire game. I don't know whether or not that matters, but I don't think it wise to start planning on playoff tickets just yet. We will be able to out talent a lot of teams, but we're not going to out gun NDSU, SEMO, Tartleton St., and EKU. Those games will demand clean, low mistake efforts. I hope we can clean it up, but history makes me skeptical.

Go Bears.

What makes you say they ran a scripted offense?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:04 pm 
All-Conference

Mike Gundy’s postgame press conference

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:10 pm 
2nd Team

He also said in that presser that they had to throw a lot more than they wanted because they UCA plugged the holes...so at some point they were off script lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:31 pm 
All-Conference

Been watching news media closely since the game. Not impressed with how much coverage the local news media gave the Bears. They are all still Hog brainwashed. Very un-impressed with all of them. KATV gave one good shout out. Obviously, I can't watch all of them at once. Watched Gundy's post-game. He wasn`t very complimentary of the Bears. Probably a bit butt-hurt that an FCS team competed and pushed them. Typical statements on what they had to work on. He said we had a couple of little "nifty guys" that were hard to tackle. Said we had a good punter.

The state media needs to do a better job covering the Bears, not because they are my favorite football team, but because they deserve it!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:51 pm 
2nd Team

UCAFaninTN wrote:
Been watching news media closely since the game. Not impressed with how much coverage the local news media gave the Bears. They are all still Hog brainwashed. Very un-impressed with all of them. KATV gave one good shout out. Obviously, I can't watch all of them at once. Watched Gundy's post-game. He wasn`t very complimentary of the Bears. Probably a bit butt-hurt that an FCS team competed and pushed them. Typical statements on what they had to work on. He said we had a couple of little "nifty guys" that were hard to tackle. Said we had a good punter.

The state media needs to do a better job covering the Bears, not because they are my favorite football team, but because they deserve it!!!!!!!!!!!!

No doubt. They're too concerned with complaining about War Memorial Stadium's effort to host the razorbacks instead of covering what was a really good college football game in Stillwater. Bears are flying under the radar. So be it. Let's win a lot of games this year and people will take notice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:55 pm 
2nd Team

What impressed me was our size especially on defense. And I agree local tv needs to wake up on what may happen this year in Conway. IMO we were the 2nd best team in the state Saturday and not as far behind big red by as much as many of their fans would want to believe. Could that fall apart, 100% yes and it happens to teams every year. Missouri State last year. They started out so strong and finished 5-6. I’ve been watching the bears for quite a few years. Followed the Hogs my entire life. Disappointment needless to say is something I’ve gotten use to. That being said this team is loaded at a lot of positions as much as any team I’ve ever seen here in Conway. We weren’t just getting pushed around. Both teams won battles at different positions. I’d argue that at least one of those touchdowns doesn’t happen for OSU if Wilson was still in the game. Gundy is saving face because in the end ticket sales matter. He has to come up with excuses. They will win this week because Arizona State is in trouble. Then they will sellout their next home game. Instead of folks saying man that’s a talented FCS team people are quick to say OSU is down this year or they weren’t really trying. Who is to say we threw the book at them? If you haven’t seen Deion’s son talk about the difference between fbs and fcs you should take a look. Interesting take from someone who has played both.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:03 pm 
All-Conference

BearOnCampus wrote:
He also said in that presser that they had to throw a lot more than they wanted because they UCA plugged the holes...so at some point they were off script lol

They also threw more with the three QBs they rotated in as planned.

You simply can't take a whole lot away other than we have talent on the roster. Which is what I stated was obvious. Scheme, strategy & in game decisions have not been good under Nathan Brown. Discipline has always lacked. Until that improves, expectations shouldn't be raised too high.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:17 pm 
UserName Retired

Pokes got thrashed by South Alabama on their home field by an embarrassing 33-7...

OSU has no offense.....USA held them to 16/25 passing for 114 yds (still using 3 QBs)...and to 94 yds rush on 29 carries....

Seems to say we allowed a team with no offense to score 27 on us....we stutter on offense at times with careless false starts and holds but we have a proven QB and very good RBs....our defense gives up 27 to OSU and now we understand that we should have expected NDSU to pile up the points....admittedly NDSU is a better team on both sides than OSU and we simply could not stop the Bison offense in H1 whether they ran or threw....defense needs to have some soul searching this week....just as offense needs to shore up o-line from injuries....also let's make better use of all our RBs...who would you defend if Powell, James and Hales were all in the lineup together? We should be able to pressure defenses better and open up passing lanes for Barnes and Richmond....