It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2024 Football Schedule
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:51 pm 
Redshirt

So with the release of the schedule for next year, it's looking like we got at least 5 homes games again and a chance to outright stake claim to best D1 football program in the state by playing and hopefully beating both UAPB and Arkansas State. The only thing that I could ask for more is to beat Austin Peay this coming Saturday to give them Bears a chance at winning the national championship. I'd even trade a loss next year to ASU and UAPB (the UAPB loss would really be a hard pill to swallow seeing how bad they are) for a national championship this year.

Post subject: Re: 2024 Football Schedule
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:00 pm 
2nd Team

If what was posted on this forum is indeed true about uapb backing out this year I’d tell them to kick rocks and schedule someone else. Not having that D1 win on our resume hurts with playoff chances if we were to lose Saturday.

Was really hoping for a big $ game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:43 pm 
All-Conference

Arkansas st will pay us to come up there

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:48 pm 
2nd Team

huggy_bear wrote:

I don’t doubt that but I’d be curious the numbers. Can’t imagine they pay a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:27 am 
All-Conference

PurpleHaze wrote:
huggy_bear wrote:

I don’t doubt that but I’d be curious the numbers. Can’t imagine they pay a lot.

Yeah, it's not much if anything. UCA should be getting more and more competive when they schedule A-State. It would be fun to have UAPB on every year though, Id be ok with giving up A-State since they are a FBS.

Would be fun to see UCA play like a Lousiana Tech, SMU, LA-Monroe type school. Would be a nice easy weekend trip to watch the bears play. A D2 in state school would be fun, but the GAC doesn't have non conference scheduling currently.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:47 am 
Starter

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=817 ... 7171921180

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:11 pm 
2nd Team

Mulerider wrote:
PurpleHaze wrote:
huggy_bear wrote:

Yeah, it's not much if anything. UCA should be getting more and more competive when they schedule A-State. It would be fun to have UAPB on every year though, Id be ok with giving up A-State since they are a FBS.

Would be fun to see UCA play like a Lousiana Tech, SMU, LA-Monroe type school. Would be a nice easy weekend trip to watch the bears play. A D2 in state school would be fun, but the GAC doesn't have non conference scheduling currently.

100% agree. A state isn’t exactly filling their stadium. 7 road games kinda sucks. I see Mcelvain’s picture as the pic on the schedule. I’m guessing he is coming back for a 7th year?!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:23 am 
Redshirt

I didn't think McElvain had any eligibility left after this year. As much as I'd love to get him back, especially after the on-the-field improvement/development from last year, I'm ready to see what Austin Myers and/or Tre Guerra can do as they will likely be the future of the Bears.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:33 pm 
UserName Retired

I believe Acri said on halftime break that Will had decided to come back for his final year......that was very good news from my viewpoint as he has shown to be a competent and reliable D1 QB....will give backups that much more time to learn and develop....

Probably just missed him but I did not see Austin last week on sidelines....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:09 pm 
2nd Team

JRK wrote:
I believe Acri said on halftime break that Will had decided to come back for his final year......that was very good news from my viewpoint as he has shown to be a competent and reliable D1 QB....will give backups that much more time to learn and develop....

Probably just missed him but I did not see Austin last week on sidelines....

I saw Myers post game taking pictures with some folks. I’ll be curious if he does what McDowell did and go to the portal. McDowell is commanding the number 3 team in fcs. Myers reminds me of McDowell with his size and athleticism. Wished we would have found a way to use Mcdowell more.

I like Mcelvain a lot, but I’d like to see some more game action from some of the other Qb’s. We have had just a ton of close games. Nobody else is getting any real meaningful reps in case Will gets hurt. I called a friend and they said Mcelvain recently got credit for an injury he had a few years ago so he gets a medical year. Didn’t know you could do that. He did say that Guerra has left the program, but had no idea why.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:25 am 
All-Conference

I wish they wouldn’t play any of those “money games”. play teams in your classification.

The basketball team is for filling the coffers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:56 pm 
2nd Team

huggy_bear wrote:
I wish they wouldn’t play any of those “money games”. play teams in your classification.

Sarcasm?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:47 pm 
All-Conference

huggy_bear wrote:

What is our classification? For those who don’t realize, UCA sports teams are all part of Division 1 and can qualify for the highest Division 1 tournaments. Yes, even men’s basketball would be invited to the “dance” 64 team tourney if we’d win our conference tournament. The only exception to this is Bears football, which is Division1 FCS, which is totally separate from Division 1 FBS in terms of scholarships and playoffs.

So, what’s our classification. It’s Division 1.

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:41 pm 
All-Conference

thanks, that makes my point. play fcs schools

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:03 pm 
2nd Team

The kids enjoy playing in front of 50-60k fans. One game I’ve heard around half a million. Some years when we aren’t competitive I’d agree with you.