It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:49 pm 
Two-Time All-American

does anyone know exactly at what times or where these meetings will take place on campus? Or will there be any times for any public forums with the Southland leaders?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:44 pm 
Team Captain

According to McCollum's Column yesterday, the meetings are supposed to take place on July 19 & 20th. The article did not mention particular times, but did say that meetings would be held with staff and athletes. Go to TheCabin.net and search the archived sport section for the complete article. Although this won't have any effect on my son's last year to play, I still like to keep informed. It will be interesting to see how this change will affect the dynamics of the athletic program at UCA not to mention the status change to DIV I-AA prospects. I'm not really hip to the politics involved but I'm still a little curious as to how this will all turn out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:33 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

The Southland Compliance team IS in Conway today and tomorrow to make sure UCA is in compliance with GSC and NCAA rules and also to make sure we are compliance ready for a possible move up.

The real meetings with the SLC will go on as planned next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:25 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Things are starting to heat up around it AWESOME baby!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:44 am 
Site Admin

There is an article about TAMU-CC and the SLC HERE. It is their local paper, and you must register to read the article. The site is free.

But as a summary, it mentions that both schools are likely to hear back from the conference by late Sept or early Oct.
It also mentions that TAMU-CC will be receiving a list of written follow-up questions from the SLC within 10 days. (The SLC just completed their visit to Corpus Christi.)

The SLC will arrive on UCA's campus tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:33 pm 
All-American

Thanks for the tip Admin.....you guys ought to take a few minutes and go over and look over the coverage given by the Corpus Christi newspaper.

Very informative, particularly in the area of adding football.

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:56 am 
Site Admin

MC's Column today is on the SLC.

Also, UCA was mentioned, albeit very briefly, in yesterday's USA Today about the SLC visit.

You can find both in the newsstand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:51 am 
Team Captain

Minor error.

ASU didn't leave the Southland to join Division I. The Southland has been Division I in hoops since 1973 and in football since 1975. So we didn't leave to join what we were already in. We left the SLC after the 1986 football season (conference champs, I-AA runner-ups), to form the American South Conference (which later merged with the Sun Belt) to upgrade our basketball competition. We played the 1987, 1988, and 1989 seasons as a I-AA independent and announced our intention to move football to I-A after the 1989 season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:53 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

yeah, that doesn't surprise me. Don't expect the most factual journalism from Conway's very own, who happens to be very against this move up, I might add.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:41 pm 
Practice Squad

you know he sits at UCA games with the headphones on listening to his almighty "pigs" playing ball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:48 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I have also noticed in the past that during basketball, he gets his quotes that he uses in the LCD from the radio interview, instead of interviewing the coaches themselves after the radio interviews. I'm sure it isn't that way every single game, but it has happened more than it's fair share of the time. Letting the radio do all the legwork for him, must be nice that way.

Last edited by Bear Fan 101 on Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:08 pm 
Practice Squad

Just got back from news conference with Southland Conference, Pres Webb with Northwestern State University stated he would "give an enthusiastic recommendation to extend an invitation to UCA". They were very complimentary on UCA's campus, facilities and officials.

You can see it on KTHV 11 out of Little Rock. Craig Oneal covered it for them. Or read www.thecabin.net.

The costs to move is not that great. The commish said the athletic budget would run about 5 million and UCA's budget for this physical year is 4.5 million. you do the math........Hate the Nate Salant (GSC commish) was wrong AGAIN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:42 pm 
Team Captain

Those numbers are optimistic.

Assuming UCA will fund its sports scholarships close to Division limits, the scholarship costs alone will account for a $500,000. Travel expenses will go up with no short trips and more overnight stays.

As noted earlier, an NCAA study found that moving from Division II to Division I raises expenditures more like $3.5 million.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:49 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Last Bear wrote:
Just got back from news conference with Southland Conference, Pres Webb with Northwestern State University stated he would "give an enthusiastic recommendation to extend an invitation to UCA". They were very complimentary on UCA's campus, facilities and officials.

You can see it on KTHV 11 out of Little Rock. Craig Oneal covered it for them. Or read www.thecabin.net.

The costs to move is not that great. The commish said the athletic budget would run about 5 million and UCA's budget for this physical year is 4.5 million. you do the math........Hate the Nate Salant (GSC commish) was wrong AGAIN.

Thanks for the play by play. It sure sounds like we are getting 2 thumbs up from those 2 at least. Any more information or news you care to share on the press conference? Were there a lot of people at the press conference or just media types?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:03 am 
Two-Time All-American

There was a good crowd on hand for the press conference...The Southland commissioner and the President of Northwestern said that they really loved the structure of UCA and that it would be a perfect fit into the Southland....I got he impression that both gentlemen were really impressed with UCA from all aspects and that once they reviewed with the board of president in the Southland that UCA would become a new member of their family! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next