It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: George Odum Story
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:27 am 
UserName Retired

A tragic story that I had never heard/read about Odum. This was published before the SFA game, so there's some sprinkling in of thoughts on Conque's departure as well.

Memphis Preps: A Death Remembered
Former Millington Central player George Odum talks about Dana Payne

Quote:
August 21, 2012. The Millington Central Trojans were having a routine practice. They were scheduled to open the season at Kirby in three days. Hike. Sophomore receiver Dana Payne crossed the middle of the field looking to make a routine play. Senior Defense Back George Odum just so happened to break from his man he was guarding, putting him in Payne’s path. Odum said he tried to pull-up to lessen the impact. “He ran into my shoulder,” Odum said. “And he fell.”

Payne got up. But he fell again. He stopped breathing. He was given CPR and regained his breath. He was conscious as he was taken to Le Bonheur’s Children Hospital in Memphis. “He was fine when he was going to the hospital,” remembers Odum. “They said he would be alright.” But he wasn’t.

Post subject: Re: George Odum Story
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:08 pm 
UserName Retired

Odum wasn’t as bothered with Conque’s decision to leave as he was with how he announced his departure, via text.

It was only a minor setback. Odum worked his way into the starting line-up. And now Conque gets to see maybe more of Odum than he anticipated. Central Arkansas and Stephen F. Austin play Saturday, October 4, at Homer Bryce Stadium in Nacogdoches, Texas.

“We talked about it,” he says of his Bears teammates. “When we make a tackle we’re just going to stare at (Conque).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:28 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I'm just wondering why this story has only surfaced now? And I'm talking
about the tragic death of a young man. How does something like this stay
under wraps?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:50 pm 
UserName Retired

It was two years ago before he got here. I'm sure it's not something he wants to talk about often. But the Memphis media has a unique angle of looking back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:34 pm 
UserName Retired

Nice story. George seems to have come to terms with the incident. He has certainly showed signs of great potential on the field.

As to the "via text", coaches leaving these days too often do not face their players straight up. One major college coach reportedly told his guys one day he would not be leaving then they herad about hhs leaving next day on TV. I think they cleaned his office and locker out for him.