It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Do you like having the prayer before the football games?
Yes 75%  75%  [ 9 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: Off-Season Topic
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:48 pm 
UserName Retired

I was just wondering what everyone thought of the prayer being said before each home football game? I personally love the fact that it happens! I am just curious about one point...I thought having prayer at schools, especially at sporting events, was kind of a no-no...or is that just at highschool level? Do any other colleges or universities that you know of have prayer before the games?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:34 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I for one really don't care either way. I am not offended nor terribly elated at having prayer prior to the game, and I wouldn't be tore up or giddy if it was abolished.

On one hand, it's great for those who choose to participate and nobody is holding a gun to your head making you partake, so you can just stand there and hang out if you so choose.

However, if you don't you could run the risk of being ostracized for being the non-conformist anti-Christ or whatever, and some people are bothered by the possibility of having that social stigma and play along begrudgingly. Thus, they are troubled by the whole experience and would much rather there be no public prayer.

I can see it either way. I, for one, wouldn't care for half a second if I noticed during prayer time that some Muslim guy was twiddling his thumbs or picking at his turban or whatever. But some people would go nuts and bumrush the guy and try to save him right there at the game. And I don't know about you, but I don't want religion pressed on me at a football game.

It actually happened at a UCA game once. Some guy just out of the blue walks up to me and, after about two token questions about the game, moves in for the kill and asks if I believe that Christ died on the cross for my sins. Do I believe in Christ? Am I washed in the blood of the lamb? Do I fear Jesus? And I damn near had to punch the dude because I wasn't there for sermon, I was there for football. Instead I got all biblical with it and turned the other cheek and swiftly walked away.

Anyway, I don't have strong feelings on this one way or the other. If forced to take a side, I'd go with not having it. Everybody could still pray among themselves if they so chose, they're not being disallowed from praying. But it keeps those who don't feel comfortable with it from being put in an awkward situation.

----------

Edit: By the way, thanks for opening what is sure to become one giant can of worms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:48 pm 
All-American

For lack of a better term, it is a nice tradition. I really don't have any strong feelings one way or the other.

I suspect that most of the stadiums where I have been over the years have a prayer.

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:00 pm 
Practice Squad

An editorial on prayer before football games was written and published in the Wichita Falls, Texas Times Record News by columnist Nick Gholson back in September, 1999. A link to the editorial is listed below:

http://www.swapmeetdave.com/United/Prayer-Cease

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:12 am 
All-Conference

I haven't been to a NCAA Div I game of any type where there was a prayer before a game outside of listening to the radio broadcast of a Dallas Baptist (a Div I baseball independenet) game where they did a prayer beforehand...

Perhaps at UCA, the campus is not so religiously diverse and a good percentage is overwhelmingly Christian. Or these prayers general prayers or do they include the name of Jesus, himself? I find most people of other faiths feel more comfortable if a prayer is made and there's no reference to Jesus, but are fine if a reference is made to G-d himself as most faiths do believe in G-d.

SHSU is not religiouslly diverse, though being Jewish and an active student leader, I threw a stink when a big university event was promoted as a 'holiday program', only for it to be a, excuse this, 'Jesus-Love Fest' without any mention of the other holidays of the season (Hannukah, Kwanzaa). That's just bad promotions and the university decided in the future to promote the event as it is, a Christmas program. I felt that was inappropriate and luckily, others ageed.

People should be able to feel comfortable at a sporting event. It's very important to have an open dialogue with people who represent diverse backgrounds. Whether it's a prayer thing or even a fan thing (bringing in leaders of fan groups and club officials/security to discuss what is allowed in the stadium - has been an issue at Houston Dynamo games), dialogue and communication is key.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:47 am 
Two-Time All-American

And all the people said......."Amen".

Well said, TT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:48 am 
Two-Time All-American

And all the people said......."Amen".

Well said, TT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:25 am 
All-American

TexasTerror wrote:
I haven't been to a NCAA Div I game of any type where there was a prayer before a game outside of listening to the radio broadcast of a Dallas Baptist (a Div I baseball independenet) game where they did a prayer beforehand...

Perhaps at UCA, the campus is not so religiously diverse and a good percentage is overwhelmingly Christian. Or these prayers general prayers or do they include the name of Jesus, himself? I find most people of other faiths feel more comfortable if a prayer is made and there's no reference to Jesus, but are fine if a reference is made to G-d himself as most faiths do believe in G-d.

SHSU is not religiouslly diverse, though being Jewish and an active student leader, I threw a stink when a big university event was promoted as a 'holiday program', only for it to be a, excuse this, 'Jesus-Love Fest' without any mention of the other holidays of the season (Hannukah, Kwanzaa). That's just bad promotions and the university decided in the future to promote the event as it is, a Christmas program. I felt that was inappropriate and luckily, others ageed.

People should be able to feel comfortable at a sporting event. It's very important to have an open dialogue with people who represent diverse backgrounds. Whether it's a prayer thing or even a fan thing (bringing in leaders of fan groups and club officials/security to discuss what is allowed in the stadium - has been an issue at Houston Dynamo games), dialogue and communication is key.

Ditto!!!

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:42 am 
UserName Retired

*chirp...chirp...chirp* sure is quiet around here lately...