over and above what the scholarship
pays. That’s $3,240,000.00
I was shocked to hear that.
I just wonder what the big programs
are shelling out ?

Post subject: Re: NIL
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:02 pm 
UserName Retired

Good for them! From my sources some big programs aren't even doing that for every player. Star players get big bucks while all the others don't get much, if anything. I hope the NCAA evens out the $ field.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:12 pm 
UserName Retired

So, what is NIL money for? I thought the UCLA court case that led to all of this was that UCLA (and others) were using images of players in ways that profited the university without the player getting any compensation for use of their picture. I have never thought of this as a legal matter as some payment scheme to put money in player pockets so they can have more money to spend nor as some sort of compensation for hours spent in practice, etc.

Of course, this morphed into a scheme to pay "amateur athletes" so as not to violate NCAA rules and then quickly evolved into a recruiting tool to buy top talent.

Bear in mind most D1 universities have 450+ athletes that have to be included if this is a subsidy program. Interestingly, many universities have marching band and cheer scholarships beyond the normal academics scholarship for all students. It is not uncommon for marching band members to spend more time in practice and travel than do athletes at the P5 level. As a family member who was in a big time P5 marching band told me that (1) there are no time limits of practice times and days as the NCAA has for athletes, (2) the marching band has "two a days" that start when football preseason practices starts plus their instrument breakout practices and (3) MB often travels by bus while the the team flies charter. The one benefit the MB got was stopping at Buc-ee's in the middle of the night!!

I am not confident the NCAA will rationalize this.....and pretty sure the P5 will make great use to buy talent.....

Finally, a couple callers to a radio talk show I heard this week was blaming Mizzou's NIL program for recruiting the top players out of Arkansas as it is more generous than the UAF program.....solution is to pay more money for the "top talent".......not sure how many "top talent" players come out of Arkansas each year but I doubt Mizzou's program is the culprit.....top talent has long leaked out of Arkansas well before NIL....

Last edited by JRK on Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:13 pm 
UserName Retired

x

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:43 am 
Two-Time All-American

Do any of the Bears current roster
have a NIL deal?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:05 pm 
UserName Retired

Well, the game looks to be starting...sounds like NFL AAA football on the way with more money than baseball...Herbstreit appeared on OutKick’s "Don’t @ Me with Dan Dakich"

"I feel like the NCAA has lost any power whatsoever in college football," he said. "I feel like, at this point, as we go to this new world, I would not be surprised. I don’t know how they’d get there. You’d take the Big Ten, whoever it's going to be – it’s like 60 teams, it’s the Big Ten, it’s the SEC, the ACC and the Big 12 and whoever else – I think they should go form their own world.

"Create their own governing body. Get one voice, one commissioner, instead of everyone having to get in agreement – these guys don’t always feel comfortable with each other – get one voice."

"I would pull out away from the NCAA, create my own governing body, I would partner with the players. I think you’d have to go through things like NIL and make some realistic changes," he said, adding that the new league would also have to address revenue sharing.

"I don’t know how you’d get there, but I think that’s where we’re headed," he said. "Players are going to be employees; you’re late to a meeting, you’re fined. It’s basically going to be the NFL in college football. Somehow, we still have to do academics, talk about the importance of getting an education, even though nobody wants to hear that, it is.