It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To Close The Regular Season
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:07 pm 
Redshirt

Basically a win against EKU and Austin Peay is needed to make the playoffs for sure. Because as it stands now, there is still a possibility for a 3-way tie (actually two different scenarios).

First would be if EKU beats us and SFA the following week and Austin Peay losses its last two games (which would include a loss to us next week). That would be all three of us tied with 2 conference losses and playing out the Spiderman meme (all the Spiderman's pointing at each other) in that we all would have beaten one or the other. EKU would have beaten us. We would have beaten Austin Peay. And Austin Peay would have beaten EKU.

Second would be if we beat EKU giving them a second conference loss but they beat SFA the following week and Austin Peay losses this week and to us next week. We would again all have 2 conference losses. In that scenario I "think" it's clear that we would get the UAC championship title as we would have beaten both EKU and Austin Peay. And with that the automatic playoff bid.

It's shaping up that all signs are pointing to it most likely being a one conference loss only team to win the UAC. Not surprised in the least. This is a tough conference. And that's not even mentioning what about if Southern Utah wins out and only has two conference losses as well as the scenario I presented with us, EKU, and Austin Peay possibly ending up with 2 conference losses as well. LOL!!!! That would be hilarious. Four teams all 4-2 in conference having beat each other (actually Southern Utah didn't even play EKU this year but did lose to Austin Peay). I hope the bylaws are written well enough to figure out who gets the UAC Champion title. Oh, and imagine if Tarleton St. was eligible for post season play and UAC title. Could be 5 teams finishing the season at 4-2.

So all that to say.....we just need to win out and forgo all the possibilities and going to the bylaws in depth. We win out, and we'll have tiebreakers over Southern Utah, EKU, and Austin Peay. It's that simple. We win UAC and get into the playoffs with the autobid no questions asked. And if we somehow don't win out but get one of the next two, but don't get the autobid on a tiebreaker (ending the season 7-4), bye bye playoffs. UAPB pulling out and leaving us stuck scheduling NAIA Texas College instead, really put us in a situation where from the start of the season we would likely need to win the conference to make the playoffs (that Tarleton St. loss really hurt our chances of getting an at-large bid). 7-4 with only 6 D1 wins isn't gonna impress the committee enough.

I'll be at the game Saturday and cheering them Bears on to do my part in supporting the best D1 football program in the state (excessive penalties and all). GO BEARS!!! FEAR THE STRIPES!!!! BEAR CLAWS UP!!!!!!