It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2024 Early Look
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:34 pm 
All-Conference

FOOT84 wrote:
Can’t blame the coaches.
The NCAA created this mess.

Indeed they did, by treating athletes as indentured servants while making untold billions in the process.

I'm all for what's best for the athletes. NIL and new transfer rules are it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:17 am 
Two-Time All-American

VolleyBear wrote:
FOOT84 wrote:
Can’t blame the coaches.

Indeed they did, by treating athletes as indentured servants while making untold billions in the process.

What about those kids who don’t receive anything?
Is that best?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:42 pm 
Redshirt

VolleyBear wrote:
FOOT84 wrote:
Can’t blame the coaches.

I agree. What's good for the goose (colleges/universities) is good for the gander (student-athlete). Everyone now has the chance to earn money off of their name image and/or likeness. Now if only the typical know it all fan would look up myths vs facts about the NIL and who all it actually benefits versus assuming it's only the top male players. That'd be great.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:17 pm 
Redshirt

You can’t say it’s the coaching staff in the age of the NIL (you can but most of the time it isn’t). Now more than ever, athletes are able to bet on themselves with their one time transfer. Add the chance for NIL money and there is going to be even more athletes entering the portal. I’d argue that a lot of these athletes will stop looking at how successful a program is (in terms of wins and losses) and look at the NIL opportunity they get.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:55 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Purplebearfan901 wrote:
You can’t say it’s the coaching staff in the age of the NIL (you can but most of the time it isn’t). Now more than ever, athletes are able to bet on themselves with their one time transfer. Add the chance for NIL money and there is going to be even more athletes entering the portal. I’d argue that a lot of these athletes will stop looking at how successful a program is (in terms of wins and losses) and look at the NIL opportunity they get.

Exactly…it’s great for college football. Take care
of me and screw the team. As long as I can benefit…
don’t care about my teammates.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:19 pm 
Redshirt

FOOT84 wrote:
Purplebearfan901 wrote:

Exactly…it’s great for college football. Take care
of me and screw the team. As long as I can benefit…

It definitely is a double edged sword. You can tell those who are loyal through all this as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:38 pm 
All-Conference

FOOT84 wrote:
What about those kids who don’t receive anything?
Is that best?

Yes. Everyone is able to pursue NIL deals or look for a better gig via transfer, all according to his or her market value. Prior to the rule changes, money got made by many businesses using athlete images or likenesses.

Here's a real-life local example: A few years ago, back when the yellow pages was still printed and distributed (is it still?), a few UCA athletes appeared on the cover in game action shots. Perhaps this happened often; I only saw it one year. I assume the photos were provided by UCA sports info. The yellow pages is (was) a for-profit endeavor and made money using the likenesses of UCA athletes on its product. I have no idea whether the UCA received any money. I know the athletes did not.

Like it or not, college athletics is an entertainment business, even at the DIII level. And like any entertainment business, some entertainers will have more celebrity, and hence value, than others. NIL and the transfer portal is the market in action.

FOOT84 wrote:
[Take care of me and screw the team. As long as I can benefit…

So can one assume you've never looked for a better job?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:13 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Yeah I looked for a better job .. but
that’s not a team sport.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:53 pm 
All-Conference

It’s not the coaches fault? They continually leave jobs for greener pastures and got called on their hypocrisy. Blame the kids all you want, but the adults screwed it up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:01 am 
Two-Time All-American

I understand the kids need money. I certainly
did when I played…but it cold have been structured
to be equal among all schools and not to entice
the kids to bolt and run to another program.
After all they are supposed to be student / athletes…
not professional.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:46 pm 
Redshirt

Huggy,
I was replying to your post that it’s the coaches fault these players are leaving

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:49 am 
All-Conference

There have been no postings about the NCAA proposal last week for a new super division (with unlimited pay to players and a minimum of $30k/year for all scholarship athletes). Obviously many G5 and most FCS institutions cannot afford this requirement. What effect would it have if the proposal is approved? Perhaps a restructuring of G5 and FCS?
Any thoughts?

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:05 pm 
Redshirt

It's a new day and we will have to deal with it... Honestly we have benefited from it so no complaints here... Everyone should be able to pursue their happiness.... I don't want to be the one choosing... Good or Bad results let Everyone choose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:57 pm 
UserName Retired

Apparently the proposal includes a provision of some sort about an opt out for those who do not have the financial wherewithal to become minor league NFL operations....it is just a matter of time before the sports books are front and center of providing the money to the "elite" programs....maybe the NFL will get into the fray somehow....

This is fraught with all sorts of discrimination and employment law problems....the suit claiming women soccer are not getting paid like the football players is probably already being conjured up...

Not sure FCS and below programs will be terribly hurt (although certainly to a degree as any "elite" level prospect will be at one of the "elite" teams on the sidelines drawing a paycheck)...but the G5 teams (like A-State) will have a difficult position.... I could see a few P5 teams decide not to play the new game and drop down a level....and FBS would have a playoff....if TV can make the dollars work there will be a 24 team P5 playoff for the TV revenues....

Just my thoughts....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:22 am 
UserName Retired

I had a long conversation with an FBS coach last year. He said within 5 years there should not be any college teams left. It is likely to expand the NIL money AND to afford it schools will then convert their athletics to corporate sponsored teams. For example ASU Red Wolves or UCA Bears would become Tyson Corporation Limited Red Wolves or Acxiom Corporation Bears. I don't know how close to the truth that is but if the money keeps piling up like this then eventually it's appears to be the logical path.
I've watched soccer clubs throughout Europe with this design and it seems to work for them. Not that it will work here but eventually the money will become too big and it will have to change something about how the sport is run.