It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Promotion for UCA Athletics-We need a change
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:58 am 
All-Conference

I did some research and it seems Sports Info & Promtions fall under the following people mainly (feel free to correct me).

Steve East-Associate AD for Media Relations (FB, MBB, BSB)

https://ucasports.com/staff-directory/steve-east/14

This guys seems to be a long term employee and a statesman for UCA. Reguardless of his performance, not sure they will get rid of him untill his retirement comes. Not sure he is fresh on all things Sports Info related.

RYAN THIELE-TITLE Asst. Director of Media Relations (MSOC, WSOC, WBB, SB, M&W Golf, STUNT)

https://ucasports.com/staff-directory/ryan-thiele/1373

Don't know much on this guy as their isn't much about his history on the website.

Kristen Oitker-Director of Marketing and Promotions

https://ucasports.com/staff-directory/k ... oitker/350

Do we know anything about her? Similar story with Ryan Thiele. I bet she has installed some good things during her time with UCA, but at the same time, is she related to someone at UCA in admin?

Post subject: Re: Promotion for UCA Athletics-We need a change
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:44 pm 
Two-Time All-American

When you own Alumni base
won’t support you…current students
won’t go to the game and just your
average football fan won’t come to
the game I’m not sure any of these
guys can make an impact.

We have hashed this out numerous times.
State media doesn’t cover the Bears.
It’s all about the Pigs and the money that goes
with being in the SEC. Even though they ride
the coattails of the big dogs of the conference.

There is absolutely no reason that a town the
size of Conway can’t support the program in a
big way… It should be a sellout at every home
game… but it’s not even close.

The Bears are considered small time and that
is the way it is. It’s just another sad representation
of the way people are these days. No respect,
no loyalty, they just don’t care.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:22 pm 
UserName Retired

Over the years I have come to a conclusion that the state actually has very few football and sports fans...at least as compared to a population of over 3 million...the percent has to be very small small. Lots of people wear Hog stuff and probably cannot name 2 players. ..and certainly not 2 players from the opposing team. Therefore, you have to work your alumni well because there are just not that many people sitting at games on the Hill that are ever going to go to a game at UCA or A-State...they are Hog fans, not football fans....nothing wrong with that...

We do have a group of diehard fans like most schools in the state...I
wonder how many of our fans could tell you anything about the team we are playing on a given night....

I still believe we can put 12,000+ in the stadium for every Bears game with more development...not marketing or advertising but development....Frank Broyles built a huge fan base at UAF (remember the state had half the population then) and probably spent half his time out of season going to every county and speaking to local civic and community groups and every high school coach admired him (well maybe a few knew and favored Bear Bryant, Charlie McClendon at LSU and Red Parker but they were a minority)..I went to some of those and he spoke about the game as well as his team .....of course, Frank's north Georgia drawl and him being a terrific speaker helped...my father had been a lifelong Vols fan until he met Frank .....I'm pretty sure when he started there were times there were six guys sitting in a cafe talking football....

I am not saying Nate should imitate Frank but we have alums everywhere around the state that when I meet them I generally hear something like...I loved my days at UCA (or ASTC or SCA), UCA is a really good university but the only time I ever hear from them is for a donation.....I think the Foundation has worked hard over the past 15 or so years to develop more personal connections and not just letters asking for money....in 2006 the Foundation had $3 million and since then has developed well over $100 million.....these people may love UCA and give money but are not sports fans.....

There are certainly football fans in Arkansas and no small portion of them may be high school ball players who are not playing at the college level maybe due to size or speed....still they love the game....need to connect with them somehow....there are way more of them than their team mates who play college ball.....

On the other hand, I understand Purple Circle keeps growing in numbers as well as dollars....

Got to keep working on it or the other choice is just give up.....not going to do that....Can we get a list of 20 practical ideas to get to the AD's office? Anyone up to getting some face time with President Davis to express concerns?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:41 am 
All-Conference

the students not coming to the games is absurd. that's not hard to do.

however, i really don't see any difference with UCA vs the other teams in the conference and pretty much everyone else in the FCS outside of a handful of teams in the upper midwest.

a good way to improve the stature of UCA is get the basketball program competing for NCAA bids. high tides lift all boats

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:29 pm 
UserName Retired

The tailgating restrictions are ridiculous. Ask McNeese how they do it.

The lack of advertising of big events is embarrassing. Need $ for that. Then take the initiative and go raise funds.

But PLEASE advertise ON CAMPUS TO the students. That's FREE.

If Admissions said to the president that they just can't get new students because UCA is a small school I know for a fact that there would be a new staff the next week.

I believe I posted a long list of things that could be done for free that would draw the crowds but it was ignored by the athletic staff. I know they read this. It's the only site for the Bears and Sugar Bears.

I'm betting though that nothing is gonna change.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:25 pm 
2nd Team

I think the fraternity tailgating section outside the fence is a miss. None of them are engaged in the game. I don’t expect them to stay the entire game, but at least stay in the stands the first half. Need a good energetic student section leader. Make it fun. Maybe make some sorta incentive for fraternities and sororities to be in the student section. It is the worst I’ve ever seen it. I’ll go on to say it is the worst student section I’ve seen in any of the UAC games on tv. #20 team in the country and basically an empty student section. UCA has done better in the past. Need to figure out how to fix it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:23 am 
Starter

https://www.lrtouchdown.com/
The Little Rock Touchdown Club, founded in 2004, has grown rapidly to become one of the nation's largest football clubs, boasting over 500 members. They hold weekly meetings at the DoubleTree Hotel in downtown Little Rock during the football season. The club hosts an annual awards banquet, recognizing the Most Valuable Player from each Arkansas college football team, as well as honoring Coaches and Players of the Year from various high school classifications. Notably, they also bestow awards upon a National Collegiate Player of the Year, SEC Defensive and Offensive Players of the Year, and SEC Coach of the Year

https://www.lrtouchdown.com/reservations.php

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:25 pm 
UserName Retired

Little Rock Touchdown Club is one of the very top tier college football groups of its type....always great speaker lineup...thanks to David Bazzell and staff for putting this together...and yes, Coach Brown is next up......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:23 pm 
Starter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr00dLX ... chdownClub

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:07 pm 
Team Captain

Nathan totally nailed it today.I'm interested the Clinton back

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:46 pm 
UserName Retired

Excellent job......I would bet if Nate could talk to the student body for 15 minutes we could have 15,000 at the next game....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:11 am 
All-Conference

He really did a great job. David needs to make his way to some of those games (Bet he won't though. I'm sure a U of A employee wouldn't like it.) Now Nathan needs to do regular pep talks with the students and fans to come to more games. Honestly, I think Nathan needs to find someone that shares his vision for athletic department promotion. UCA Football Twitter page seems to be much better than our other outlets.