It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tulsa
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:11 pm 
UserName Retired

What a difference throwing the ball UP the field makes for this offense!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:20 pm 
UserName Retired

Is there a reason we keep running it up the middle?

Even the announcers are puzzled! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:24 pm 
UserName Retired

What a difference opening up the offense has made!!! GO BEARS!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:31 pm 
UserName Retired

Still a game......had out chance to get the lead...D has to get back into it...and give offense another shot........dodged that bullet......trail 24-20 but ..need to use wind for next 2-3 minutes and get a score........my bad...we get wind in Q4.....got to get Tulsa to respect the pass more.........

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:44 pm 
UserName Retired

Now we see if those 23 extra scholarships that FBS gets makes the difference.....time for D to get it going and shut down TU and for offense to get a couple scores

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:51 pm 
UserName Retired

Good start ...............still need to stop giving up so much on 1st down.... D will have to win this game....and give O some chances late.....

Bears 27-24......

Not a good series........now down 31-27........may take 40 to win this.....

Tough spot......38-27......got to somehow get some offense going..........

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:15 pm 
UserName Retired

Some really good things we can take away from this game. Our run game was non-existent. Our D was a little suspect.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:23 pm 
UserName Retired

I think D ran out of gas.......O-line certainly not consistent although good pass protection........Tulsa won LOS on both sides and won the game........got to get run game much improved quickly......really thought we could win this one..........had our chances....come home safely then get ready for Murray State next Sat....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:57 pm 
All-Conference

Well, I'm not optimistic on this season. We were out manned in several positions by a team that shouldn't be that far out in front of us.

Positives:
Breylin smith was very efficient and calm
WR corp looks as good as advertised
D line had some really good moments, obviously the scope and score was huge

Negatives:
O line was not good. Tulsas d line won't be as good as as mcneese, shsu or sela. We will struggle with those teams to run the ball which will put undue pressure on breylin and the D
The play calling was crazy conservative. Why did we punt on 4th and 5 and mid field with 5 left down 2 scores? To save face??? No excuse there
Where's the killer instinct??? How can a team have the ball inside the 10 FIVE times only hit paydirt twice in a game this close? We simply didn't make tulsa pay for their mistakes.

Finally, espn3 sucks. Moreover, justin acri was absolutely atrocious calling the game. My father and I were trying to listen to the game (after espn3 failed) and literally didn't know where the ball was or the down and distance half the time. Plus the station cut out like 5 times.

Disappointed pretty much all the way around

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:03 pm 
UserName Retired

As for Justin, he said it himself that he was out of sorts tonight. He is usually much better. The station kept cutting out, but I think that was on Tulsa’s side. Apparently their stadium got struck by lighting the night before so they were having electrical issues.
I agree with the oline. They struggled mightily to make any holes for the RBs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:04 pm 
Team Captain

I went back to my posting from the K-State game, because I felt very similar after that game to this one. Except, we should have won this one with the way we played. The fumble at the goal line (still think the plane was broken with control of the ball) and the flubbed kick return that they recovered did us in.

But, the things I was encouraged about this year are the same things I felt good about last year.

Breylin looked pretty good for a first time starter. He didn't make any major mistakes.

O-Line did an ok job giving him time. They did not do good getting enough push for our running backs.

Tackling was not great. I felt we missed way too many.

But we forced turnovers. That did not beat us a lot deep.

Next week will be a better indication of who we are as a team. Will we be able to run the ball better? Will we keep protecting the QB? Will we make better tackles? Will we get more pressure on the QB (we were not bad at that, but can get better)?

I'm excited to see this team, though. I think we have a good chance to be as good as last year. Coach Brown will have this team sharper for next week, no doubt.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:22 pm 
All-Conference

Next week won't be a measuring stick. When we go down to Hammond, we'll know exactly what we have.

I hope the "gel" factor with o line is a quick process. I simply don't see us running very effectively this year.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:53 pm 
Team Captain

Shot ourselves in the foot too much. Fumbling at the goalline, dripping a kickoff return, TWO offsides penalties that negated interceptions.

Thought we looked pretty solid if we could just clean up some of that stuff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:25 pm 
Starter

huggy_bear wrote:
Well, I'm not optimistic on this season. We were out manned in several positions by a team that shouldn't be that far out in front of us.

Positives:
Breylin smith was very efficient and calm
WR corp looks as good as advertised
D line had some really good moments, obviously the scope and score was huge

Negatives:
O line was not good. Tulsas d line won't be as good as as mcneese, shsu or sela. We will struggle with those teams to run the ball which will put undue pressure on breylin and the D
The play calling was crazy conservative. Why did we punt on 4th and 5 and mid field with 5 left down 2 scores? To save face??? No excuse there
Where's the killer instinct??? How can a team have the ball inside the 10 FIVE times only hit paydirt twice in a game this close? We simply didn't make tulsa pay for their mistakes.

Finally, espn3 sucks. Moreover, justin acri was absolutely atrocious calling the game. My father and I were trying to listen to the game (after espn3 failed) and literally didn't know where the ball was or the down and distance half the time. Plus the station cut out like 5 times.

Disappointed pretty much all the way around

Are you serious?? You can’t be serious.

We played (and should have beaten) an FBS team that is 2 seasons removed from winning TEN games. TEN FBS GAMES. I have a HUGE amount of optimism about this team after watching this game!!! Considering all the talent we lost from last years squad, with several new coaches in the mix, to come out on the road against an FBS school and lead in the fourth quarter, I am very, very mpressed.

Play calling was conservative, very much so. But remember, this is a QB’s first start on the road against an FBS school. I think they wanted to just let him get his feet wet first, and see how it went. I thought Breylin, when given the chance, threw the ball very well.

Tulsa’s D-Line is definitely better than McNeese’s SELA’s or anyone else in our conference. Again, this is an FBS school. Probably will be the best D-line we face all season, barring a playoff matchup with NDSU or JMU down the road.

Basically just wanted to say chill out, and it will be ok. This was the first game of the season against an FBS team at their stadium with a new coaching staff and lots of new pieces of both sides of the ball.

I feel very confident with this team, and I’m very excited for this season!

Bears played hard, and i’m ready for next week!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:58 am 
All-Conference

I agree with TW22. Bears could have won this game. Tulsa played 8 in pass coverage most of the night and dared the Bears to run. Bears tried, but Tulsa D-line was excellent. The o-line was my biggest concern going into the game. Our o-line
young, big and strong and will improve as the season progresses. Smith played poised and threw well, very impressive night. Bears were in this game until the fumble at the goal line (which may have been a TD) and the fumbled kickoff. Too many game one mistakes, but Bears and coaches will clean them up.

Go Bears!