It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:26 am 
Two-Time All-American

Does anyone think it might be a better idea to schedule the Governors Classic v. Tech in War Memorial as opposed to a non-confernce game of little interest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:37 am 
UserName Retired

I think that's an interesting idea.
I think in the case of the ENM game, you may be right. But still with a crowd of 10,032 last year, WMS would be pretty empty. Playing there is a risk no matter the opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:52 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

that and I like to keep homefield advantage over your biggest rival if at all possible.

Now if it was scheduled for War Memorial every year no matter who was supposed to be the home team that year between Tech and UCA, that is another story, because then Tech would have to take on renting the place out every other year and taking their financial loss every other year too. But if you are talking about UCA moving the game only, I'm not so sure I'm for that. Of course, WMS will have 2 new video screens for replays :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:04 am 
Two-Time All-American

Does anyone know how much it costs to rent that old beast for a ballgame?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:09 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I don't, I've tried to ask but no one responds or knows the answer. I just base my assumptions on that if the U of A supposedly loses money every time they play there, and they sell it out every time, then there is no way we would ever make money in a game there. At least not with our attendance.

I'll gladly say I'm wrong if I am wrong though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:24 am 
Two-Time All-American

Also, does anyone know how much the U of A pays to televise a game locally? What I'm getting at is, if we're already paying to rent War Memorial, and Tech and us are both going to pay to play each other on TV, wouldn't it or couldn't it be a better deal to play the Classic there instead and have it televised by a LR station?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:14 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

it might be a better deal money wise, who knows, but legally I do not think we could do that. I might be wrong, but we are bound by the GSC contract to play the game where and when they want us to play the game. I do not think you can back out of that deal as members of the GSC. Again, if anyone else can provide more information feel free to do so.

Now if you could get the GSC to rent out War Memorial for the Tech-UCA game, then I'd be all for that since it is Tech's home game this year anyway! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:25 pm 
Two-Time All-American

No doubt it should be on a rotating basis or split.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:10 pm 
Practice Squad

I was told when we played UAPB in LR that it costs $75,000 to rent WMS and play ing Tech there is almost as bad as playing Eastern New Mexico there. We will not draw many more fans than we drew last year in Conway. If we want to pay in WMS we must play a "name" team like
A-State or the like to draw interest and a crowd. Go Figure how many tickets you would have to sell just to break even at $10.00 each. Then you will have expenses of bringing the band, cheerleaders and player and coaches to the game. By the time you entertain guests in the press box and every necessary expense you will be near $100,000.00 for the game.
And remember the free tickets that they give away for games just to draw a crowd. I don't see it working to our advantage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:55 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

good post Last Bear, thanks for the money total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:13 pm 
All-American

Last Bear wrote:
I was told when we played UAPB in LR that it costs $75,000 to rent WMS and play ing Tech there is almost as bad as playing Eastern New Mexico there. We will not draw many more fans than we drew last year in Conway. If we want to pay in WMS we must play a "name" team like
A-State or the like to draw interest and a crowd. Go Figure how many tickets you would have to sell just to break even at $10.00 each. Then you will have expenses of bringing the band, cheerleaders and player and coaches to the game. By the time you entertain guests in the press box and every necessary expense you will be near $100,000.00 for the game.
And remember the free tickets that they give away for games just to draw a crowd. I don't see it working to our advantage.

I'm fairly certain that $75,000 is the correct figure. In fact, that is the only figure I have ever heard quoted regarding the rental of WMS.

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:00 pm 
Practice Squad

The U(seless) of A only "loses" money in that it doesn't make as much playing in LR as it does playing in Fayetteville.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:19 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Yogi wrote:
The U(seless) of A only "loses" money in that it doesn't make as much playing in LR as it does playing in Fayetteville.

so are you saying it is possible that UCA could break even at a game in War Memorial then? If so, then I guess I would have to slightly reconsider playing more games at WMS, like 1 a year or every other year...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:13 am 
Practice Squad

I have no idea how whether or not UCA or any other non-pig school could break even or turn a profit in WMS, but simple math says a sellout in 72,000 seat Razorback Stadium gets the Hogs more ticket sales dollars than in 53,000 seat War Memorial.

Again, the Hogs don’t “lose” money when they play in LR, they just don’t make as much as when they play in Fayettenam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:18 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

then I'll stick with my 'we shouldn't play but 1 game, or 1 every other year at WMS stance.'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next