It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What has you excited for 2019?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:53 am 
Team Captain

I am already looking forward to the 2019 campaign. I get like this every year though (my household has 4 seasons: Golf preseason, golf season, college football season, and Christmas).

Here's what has me excited for 2019:

1. Improved O-line play

We saw this unit get better until the injuries hit versus Lamar. Pass protection was better, more holes opened up, etc. This was a fairly young unit. The experience this year, combined with chances to work on things in the offseason, should make this a formidable bunch next year.

2. Blackmon

He's constantly getting better. He's power. He's tough. He gets another year to get better. Combine this with the improved O-line and watch out.

3. Breylin

Breylin was passing for over 70% completion before he got hurt. That's impressive considering our line did not protect him that well in the early going. What he showed me when playing was his ability to feel out the field, know his options, and distribute the ball well.

My opinion: Had Breylin not been hurt, we would not have lost to McNeese, Lamar, or UIW. We had 50/50 chance to beat Sam Houston on the last drive of the game or overtime with him in. He is a playmaker and a difference maker for the Bears.

Now, my 2019 wishlist

1. Improved secondary play

I felt like this was our weakness all year. Run defense was pretty good. Secondary played too soft. We gave up too many critical pass plays. We were never schemed well for the over the middle pass. Need to play more aggressive on 3rd down.

2. Contain the QB

The teams that hurt us are teams with mobile quarterbacks. SHSU first exposed us on this. We never had anyone key on him, play the spy role, and contain.

3. Get back to dominate run defense

2016 and 2017 we did not let anyone run on us. I'd like to see that again.

4. FBS win

WKU and Hawaii are winnable games. I'd love to see us go 1-1 in those. Oh yeah, and beat Austin Peay while we're at it.

Post subject: Re: What has you excited for 2019?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:09 pm 
All-Conference

I am looking forward to a better 2019 season. I would like to see an increase in home game attendance. There is no reason that the stadium shouldn't packed out. Students need to show up at home games. I enjoy traveling with the Bears as well. Austin Peay, Lamar, and Northwestern ST. I plan on making good Lords willing. Travels in my past has caught up with me. I would love to make all away games. At the QB position Hales has helped us out in a bad situation. I love what he has done for us. I hope all QB's are healthy next season. OL will be improved. Secondary should be improved as well. I hope the Bears will have a good spring, off season, and a good summer return. God Bless you all, Papa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:16 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
I would like to see an increase in home game attendance. There is no reason that the stadium shouldn't packed out.

I'm sure having 1 home game in the first 6 weeks of the season lends to a good turnout next year. :roll: :lol:

Since this thread isn't about that but more positives I'd just repost everything the OP posted. =D> Well said.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 pm 
UserName Retired

With a new head coach and largely new coaching staff..........with loss of starting QB early........with key injuries on o-line.......Bears were only a small handful of points away from 8-3 and a for sure playoff berth and probably share of SLC......I can think of some other places with a new coaching staff who would love 6 wins...........

Ditto the below........I am excited already in spite of loss of a very good senior class......and have not even seen new FR class yet........Go Bears!!!

PS - let's get two FBS wins, win over AP and ACU and then be ready to get into middle of SLC schedule...........all possible......

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:41 pm 
All-Conference

Everything! No not really everything but when it comes to UCA Bear football I get wound up! maybe to much.
Cant wait to get Breylin back! He is the real deal I do believe, as a matter of fact I believe he could play FBS ball. I mean that.
I would like to see the football parents calm down a bit although I do know the feeling since mine also played. Coach needed a year to get in somewhat of a groove and he will be fine along with the rest of the staff. Adjustments will be made. The players need to get just a tad bit more "business like"----have fun but Dayum!!!
I would like to see a HUGE EMPHASIS put on wrapping up first AND THEN TRYING TO STRIP THE BALL !!!!! NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND !!!!!!
The UCA Alums that have been running to Fayetteville to watch Football NEED TO WAKE THE F` UP !!!!! The talent and atmosphere at UCA is good and getting better but all the fake Hog fans that like to wear Red on Saturdays need to get a clue. The "PIGS" will get theirs! They don't need any UCA alums support. The students need to get their a**es to the games also!! Some do, but MOST DONT !! Overall I`m excited about 2019. I can see a deep playoff run and who knows? Maybe more!!!! GO BEARS !!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:54 pm 
All-Conference

I am excited because I've just made all my travel arrangements for the Hawaii game. Momma bear will not be able to make the trip due to grand child care reasons. She encouraged me to go and have fun. God Bless and Bear Claws Up

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:19 am 
All-Conference

First of all, hope everyone has had a GREAT Thanksgiving holiday.

I would like to back up for a moment and pass along some numbers I found after a post I recently made about how our first year head coaches have gotten off to a so-so start over the years.

I am a Nathan Brown guy. He is the RIGHT man for the job. I'm for him and what he is trying to accomplish.

However, with any first year coach, there is that term learning on the fly and making adjustments. This will come with only more experience.

Anyway, I went back and looked just to see what kind of start our previous head football coaches had. I was somewhat surprised on a couple.

Raymond Bright---1965---7-1-1
Ken Stephens------1972---2-7-1
Harold Horton------1982---4-2-3
Mike Isom----------1990---8-4-0
Clint Conque-------2000---3-8-0
Steve Campbell----2014---6-6-0
Nathan Brown------2018---6-5-0

All of these men were OUTSTANDING head coaches. Our program is in good shape.

2019 is going to be exciting and fun. BTW, I agree with the posts above....just got to get better.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:30 pm 
UserName Retired

Of course, Bear Bright had a fellow named Tiner at QB......only 53% completion rate but about 1000 yards........and ran for another 530+..........Bears scored only 208 but gave up only 115...........good looking list of head coaches and that excludes Coaches Estes, Woodson, Montgomery and Koon.......

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:40 am 
All-Conference

JRK wrote:
Of course, Bear Bright had a fellow named Tiner at QB......only 53% completion rate but about 1000 yards........and ran for another 530+..........Bears scored only 208 but gave up only 115...........good looking list of head coaches and that excludes Coaches Estes, Woodson, Montgomery and Koon.......

Really good list....when I started looking at that, I pretty much decided to only go back about 50 years for the comparisome. Wasn't trying to exclude anyone. Have followed the program since mid 1970's and seemed to recall that the first year coaches got off to tough start. Glad the research refreshed my memory...a little. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:35 pm 
UserName Retired

Beau.......your list shows we have had a remarkable run of more than 50+ years of very good head coaches......

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:37 am 
Two-Time All-American

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:40 pm 
Team Captain

I think considering the circumstances of losing Breylin early and then Kirk in the same game we over achieved. I know coach Brown wouldn’t agree, I have heard him say the expectation never changes, but how many teams could sustain getting to a freshman third string QB. We were one game away from playoffs even with that happening. Only lost 7 senior starters on the last depth chart. So there is a lot to be excited about moving forward. Look at our recruiting class on 247.com and it looks like we are in for another top 10-15 recruiting class. A lot to be excited about and excited about coach brown and his staff. They burn purple for sure!!! Can’t wait for 2019!