It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lamar
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:35 am 
UserName Retired

It's game week!

Let's look at Lamar:

Lamar is tied for 3rd place in conference with a 3-1 record.

Lamar has an overall record of 3-3.

Schedule so far:

Coastal Carolina beat them 38-14.
Houston beat them 42-0.
SHSU beat them 44-31. Two scores came with 8 minutes or less left in 4th qtr. Trash scores?

Lamar beat SLU 38-14. We haven't played SLU.
Lamar beat ACU 38-10. We beat ACU 58-27.
Lamar beat NWST 32-31. We beat NWST 24-10.

UCA positives: Defense. Outright beasts.
UCA negatives: Offense. Slow to start but gets going. So more of an irritant than a negative I guess. Even coach mentioned it. But I thought they had their way with McNeese even with the missed field goal and TD early in the first half.

Lamar positives: Pass game. Great ability to spread the field.
Lamar negatives: Kade Harrington out. Makes them one dimensional.

IMO: Honestly with Kade out that makes them one dimensional too much. If our secondary can cover their WRs enough this one may go the way of the ACU game.

Prediction: UCA 49 Lamar 17.

Post subject: Re: Lamar
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:48 am 
Team Captain

This will be a tough game IMO. These guys are right under us in standings. The games they have lost have been to really good teams. I am cautiously confident about this one.

As far as our Offense and Defense, I love the way they feed off of each other. We have the 10th ranked O in the country and the 13 ranked D in the country. I think all of us would have taken that 6 games into the season.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:14 pm 
All-Conference

This game IMO could be a trap game. The Bears needs to come out as if Harrington was playing. Our offense and defense need to play with high intensity. The cardinals is not coming here to lose. Bears need to be at their best on both sides of the football. Go Gears =D>
Papa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:41 pm 
2nd Team

Lamar can put up some points, but that was with Harrington. That loss will hurt Lamar's offense, but their QB is pretty good. The style defense we play, I think he will be able to make a few plays. He should be under constant duress, however, so I don't see them doing much with they way the D has been playing all year.

We probably will not do anything that would jeopardize us turning the ball over on offense, so I would suspect an ultra conservative game plan with a steady dose of Blackman, Wells and Ledet. I wouldn't be shocked to see Hayden throw less than 15 times Saturday.

It's homecoming, so plenty of distractions, but these guys have been on the road all month. We may come out slow, but being at home in front of HOPEFULLY a nice crowd (10,000+ please. Get your @ss to the stadium) will get them energized and focused.

UCA - 31
Lamar - 10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:29 pm 
UserName Retired

Got my tickets.. =D>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:47 pm 
Redshirt

if hayden throws less than 15 times, we will lose the game. when you start to believe you can just run and win, teams will stack the box and you have to throw. plus that is an insult to hayden, jatavious Wilson, desmond smith, Brandon cox, and the other receivers. these guys are excellent throwing and catching. at some point teams will be good enough to stop the run!! better to be balanced.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:34 pm 
Two-Time All-American

1.Respect your opponent, no matter what the tale of the tape says...
2.Their 2nd string guy may be better than the 1st
3.They have scholarship players also, who are trying to win the game
4.Don't live in the moment of what you did last week.

5. Shit happens... :lol: best to be focused...

BPSG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:10 pm 
Team Captain

I would find it hard to believe there is more balanced offense in the country. We are literally averaging like 250 passing and 230 rushing. Pretty amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:20 am 
Redshirt

PURPLERULES wrote:
I would find it hard to believe there is more balanced offense in the country. We are literally averaging like 250 passing and 230 rushing. Pretty amazing.

I second that. We seem to run the ball when we have running lanes and we throw it when they're not expecting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:30 am 
2nd Team

Quote:
if hayden throws less than 15 times, we will lose the game. when you start to believe you can just run and win, teams will stack the box and you have to throw. plus that is an insult to hayden, jatavious Wilson, desmond smith, Brandon cox, and the other receivers. these guys are excellent throwing and catching. at some point teams will be good enough to stop the run!! better to be balanced.

Really? Because he only had 21 attempts against McNeese, and we ran the ball 48 times. I also said I wouldn't be shocked, but I don't expect that. I expect that he will throw probably the same number of times he has in every other game where we've had an advantage up front which is about 20 times.

I guess it's insulting to base my opinions on what I expect to what i've seen on the field and on the stat lines. This is a balanced offense in purely a yardage gained sense, but this is a very run-oriented design. Coach Campbell has explicitly said as much. The offense picks its spots on when to open up and throw.

I wish they would open it up a bit more and utilize that talent close to the sidelines, but the offense is ran with a run-first mentality. No offense to the QBs and the WRs hopefully...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:30 am 
All-Conference

The great thing about being balanced is that defenses are always trying to make offenses one dimensional. Our running game is strong and no team has been able to take it away yet. By the fourth quarter teams get tired of being punished, become demoralized and quit. Having said that, we may eventually run up against a team that sells out to stop our running game, they will pay a heavy price because of our ability to throw down field. Look at what we did last week with the passes to Wilson and Gordon. Pick your poison. It's hard to stop a balanced offense.

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:32 pm 
UserName Retired

Excuse my ramblings...........I'll admit I am an old timer and love taking control of the LOS but I also went to the same high school as one of the guys that was key in making the forward pass the weapon of choice by most NFL teams.......as an old defensive end the biggest challenge was playing a team who always kept the defense off balance and being a step in the wrong direction leaning the wrong way....... Coach said upfront he wanted to be run first and we are seeing that this year so far with success........that has to be very concerning to any opponent when they see our receiving corps just waiting for them to put 8 in the box...........plus two big TEs who can catch over the middle........Darrell Royal did pretty good throwing no more than a hand full of times each game....I recall a couple of those few times went for long TDs to win games when the defense stacked the box.......of course, Earl Campbell and the Horns o-line was pretty salty.........Chip Kelly did pretty well at Oregon throwing nearly every down......I have called exactly zero plays in a D1 game but I do love watching the Bears play ball and win...........

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:19 am 
Two-Time All-American

JRK wrote:
Excuse my ramblings...........I'll admit I am an old timer and love taking control of the LOS but I also went to the same high school as one of the guys that was key in making the forward pass the weapon of choice by most NFL teams.......as an old defensive end the biggest challenge was playing a team who always kept the defense off balance and being a step in the wrong direction leaning the wrong way....... Coach said upfront he wanted to be run first and we are seeing that this year so far with success........that has to be very concerning to any opponent when they see our receiving corps just waiting for them to put 8 in the box...........plus two big TEs who can catch over the middle........Darrell Royal did pretty good throwing no more than a hand full of times each game....I recall a couple of those few times went for long TDs to win games when the defense stacked the box.......of course, Earl Campbell and the Horns o-line was pretty salty.........Chip Kelly did pretty well at Oregon throwing nearly every down......I have called exactly zero plays in a D1 game but I do love watching the Bears play ball and win...........

AMEN...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:22 am 
Starter

Have not seen this team in person, based on what I have prior is that HH is an outstanding passer & our best playmakers are the wideouts. Coach C is fortunate to have them, however, if he remains run first he might have trouble attracting that type of talent. As others have said, teams will load the box & make you throw the ball to beat them. Doing that with this group is suicide. The future will tell how this works but most want to play in a winning program & the Bears have had that for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:29 am 
Two-Time All-American

Controlling the LOS on both sides is a recipe for success at any level. It works
from high school to the pros. It wears on your opponent both physically and
mentally. A solid rushing attack eats up the clock, frustrates the other team
and best of all keeps your defense off the field. I know the other teams the
Bears play really enjoy seeing the super back packages...it must be brutal.

BPSG