It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1st game of the season!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:51 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Just out of curiousity why in the heck are we playing eastern new mexico in LR. I mean honestly there is not going to be the same kind of crowd as if it were in Conway. The only reason I am making this post is because I have been hearing a lot of people complaining about it being played at War Memorial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:58 pm 
UserName Retired

For one thing - the game will be a benefit for the Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock.

Burly or someone else will probably be able to confirm or deny this, but I thought that maybe UCA signed a contract with War Memorial before the UAPB series. I don't know if that's true, but just throwing it out there.

Also, it's pretty good exposure for UCA. It's on a Thursday, every news station in LR will be at the game for sure. There are probably others....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:26 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

treyuca wrote:
For one thing - the game will be a benefit for the Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock.

There are probably others....

Like the post game revelry, instead of driving 20 minutes to LR for postgame celebrations, you only have to drive a couple of miles :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:27 pm 
All-American

The bad part about it, is that IMHO, I just don't believe we are going to draw very well in Little Rock against a team like Eastern New Mexico.

Arkansas State is another story, but I just don't see it happening against the Greyhounds.

We could possibily be embarassed by the turnout down there.

Burly Bear
:roll:

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:29 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

If this bad expected turnout comes to pass, do you think that will affect future games being scheduled there. Surely everyone knows the bigger the name, the more we would draw. ASU would draw, any bigger school would draw as well.

On a side note, why not play E. New Mexico @ Estes and still have the game benefit the Arkansas Children's Hospital? Do we have to go to LR? Or was this already in the contract?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:32 pm 
All-American

I have asked the same questions and all I get is this blank stare

Burly Bear :roll:

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:33 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

if you get the chance, pass a long the blank stares :? from Bear Fan 101 as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:34 pm 
All-American

Duly noted and passed on.

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:45 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I have another question I am hoping someone out there can rationalize for me.

If we don't have a better than expected or better than average crowd at War Memorial, which I assume the AD thinks we will semi pack the place, realtively speaking, won't we actually LOSE money instead of give money to Ark. Children's Hospital. With what it costs to rent and operate the stadium and a low attendance wouldn't that actually affect the bottom line the kids actually get?

If so this would be the 2nd time in 2 years we actaully LOSE large money on a game...Iowa Wesleyan comes to mind when Vance and/or Lu allowed UAPB to get out of our game for FREE instead of the 25K that was supposed to be forked over for breaking the contract.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:05 am 
All-American

I would assume you are correct. I have often wondered the same thing.

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:30 am 
Two-Time All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
If this bad expected turnout comes to pass, do you think that will affect future games being scheduled there. Surely everyone knows the bigger the name, the more we would draw. ASU would draw, any bigger school would draw as well.

On a side note, why not play E. New Mexico @ Estes and still have the game benefit the Arkansas Children's Hospital? Do we have to go to LR? Or was this already in the contract?

Thats exactly what I was trying to say it just came out a little different lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:12 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

whenever all the numbers DO come out, I wish someone could get the real numbers and see what they actually read as far as our expenses for using War Memorial compared to what we make for that game and see if we..or the kids really, come out ahead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:23 pm 
UserName Retired

Alright, let me give my view on the game in LR. I have seen Prez Lu advertise his axx off for the univesity for students to go there. It is very effective. I know he will do more than that to get crowds to see the bears at War. It is a great marketing strategy for prospective students and future atheletes who might go to UCA, especially since they can now visually see the team play and feel the atmosphere. I had a friend who once told me, "UCA has a team? How good are they?". I couldn't believe my ears! He now goes to every home game and has season duckets for next year! If thousands of people will go watch uca play uapb (u are probably beaten), there will be at least 20,000 go see us play e.n.m. After the game that night, come back to this board and worship me for that prediction (just kidding :lol: ) Pending another drenching of rain, it will sell big, thanks to a huge barrage of ads for it starting at least 3 weeks before game time and nothing else planned in the state that night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:43 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I sure hope your prediction of 20K works out. Any number equaling or exceeding that number would be an outstanding number to say the least to watch a game on a thursday night at War Memorial. That would mean that old dump would be almost half full of nothing but Purple and Gray, since I am doubting ENM brings any number of people, minus staff and a parent or two.

Will that still cover all the costs of renting and operating the stadium and give us left over to give to the Kids? I'm guessing War Memorial isn't letting us play there for free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:45 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Okay, well I'm not saying that prediction couldn't happen, but I really don't think there will be 20,000 people to come and see uca play Eastern New Mexico. Sorry but ENM is just not that well known, I mean we coujld prob get a 20,000+ crowd if we played Arkansas State or UAPB. I mean I'm going to keep my fingers crossed hoping that 20,000+ come but I'm not going to hold my breathe.