It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: UCA 2014 Spring Fotball
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:07 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Howard was stellar last year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:53 pm 
Team Captain

Missed it yesterday. Thanks for the updates everyone. Haven't seen a write up from ucasports.com yet. I figured they would have stats or box score. Anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:57 pm 
Team Captain

PURPLERULES wrote:
Missed it yesterday. Thanks for the updates everyone. Haven't seen a write up from ucasports.com yet. I figured they would have stats or box score. Anyone?

Willie Matthews had 3 short yardage TDs and Taylor Reed had a 44 yard TD pass to Dezmin Lewis. Jatavious had his usual 31 yard TD run. Dillon Winfrey also had a couple sacks but of course who knows if it would have been in a real game. Purple team pretty much dominated.

Im sure the echo will have something about it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:37 am 
Two-Time All-American

BearCountry wrote:
I can't wait until the new recruits come in and start battling for positions. I see a qb spot that is up for grabs IMO.

LOL, we are talented and deep at QB, more so than any position except maybe wide receiver.

The incoming freshman will be redshifted.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:12 pm 
UserName Retired

UCABEARS75 wrote:
BearCountry wrote:
I can't wait until the new recruits come in and start battling for positions. I see a qb spot that is up for grabs IMO.

LOL, we are talented and deep at QB, more so than any position except maybe wide receiver.

That is true. ANY decent qb would have a hayday with those senior WRs. What I'm looking at is that QB from Morrilton, Hawkins, making an instant impact starting NEXT year since he will redshirt this year. Watching the scrimmage any of the starting 3 QBs could throw the ball. But next year when those receivers are thinned out we will need a good running QB...Hawkins is the guy IMO.

I wouldn't anoint #13 the starter yet. He had some good competition and a new coach to deal with.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:59 pm 
Redshirt

thought bears looked good in scrimmage, although purple team was stacked. anyone cld through with purple team , but the hildebrand qb(#12) on the gray team threw the ball all over the purple(1st team defense), at one point completed 10 passes in a row,and was under constant pressure, ended the game 18/21 passsing. in second half marched the purple team down field for a score. also heard from coaches that he ran a 4.58 40 in his visit to uca last year. i think the qb race is tighter than you think. that kid also has a rocket arm.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:30 pm 
Team Captain

Coach Brown will have the right guy running out on the field for the Texas Tech game. He knows personally how to do it and has done a great job developing QBs since he has started coaching. Dick/Smothers/Howard
This team is very exciting. Id like to see us get another impact transfer on defense. I think our offense will be great if we stay healthy. The team has responded to new staff and will be ready to go in August. Maybe the one of the toughest schedules we have had here in a long time though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:33 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BearCountry wrote:
UCABEARS75 wrote:
BearCountry wrote:

That is true. ANY decent qb would have a hayday with those senior WRs. What I'm looking at is that QB from Morrilton, Hawkins, making an instant impact starting NEXT year since he will redshirt this year. Watching the scrimmage any of the starting 3 QBs could throw the ball. But next year when those receivers are thinned out we will need a good running QB...Hawkins is the guy IMO.

I wouldn't anoint #13 the starter yet. He had some good competition and a new coach to deal with.

I agree that Howard is not a lock to be the starter as the competition has been good. And we have QB's who are much better than decent.

Have to disagree on Hawkins however. He is a great athlete who may not be red shirted but will play wide receiver, running back, or DB, not QB. We signed a QB from Chattanoga, TN.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:39 pm 
UserName Retired

I think with Hawkins quick decisions to run or pass he'll be part of a dual QB system next year. Taylor/Hawkins is a nice dual threat. But there is so much competition. Nice problem to have but it usually means a qb will either transfer or play another position like #3 did for us.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:43 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I'm not too worried about the UCA offense...watched TTU spring game Saturday
Afternoon. Bear D better be able to control their screen passing game. They
Throw it sideways constantly. Mostly bubble screens. Bear D better be able
to tackle in space.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:41 pm 
Team Captain

Echo article

http://ucaecho.net/featured/purple-beat ... ring-game/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:09 pm 
Redshirt

i just watched the hildebrand kids youtube from high school, pretty impressive. fast and smart, with big arm. think he has all the tools to make a big impact, although just a redshirt freshman. passing all over the purple defense was pretty impressive considering the rush he had coming. and then threw 2-3 nice passes with purple team. difference maker. all qb's looked nice in scrimmage. go bears

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:14 am 
Practice Squad

Hildebrand is going to be a stud.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:06 pm 
Team Captain

Hildebrand is going to be really good. His ceiling is out the roof. I'd say he is the #3 QB right now after seeing the first two scrimmages and 5 or 6 practices. We are in a good situation at QB. Heard he did well in final scrimmage I missed it. We can def win a lot of games if he wins the job. Because the two other guys are really good that he would have to beat out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:31 pm 
UserName Retired

http://thecabin.net/sports/college/bears/2014-04-14/mccollums-column-some-initial-thoughts-ucas-first-spring-under-steve

http://www.ucasports.com/news/2014/4/15/FB_0415142107.aspx

Nice articles....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next