It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Move to D-1AA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:05 pm 
Redshirt

Good luck! Some of my fondest memories from college include the ball run from Bald Knob to Jonesboro for the ASU-UCA games. I can't wait to play y'all again at Indian Stadium. It'll be great for the whole state!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:12 pm 
Practice Squad

Thanks for being positive and not having tunnel vision! We do appreciate that here! I think UCA and TECH have always had a great match up and healthy rivalry. Hopefully some other team will fill that void if UCA does make the move....ASU being the likely choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:55 pm 
Redshirt

I think an in-state rivalry between us would be great! And, I'm of the school of thought that "a rising tide raises all boats."

Post subject: nice of you to post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:58 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I really do hope that the series is renewed. I've heard things about it being renewed sooner than later, but I chalk that up to rumormilling until I hear otherwise.

As someone who grew up in FC and dad sent 1 or 2 players to stAte I believe to play football and here as well, I have an interest in the rivalry continuing, beginning, what have you. Home in home one day or Home and in LR doesn't matter, those were fun games in jonesboro, minus the score a few years back in the 90s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:18 pm 
Team Captain

I really expect to see it renewed. With the exception of a few years of ill-will we played UALR pretty consistently in basketball and even then played in other sports. We play UAPB in everything except for football (not for a lack of trying on our part) though its been a few years in hoops but that was never competitive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:46 pm 
UserName Retired

UAPB's basketball hasn't been competitive for a looong time. Or their baseball teams for that matter.
Coach Forte has done a great job in the year he has been there. I think the football program at UAPB is on the up. Not that UCA should ever play them again after they backed out and forced us to schedule an NAIA team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:25 am 
Team Captain

On the UP in the SWAC still isn't that impressive.

No SWAC team has EVER won a playoff game in I-AA. The SWAC just isn't at the same level as the A-10 (soon to be Colonial), Big Sky, Gateway, OVC, Southern and Southland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:18 am 
Practice Squad

Congrats on the move up. Hopefully now we will have an in state rivalry game in football.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:04 am 
UserName Retired

Do you guys expect it to be a usual home and home series? Or since we'd be a smaller division some other kind of deal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:22 am 
Team Captain

I would expect home/home in everything except football.

Football would be Jonesboro only.

Little Rock would be unlikely any time soon, and in Conway would require significant expansion to ever be considered. Our two most recent games in LR drew double the capacity of Estes Stadium with opponents that aren't of much interest in Central Arkansas.

Ever moving to Little Rock would be problematic. Overhead costs would require selling about 5,000 more tickets in LR than Jonesboro just to get to the same revenue level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:32 am 
UserName Retired

If you had to guess, what's the usual road team attendance in Jonesboro?
I was as the Troy game last year and they didn't seem to have very many at all. That was a team that had beaten Missouri and Marshall (I think).

Also, when I referred to UCA's home I meant LR. But I would love to see Estes increase it's capacity (due to necessity). I was looking at some of the I-AA stadiums and we are comparable to some, but some are far superior. Not that I want to steal ASU's fans :D, but hopefully the central part of the state will jump on UCA - while still being hog fans of course cause that's not likely to change - and attendance to all sporting events will increase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:58 am 
Practice Squad

Arkstfan could probably answer this better but this is my take on why the attendance for the Troy home game was sub par. The Troy home game was scheduled on Thursday night for television coverage. The Troy game was also late in the year and the combination of bad weather, hunting season, and the fact that it was on Thursday instead of Saturday lead to poor attendance.

Even with poor attendance we went on to defeat bowl-bound Troy University who had, as you mentioned beat Mizzou and Marshal.

Earlier in the year we had over 32,000 in attendance at home for the near win over # 25 Memphis. We lost this game in the last 3:00 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:06 pm 
Team Captain

Visitors probably average less than 500. Ole Miss and Memphis brought less than 8,000 (Memphis was closer to 6,000 than to 8,000). I expect Oklahoma State to shatter that in 2006. They took 12,000 to Shreveport for a game against La.Tech. I would think they may bring as many as 15,000 to Little Rock. Since our last two games in LR drew 19,000 and 20,000 it will be a very split crowd.

What I've not seen anyone mention is the fact that Arkansas produces a pretty decent stable of I-AA talent. UAPB has never effectively tapped into it. A few schools come into the state and grab a few players but most have stayed home with it often coming down to which in-state school will offer a full ride vs. a partial.

Bouncing up to 63 scholies will give UCA a bunch more full rides to distribute and really hurt the Division II schools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:09 pm 
UserName Retired

Huh? The Troy game was on Saturday, Oct. 16.
It was also the day UCA beat DSU in an unbelievable game (55-52). I had someone texting me updates while I was watching the Indians.

It was definitely what would be called a defensive battle. There was one deep pass completion by ASU and that was 90% of the offense. While the ASU game combined for 487 yards, UCA had 644 yards by themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:10 pm 
Team Captain

go stAte wrote:
Arkstfan could probably answer this better but this is my take on why the attendance for the Troy home game was sub par. The Troy home game was scheduled on Thursday night for television coverage.

You are confusing games. Troy was the 7th game of the year (though only the second at home. The game was televised in Alabama but not in Arkansas. It was after the ULM road win and the two turnover fests (two for TD's against Ole Miss in a 7pt. loss and 5 turnovers vs. MTSU in a mess).

You are thinking of Utah State or North Texas both played in November on Thursday nights in the rain.