about it or after 6 games they probably would have corrected
the issue. Most likely it will cost them a game or
2 down the road.

Nice to be 2-0 in the UAC
Playoffs still within reach.

Post subject: Re: Penalties
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:29 pm 
UserName Retired

I assume one of the "points of emphasis" for football officials this season from NCAA is anything where a QB is hit above the numbers and "disconcerting" signals from defense....ie, clapping that can confuse the offense...

I doubt I have ever seen a "disconcerting" call in person in all my years but I listened to the Mizzou/LSU game on my drive down and and the Georgia/Kentucky game on my after game drive and must have heard a half dozen disconcerting calls made. We may have had one ourselves but I could not hear the official well. I recall that Acri mentioned a couple times at the SUU game that our o-linemen complaining to officials about NOT calling the penalty on SUU...maybe that crew did not get the memo...

The targeting and personal foul call on our defender occurred very near me and I first thought the defender hit the receiver pads to pads from my angle and the replay even looked like the defender missed the receiver......would need to see it in slow mo....targeting is a rule needing rethinking....it seems it started out as "helmet to helmet" which is pretty objective....now I hear it as "defenseless receiver (runner, etc)"...which is highly subjective.....my understanding is that many officials call targeting as they know it will be reviewed and if it was not targeting then replay will overturn...that may work in an P5 game with cameras from MANY angles are readily available because of all the TV coverage but a lot of other games may have a couple of cameras to catch the play but not enough angles to really tell....thus a no-call becomes an ineligible player....but the officials gets credits from NCAA for watching out for players safety....

By the way....UCA stats shows Bears thru first 6 games with 56-522 yards (87 per game) vs opponents 33-296 (49 per game).....North Dakota State has thru 5 games 34-328 (65 per game).....our issue seems to be on defense with personal fouls.....admittedly we play pretty aggressive defense on the edge but we have seen too many reckless hits on QBs and ball carriers plus "push offs" after the play where we fall prey to being the 2nd who pushed and are the one seen....