It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The season so far
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:03 am 
Starter

A quick look at the bears season shows 3 losses. One to a team leading the Sunbelt Conf. (Ark. ST.), one to a team in 2nd in the WAC (La. Tech) and one to an undefeated SLA team (Sam). The La Tech game could/should have been a win and another (Sam) would have atleast been more competitive with our QB & MLB playing. Four straight wins has us with momentum and the defense has improved each week. If we catch a break with injuries and keep up the intensity, winning out is very achievable for this team. It will interesting to see the recruiting results of a strong finish on the field along with the new field, weight room and sky boxes. While not a lifelong follower of the SLC, I think these things along with the indoor practice field, separate us from the competition. :D

Post subject: Re: The season so far
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:20 am 
UserName Retired

Winning out is very achievable and you have to think that if we win out (and don't win the SLC) we might be in contention for an at-large bid to the playoffs!
However, winning out will be tough! It helps that 2 of our last 3 games are at home and those are SELA and TX State, which are both very winnable on the stripes. Between those two games is @NW State. They are a very solid team and play well at home. It will be tough, but it can be done!
Not having been to the other SLC stadiums/other facilities, it is hard for me to know what advantage these things will hold in recruiting. I do know that prospective student-athletes like new thing, so I don't think it can hurt!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:27 am 
All-Conference

Good post TBEARDAD! I agree! I am not UCA Alum, but grew up in conway, and enjoy going to all the home games. The new additions are very, very impressive. Kudos to the athletic dept, and donors for really stepping up. I have talked with some of the football players parents from surrounding states, and they are impressed with UCA. Go Bears!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:16 pm 
Team Captain

Question: If we were to win out and finish 2nd in the SLC, what are our chances of getting an at-large bid to the national playoff? Would it be influenced by a top 25 ranking, power rating, or what?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:54 pm 
UserName Retired

To make playoffs without winning SLC means first of all the Bears win out. Win out by taking one game at a time. All remaining are certainly winnable but none are gimmes. Great teams get better and win in November. Lions are always a challenge. Demons at home give us real problems. Bobcats have not forgotten the blow out on TV and no doubt willl want to go out with a win over UCA and to keep us out of the playoffs. See bottom for recent history vs each team. Bears are 3-1 vs SELA
but the avg margin in the sries is only 4-5 points. (Note: We had Demons beat in 2007 but just could not hold in the final minute.)

FCS media has a good respect for UCA but SLC does not get much respect in general. Not sure how that translates to the selection committee but these guys do feed off each other to a degree in keeping up with teams and conferences. Losses to A-State, LTU and Sam probably will not hurt us in minds of committee members but lack of wins over ranked teams will hurt.

Recent history vs SELA:
3-1
2007: 37-33 at Hammond
2008: 28-21 at Conway
2009: 21-25 at Hammond
2010: 23-20 at Conway

Recent history vs Northwestern State:
2-2
2007: 28-31 at Natch
2008: 42-6 at Conway
2009: 34-0 at Natch
2010: 19-24 at Conway

Recent history vs Texas State:
2-2
2007: 63-21 at Conway
2008: 31-24 at San Marcos
2009: 24-27 at Conway
2010: 49-17 at San Marcos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:28 pm 
UserName Retired

Purple Thunder wrote:
Question: If we were to win out and finish 2nd in the SLC, what are our chances of getting an at-large bid to the national playoff? Would it be influenced by a top 25 ranking, power rating, or what?

My Thoughts

You should know that my knowledge of the FCS playoffs is extremely limited.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:01 pm 
Two-Time All-American

treyuca wrote:
Purple Thunder wrote:

My Thoughts

In my opinion, should we win out I think we have better than a 50-50 chance at the playoffs. We would move up with every win and some teams are going to lose ahead of us.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:10 pm 
Two-Time All-American

UCABEARS75 wrote:
treyuca wrote:
Purple Thunder wrote:

My Thoughts

In my opinion, should we win out I think we have better than a 50-50 chance at the playoffs. We would move up with every win and some teams are going to lose ahead of us.

The key words in that sentence are (WIN OUT)...do so and we will be in the mix.
The La Tech game will help our chances.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:38 pm 
Two-Time All-American

How many teams advance to the FCS Playoffs? Did they expand that number last
year? I think it is 20 teams, with 4 teams getting a first round bye. Is this correct
or not?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:45 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Ok... I looked at last years bracket. There are 20 teams with 4 first round games,
involving 8 teams. 4 loosers leave 16 teams for the second round. So in theory we
will have to be at least in the top 25 to be considered I would think. Then it would
be a stretch if we were not in the top 20.