It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SE Missouri
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:22 pm 
UserName Retired

Sagarin had Bears by 5-6 and I heard the betting line was 5.5...hard way to get there but final margin was 5....

Defense lack of discipline is a big problem with personal fouls....seems like we 5.....that is more yards of penalties than SEMO had for the game....I believe I would have some heavy line drill work tomorrow for anyone with a personal foul call....at least they played the last 4 series pretty clean....

The "victory dance" at end of Q3 did not go unnoticed....

Given this is three games in a row that SEMO lost a big lead late to lose it seems maybe they have a conditioning issue....especially on defense....our offense the last 4-5 possessions ran them in circles....credit o-line for giving McElvain time to throw even though there was lots of pressure by SEMO....credit McElvain for the poise to avoid the rush and make mostly excellent throws....glad to see him take a couple key QB runs in H2 as I think SEMO had to pull a LB back some off the blitz....credit the playmakers ....Butler, Richmond, Barnes and, who else but, James....for getting open, breaking tackles and getting to the endzone....credit the place kick team for 2/2 PATs and 2/2 FGs and 8 points...the margin of victory..

SEMO certainly had Powell in their sights and did a very good job on him....did we ever have Hale or James as a twin RB with Powell to give SEMO something to guess about? Is Hale banged up? He played some but not much....

DeLaurent, Hess, Vick and Flournoy are everything we knew they would be...still not sure how we shut them down in Q4 but some questionable play calls helped us out....they had a chance on the last drive to run time off cock or make us use last TO but instead they threw an incomplete pass....seems high risk clock management ....

Glad we finally came to life on both sides of LOS to pull this out....hope they do not think they can do this every week.....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:47 pm 
UserName Retired

https://semoredhawks.com/news/2023/10/7/football-redhawks-let-big-lead-slip-away-in-38-33-loss-to-23-central-arkansas.aspx

Pretty sober game recap on SEMO website....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:49 pm 
UserName Retired

Fans elsewhere have frustrations as well.....#17 Miami playing at home tonight fought back from trailing Georgia Tech 10-17 to take what looked like the winning lead at 20-17 and escape...then instead of taking a knee with 33 ticks left they ran a running play, fumbled and GT covered.....still OK as the recovery was at GT26....then GT hit a 30 yard completion (prevent defense no doubt) to UM 44 then hit a 44 yd hail Mary TD pass to give GT a 23-20 lead with 1 second left.....never give up.....the other team may do something dumb...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:26 pm 
2nd Team

JRK wrote:
Fans elsewhere have frustrations as well.....#17 Miami playing at home tonight fought back from trailing Georgia Tech 10-17 to take what looked like the winning lead at 20-17 and escape...then instead of taking a knee with 33 ticks left they ran a running play, fumbled and GT covered.....still OK as the recovery was at GT26....then GT hit a 30 yard completion (prevent defense no doubt) to UM 44 then hit a 44 yd hail Mary TD pass to give GT a 23-20 lead with 1 second left.....never give up.....the other team may do something dumb...

I was reading semo’s posts last night after the game. They looked a lot like ours did in the 3rd qtr. :D Back to what I was saying earlier. We have a solid team and a student section that looks worse than some local high school’s student sections. The kids are there, but they aren’t in the stadium. Not sure what the answer is, but there has to be a way. I remember a few years ago it was packed.

I’m still not sure also why we didn’t have fireworks. I saw the message on the big screen about permits, but I’ve seen them at local high schools in Faulkner county the last two weeks. These games have been scheduled for a long time. That would have been a great atmosphere last night to light up Conway at the end of the game.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:45 pm 
UserName Retired

The students aren't there because Athletics doesn't advertise ON CAMPUS where the students are congregating during the week. I personally saw a black and white sheet of paper that listed each athletic event posted in the student center. No pictures. No color. B&W with 10 events typed out like in the 1920s. It looked like an afterthought. Like it was something they HAD to put up so they put as little effort into it as possible.
Sure we do stuff on social media but nothing IN THEIR FACE while thousands of them are on campus. Sure social media is good, but so is the old fashioned poster stuck up everywhere on campus. In multiple spots with high traffic. SHOW the students they have something to enjoy on Saturday. Don't bury it in a effortless list hand tacked on a board.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:57 pm 
2nd Team

BearCountry wrote:
The students aren't there because Athletics doesn't advertise ON CAMPUS where the students are congregating during the week. I personally saw a black and white sheet of paper that listed each athletic event posted in the student center. No pictures. No color. B&W with 10 events typed out like in the 1920s. It looked like an afterthought. Like it was something they HAD to put up so they put as little effort into it as possible.
Sure we do stuff on social media but nothing IN THEIR FACE while thousands of them are on campus. Sure social media is good, but so is the old fashioned poster stuck up everywhere on campus. In multiple spots with high traffic. SHOW the students they have something to enjoy on Saturday. Don't bury it in a effortless list hand tacked on a board.

They can like it or not, but football pays the bills. It’s ok to show some preferential treatment. This is an opportunity to gain fans we haven’t had before. We have to find a way to get them in the stands.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:10 pm 
UserName Retired

Not sure why fireworks were discontinued but I know UCA has had many complaints over the years from the nearby neighborhoods as to the loud noise scaring pets and disturbing elderly.

Students...go figure...maybe a new tik tok video got them distracted...too bad we cannot put a keg of beer up to the greek organization with the most members at the game...maybe some funny smokes these days instead of beer....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:49 pm 
All-Conference

JRK wrote:
Not sure why fireworks were discontinued but I know UCA has had many complaints over the years from the nearby neighborhoods as to the loud noise scaring pets and disturbing elderly.

Students...go figure...maybe a new tik tok video got them distracted...too bad we cannot put a keg of beer up to the greek organization with the most members at the game...maybe some funny smokes these days instead of beer....

Is UCA considered a suitcase school where a bunch of kids go home or somewhere on the weekends? When I went to SAU, a ton (if not majority) left campus on the weekends. If they are, it will be tough in general to change that mentalitiy. Conway has a ton of stuff to do or are very close within a drive to Little Rock or Buffalo River area.

If they aren't then UCA needs to step up and offer more resources to making the game day experience better for fans/students. No reason as Conway grows to have less and less show up at football games.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:41 pm 
UserName Retired

That's a good question......clearly when I was a student UCA was known as a suitcase school and we still have a good size group commuters but there are also MANY more off campus housing options than in years past...given we get lots of students from the large schools in central Arkansas areas that have great football it is odd we do not fill up the student section.....we have a large band and LOTS of cheer and dance....why are the greeks not there in large numbers? Are they just coming to tailgates then milling around outside and then wander off? I know my frat has a large tent at games that is packed with people pre-game...

No doubt that with our alumni base and the population of Faulkner County we should have no trouble having 10,000+ per game.....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:16 am 
2nd Team

JRK wrote:

Yeah I don’t doubt it and I’m sure they get complaints like most schools do. I always want to ask those same folks who they call when a massive thunderstorm goes over their house several times a year. To me I know the young fans like it. Creates a festive atmosphere.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:31 pm 
Redshirt

It's because athletics doesn't advertise. They desperately want word of mouth and social media to be what brings people in.

I had seen a post about no fireworks due to a burn ban, but IDK.

The Greeks only come into the game in small amounts or for homecoming, then they bail after halftime.