It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:22 pm 
UserName Retired

One question from the article:
Why have I never heard Division I-AAA when it (apparently) includes schools such as Gonzaga, Cal State Fullerton, and DePaul who do not field football teams? Just weird to me that I've never heard these programs mentioned as I-AAA... anyway.

And some quotes pulled:

"The largest sources of increased revenues after institutional support were student fees, state support, alumni support, ticket sales, and money from conferences and the NCAA.
The largest targets of increased spending were scholarships, salaries and travel."

"For the most part, those schools that reviewed financial data decided to stay in Division II.
However, school officials cited a number of intangible reasons for moving to Division I, including: public visibility, increased school spirit, or feeling out of place in Division II because of enrollment size or nearby rivals."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:45 pm 
Team Captain

I-AAA is just a voting designation.

If there is an issue that impacts any division I sport other than football or impacts the general regulations of the division, then all Division I conferences vote (or all schools in the rare convention vote).

If it is merely a I-A football issue then only I-A leagues vote (any conference that has 8 I-A members).

If it is merely a I-AA issue then only representatives of I-A leagues vote (any conference with six or more I-AA members, this gets weird, the A-10 votes as a I-AA, but their rep on the NCAA Board is from a I-AA school that plays football in a different I-A league).

If it is a FOOTBALL issue but not specific to the two subgroups then everyone votes EXCEPT the I-AAA schools.

The 12 game schedule was divided into a sub group votes. I-A and I-AA voted seperately to determine the max number of games for each sub group. I-A passed it and I-AA rejected it.

Off the top of my head, I can't recall a football issue that had both subgroups voting. When overtime was adopted in I-A, it had already existed in I-AA for the playoffs and for conference games when the conference had adopted it. When I-A adopted it across the board I-AA followed suit as I remember, I don't believe it was done as a football issue.

You hear of I-A and I-AA because of football. Since there is no championships or sports tied to I-AAA (only requirement is that you be Division I and not play football) no one talks of I-AAA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:56 pm 
UserName Retired

That makes total sense and is what I imagined, I just can't believe I've never heard of it before. Thanks for the info.

It's weird that I-AA schools almost have the I-AA stigma attached in other sports, but if you're I-AAA you won't have to worry about that. Maybe that's just my perception though.

I'm not even sure that makes sense, but since ASU was there once, I thought you might relate.

Post subject: Re: FWIW
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:42 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

arkstfan wrote:
The NCAA has concluded a study of programs moving from Division II to Division I and found that while revenue increased by $2.5 million (nearly $2 million of that increase came from the school itself), expenses increased by an average of $3.5 million.

In an interesting note. Schools that are Division II if they increase their spending on athletics the increase will not be recovered by new revenue. On average each extra dollar of athletic spending for a Division II school nets only 60 cents, losing 40 cents per dollar of investment. If memory serves a similar study in Division I found that the ROI in Division I ranged from 80 cents per dollar to $1.10 depending the type of school. For example a BCS school adding luxury suites can expect an ROI of around $1.10 but a non-football school beefing up its program can expect to lose 20 cents for every extra dollar (couldn't find the link to the Div I study... sorry).

The report does note that pure financial reasons aren't the only reason for shifting Divisions.

Quote:
However, school officials cited a number of intangible reasons for moving to Division I, including: public visibility, increased school spirit, or feeling out of place in Division II because of enrollment size or nearby rivals.

Here is the article.
http://www2.ncaa.org/media_and_events/p ... y_rls.html

Thanks for the knowledge arkstfan. Bring us more whenever you get this.

I sure hope the powers that be are reading some of this stuff and REALLY doing their homework before this move up, or we are going to end up like Savannah St out of GA, or close to it if we misjudge this move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:39 pm 
Team Captain

Savannah State is the prime example of how to not do it.

Life as an independent in Division I is a guarantee for trouble. Scheduling is a nightmare and recruits know post-season is out of the question except in a few sports like track where you can qualify based on times, heights or distances. UCA is going to have a home.

They moved up barely funding the minimum number of scholies (without looking it up I believe the requirement is to award one-half of the maximum allowed, so if you could offer 140 based on the total limit of all sports combined you have to award at least 70 total, you can spread that across sports as you like). It may take a few years to get all sports to the limits but I can't see UCA doing the bare minimum.

Trying to play football at the I-AA level awarding something like 20 scholies isn't going to get you any wins unless you can spend your time playing the leagues that don't award football scholies. Playing basketball awarding 9 or 10 isn't going to cut it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:42 pm 
All-American

arkstfan wrote:
Savannah State is the prime example of how to not do it.

Life as an independent in Division I is a guarantee for trouble. Scheduling is a nightmare and recruits know post-season is out of the question except in a few sports like track where you can qualify based on times, heights or distances. UCA is going to have a home.

They moved up barely funding the minimum number of scholies (without looking it up I believe the requirement is to award one-half of the maximum allowed, so if you could offer 140 based on the total limit of all sports combined you have to award at least 70 total, you can spread that across sports as you like). It may take a few years to get all sports to the limits but I can't see UCA doing the bare minimum.

Trying to play football at the I-AA level awarding something like 20 scholies isn't going to get you any wins unless you can spend your time playing the leagues that don't award football scholies. Playing basketball awarding 9 or 10 isn't going to cut it.

I've got to tell you, I have learned ALOT off of your posts. Great Information.

I can tell that you have spent alot of time researching this stuff.

Again, thanks for the info.

Burly Bear
:D :D :D :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:33 pm 
Practice Squad

UpandIn913 wrote:
Man we need to get live bear!! I mean if North Alabama can have a real lion, then we need a real BEAR!!!!

http://lioncam.una.edu/view/view.shtml

It's not just 1 anymore, it's 2. Click the link to view them in their habitat..mostly 9-4 daily.

http://home.earthlink.net/~d2footballfan/Scrimmage0421/pages/IMG_1528.htm
There's a close up of the female that I took during the scrimmage in April.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:43 pm 
All-American

Neat shots....thanks for posting them.

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne