It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: EKU
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:43 pm 
Practice Squad

This team better have a reality check this week. This will HAVE to be the game that they put on for all 4 quarters. If not, get ready for offseason workouts to start the following week.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:39 pm 
2nd Team

1868Alumni wrote:
JRK wrote:
Last play was #4 on ESPN Top 10 plays of the day.....great pic of the Stripes, McElvain and two shots of the throw, tip, catch and score....McElvain and Barnes got some nice coverage....

#4 on ESPN you say? Strange no mention of it on KARK (https://www.kark.com) or KATV (https://katv.com/sports). You wouldn’t even know we had a game looking at those two local “news” sources.

This has driven me crazy for years. They should have someone at every single home game. I get the Razorback red bias stuff, but most states aren’t that way. Hard to gain fans when local media doesn’t show up. However I must add that I was recently told told that some media sources are not given sideline passes when asking for them. Not sure what that’s about. We need every media source we can there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:15 pm 
Redshirt

I did see some news camera there. Someone posted their angle of the hail marry on Twitter. Don’t remember the name though. But agree local news is brutal with their lack of coverage.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:58 pm 
Redshirt

Official statement from the UAC:

The United Athletic Conference has determined that during the fourth quarter of the
November WIth football contest between Eastern Kentucky University and the
University of Central Arkansas, an inadvertent error in clock operation occurred.
With : 19 remaining, the game clock was not started and stopped correctly on the
first play of the final drive. Therefore, the subsequent play resumed with:17
remaining.
The On-Field and Replay Came Officials failed to detect the error and adjust the
game clock accordingly prior to the next play.
The UAC is committed to providing accurate and efficient officiating outcomes for
all contests. This matter has been addressed with all parties involved internally.
The On-Field and Replay Came Officials are evaluated each play on an ongoing basis.
Those evaluations determine regular season and post-season officiating
assignments. The UAC will continue to evaluate and improve UAC Football
Officiating.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:14 pm 
2nd Team

Newbearfan wrote:
I did see some news camera there. Someone posted their angle of the hail marry on Twitter. Don’t remember the name though. But agree local news is brutal with their lack of coverage.

I know we have a couple guys on staff who film stuff. They do some highlight videos. I would just like to see a kark or Katv van parked outside the entrance of the stadium. Maybe they can strike up some sort of agreement with one of the stations.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:18 pm 
Team Captain

Newbearfan wrote:

The United Athletic Conference has determined that during the fourth quarter of the
University of Central Arkansas, an inadvertent error in clock operation occurred.
With : 19 remaining, the game clock was not started and stopped correctly on the
remaining.
The On-Field and Replay Came Officials failed to detect the error and adjust the
The UAC is committed to providing accurate and efficient officiating outcomes for
all contests. This matter has been addressed with all parties involved internally.
The On-Field and Replay Came Officials are evaluated each play on an ongoing basis.
Officiating.

I saw that. So what SHOULD have happened? If I’m reading that correctly more time should have run off after our first pass?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:30 pm 
Redshirt

From looking at ESPN I’d assume another 4 or 5 seconds should’ve been gone. Although the ESPN clock isn’t official no matter what anyone says. Idk how it looked on the board though. My 2 cents is we didn’t gain any yards so all it would’ve done is make us run the Hail Mary a play earlier but who knows what would’ve happened. And also the referees were correcting the clock operator all night long. They could’ve have just as easy fixed to what it should’ve been.

philgood80 wrote:
Newbearfan wrote:

remaining.
Officiating.

I saw that. So what SHOULD have happened? If I’m reading that correctly more time should have run off after our first pass?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:49 pm 
Team Captain

Newbearfan wrote:
From looking at ESPN I’d assume another 4 or 5 seconds should’ve been gone. Although the ESPN clock isn’t official no matter what anyone says. Idk how it looked on the board though. My 2 cents is we didn’t gain any yards so all it would’ve done is make us run the Hail Mary a play earlier but who knows what would’ve happened. And also the referees were correcting the clock operator all night long. They could’ve have just as easy fixed to what it should’ve been.

philgood80 wrote:
Newbearfan wrote:

remaining.
Officiating.

That’s about what I figured. So if 4 seconds run off we still snap the final play with :01 on the clock. Of course it might change the chain of events. We shouldn’t have been in that spot to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:31 pm 
UserName Retired

I am confused with the UAC verbiage.....ie, the "game clock".....my understanding is that the official time is kept by one of the on field officials...maybe that is the "game clock"..

I have never thought (well maybe in grade school football) the scoreboard clock would be official....also, what is the ESPN clock one of the commenter below references? I'll try to ask my college football official friend next time we are together.

The scoreboard play clock stopped working sometime during the game and one of the officials looked to be calling out the time to go so the offense would know how much time was left to get off the play....that sounds scientific!

This a topic (ie, game clock management) that I would like to know more about just to better understand how time is kept in football.

By the way, did EKU ask for an official review at the time? One of the jobs of coaches in the press box is to watch for this type stuff...

The bottom line is that the official call is made by the chief official on the field except for official reviews. Unfortunate things happen in sports officiating and the losing team is not happy.