It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Austin Peay
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:46 pm 
UserName Retired

Time to start looking to the next game. For those who may not recall, their new head coach has lots of connections to UCA on both sides of the ball. Very accomplished coach.....and UCA alum....and daughter Carley is a SugarBear basketball player. Nice write-up on Mark Hudspeth at:

https://letsgopeay.com/staff.aspx?staff=2374

Mark Hudspeth was announced as the 20th head football coach in Austin Peay program history on Dec. 11, 2018.

Hudspeth comes to Austin Peay after spending the 2018 season as the associate head coach and tight ends coach at Mississippi State. The Bulldogs finished the regular season 8-4 and ranked No. 18 in the College Football Playoff poll.

Hudspeth has 16 years of head coaching experience at the FBS, NCAA Division II and high school levels, and his teams went a combined 142-60 with him at the helm.

Prior to joining Joe Moorhead’s staff at Mississippi State, Hudspeth spent seven seasons (2011-17) as the head coach of the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns. In each of his first four seasons, the Ragin’ Cajuns finished 9-4, with victories in the New Orleans Bowl in each of those seasons. The 2011 victory in the New Orleans Bowl was the program’s first bowl appearance since 1970. The Cajuns appeared in the New Orleans Bowl again following the 2016 season.

The 2013 Ragin’ Cajuns were co-Sun Belt Champions after finishing tied atop the regular-season standings, and finished in the top three of the conference standings in each of his first four seasons.

In 2014, Louisiana running back Elijah McGuire was voted as the Sun Belt Player of the Year and Offensive Player of the Year after accumulating more than 1,700 yards from scrimmage and 16 touchdowns. In total, 47 players earned All-Sun Belt honors during Hudspeth’s tenure, and three players - Alonzo Harris (2011), McGuire (2013) and Joe Dillon (2016) – were each named as the league’s Freshman of the Year, with McGuire and Dillon also earning Freshman All-America honors.

Six players from Hudspeth’s Louisiana teams were selected in the NFL Draft, including Tracy Walker, who went 85th overall to the Detroit Lions in the 2018 NFL Draft – the first player from Louisiana selected in the Draft’s first three rounds since 2011.

Prior to turning around a Louisiana program that was 3-9 before his arrival, Hudspeth made his first coaching stop in Starkville, serving as the passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach at Mississippi State for two seasons (2009-10). During his tenure, he tutored wide receiver Chad Bumphis, who would go on to set the MSU record in career receiving yards.

Hudspeth had tremendous success as head coach at then-NCAA Division II North Alabama, leading the Lions to a 66-21 record in seven seasons (2002-08). During his time at the helm of the program, UNA won two Gulf South Conference championships and competed in the Division II Championship five times.

In his second season, Hudspeth led the Lions to the 2003 Gulf South Conference title with a 9-0 conference record, and all the way to the national semifinals. He was named the Gulf South Coach of the Year while also being voted the NCAA Division II Region 2 Coach of the Year by the American Football Coaches Association.

In 2005, the Lions went 11-3 and advanced to the national semifinals for the second time in three seasons. The 2006 campaign saw even greater success, as Hudspeth led the team to an unblemished conference record and another Gulf South Conference championship and national quarterfinal appearance. After finishing the season 11-1, Hudspeth was again named Gulf South Coach of the Year and NCAA Division II Region 2 Coach of the Year.

Ultimately, the Lions won double-digit games in four consecutive seasons: the 2007 squad finished 10-2 and made the nation quarterfinals, and the 2008 team went 12-2, and made a third appearance in the national semifinals under Hudspeth.

Hudspeth earned a bachelor’s degree in health and education from Delta State in 1992. A four-year letterwinner, he was a starting safety as a junior before moving to starting quarterback in his final season. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Central Arkansas and earned a master’s degree in secondary school administration from UCA in 1993.

Hudspeth’s first full-time coaching position came at Nicholls State, where he served as wide receivers and tight ends coach in 1994 and running backs coach in 1995.

He returned to his high school alma mater – Winston Academy in Louisville, Miss. – in 1996, and led the program to a 25-1 record in two seasons after it had just one win in the two years prior to his arrival. He led the 1997 squad to the Mississippi Private School Association Class A state title.

Before his extremely successful tenure as the UNA head coach, Hudspeth returned to UCA in 1998 as defensive backs coach, and then returned to Delta State as offensive coordinator (1999-2000). He spent the 2001 season as the offensive coordinator of Navy.

Hudspeth is married to the former Tyla McConnell and is the father of four sons: Gunner, Captain, Major and Rocky; and one daughter, Carley.

The Hudspeth File
College: Delta State, 1992
Coaching:
2019: Austin Peay (Head Coach)
2018: Mississippi State (Associate Head Coach/Tight Ends)
2011-17: University of Louisiana (Head Coach)
2009-10: Mississippi State (Passing Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers)
2002-08: North Alabama (Head Coach)
2001: Navy (Offensive Coordinator)
1999-2000: Delta State (Offensive Coordinator)
1998: Central Arkansas (Defensive Backs)

1997-98: Winston Academy HS (Head Coach)
1995: Nicholls State (Running Backs)
1994: Nicholls State (Wide Receivers/Tight Ends)
1992-93: Central Arkansas (Graduate Assistant)

Post subject: Re: Austin Peay
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:03 am 
All-Conference

Pretty interesting matchup Saturday. Austin Peays D dominated the outmatched NCCU but’s it’s offense sputtered at times. They have an all American RB who’s really good and will cause problems for our D. As the WKU game showed, our D line doesn’t have a marquee down lineman that we’ve been spoiled with the past few seasons, but we have a lot of depth with capable, young talent. Certainly looks like a bend don’t break front 7 to compliment a very good secondary

Their QB had 3 TDs to go along with 3 INTs. Looks like if we can force some throwing situations, turnover opportunities will be available.

We’ve got to get the running game going. if we can sustain some drives throughout the game and keep their D on the field, bears should win this going away.

UCA - 41
APSU - 20

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:57 am 
UserName Retired

Definitely going to be a good game! I am sure that Coach Brown will have our guys focused and make sure they don't get the big head after the WKU win.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:55 am 
All-Conference

huggy_bear wrote:
bears should win this going away.

Famous last words... Need to stay focused.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:12 pm 
All-Conference

VolleyBear wrote:
huggy_bear wrote:

First off, you took that out of context. To re-establish my point, typical teams that can run the ball and sustain drives win football games. UCA, after destroying a Confernce USA team in the 4th quarter, has an obvious ability to accomplish that. Thus, the bears should win.

Secondly, what exactly do I need to focus on?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:54 pm 
All-Conference

huggy_bear wrote:
VolleyBear wrote:
huggy_bear wrote:

First off, you took that out of context. To re-establish my point, typical teams that can run the ball and sustain drives win football games. UCA, after destroying a Confernce USA team in the 4th quarter, has an obvious ability to accomplish that. Thus, the bears should win.

Secondly, what exactly do I need to focus on?
Sorry, I guess I took it a bit out of context and could have phrased better. The team needs to stay focused, not you. My attempt at humor fell flat

I agree the Bears should win this one, but the pessimist in me (and I'm really quite an optimist) knows that upsets come in many forms. How many times have we seen a team, in any sport, come off a big win and play a game thinking they "should win this going away" only to be thoroughly handled by an opponent.

Every team member deserves to be proud and upbeat about the big WKU win. My point is that not to let early-season success color what it'll take to beat the next opponent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:08 am 
Redshirt

huggy_bear wrote:
Pretty interesting matchup Saturday. Austin Peays D dominated the outmatched NCCU but’s it’s offense sputtered at times. They have an all American RB who’s really good and will cause problems for our D. As the WKU game showed, our D line doesn’t have a marquee down lineman that we’ve been spoiled with the past few seasons, but we have a lot of depth with capable, young talent. Certainly looks like a bend don’t break front 7 to compliment a very good secondary

Their QB had 3 TDs to go along with 3 INTs. Looks like if we can force some throwing situations, turnover opportunities will be available.

We’ve got to get the running game going. if we can sustain some drives throughout the game and keep their D on the field, bears should win this going away.

UCA - 41
APSU - 20

Pretty accurate. Jeremiah was highly touted coming out of high school. Had an offer from Vanderbilt and other FBS schools so we were shocked he picked us, especially at the time. Thursday night, 2 of the INT's were early and he was obviously a little nervous or still had the pre game jitters. One was a very bad throw and the other was a tipped pass the receiver should've caught. But as you said, if you get him under pressure, he can struggle and complete opposite if you make him comfortable in the pocket, especially with the number of talent we have on offense. UCA will have to be very good defensively to stop the run.

Obviously I don't agree with the score as I think the game will be a lot closer than that. I think we're very capable of winning this week and it would be a HUGE win for our program that has not seen a lot of winning in my lifetime. I'm 37 and I've seen TWO winning season in my lifetime and one of them was 2017 lol. But to get back to this week, I think it all comes down to our defense and whether or not we can have a repeat of last week. Govs were all over the place on defense and not allowing NCCU to do much of anything. BUT, the Bears will be a lot more talented than NCCU, no doubt about that. So they'll have to have a repeat and improve to give the Govs a chance at a W and a big win.

Looking forward to this week. If any of you decide to make the trip over to Clarksville, you can check out my other post for some recommendations on things and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Let's Go Peay!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:46 am 
All-Conference

LetsGoPeay wrote:
huggy_bear wrote:

UCA - 41
APSU - 20

Pretty accurate. Jeremiah was highly touted coming out of high school. Had an offer from Vanderbilt and other FBS schools so we were shocked he picked us, especially at the time. Thursday night, 2 of the INT's were early and he was obviously a little nervous or still had the pre game jitters. One was a very bad throw and the other was a tipped pass the receiver should've caught. But as you said, if you get him under pressure, he can struggle and complete opposite if you make him comfortable in the pocket, especially with the number of talent we have on offense. UCA will have to be very good defensively to stop the run.

Obviously I don't agree with the score as I think the game will be a lot closer than that. I think we're very capable of winning this week and it would be a HUGE win for our program that has not seen a lot of winning in my lifetime. I'm 37 and I've seen TWO winning season in my lifetime and one of them was 2017 lol. But to get back to this week, I think it all comes down to our defense and whether or not we can have a repeat of last week. Govs were all over the place on defense and not allowing NCCU to do much of anything. BUT, the Bears will be a lot more talented than NCCU, no doubt about that. So they'll have to have a repeat and improve to give the Govs a chance at a W and a big win.

Looking forward to this week. If any of you decide to make the trip over to Clarksville, you can check out my other post for some recommendations on things and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Let's Go Peay!

As the great Conor Mcgregor once said: Who the heck is this guy?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:49 pm 
Redshirt

Mulerider wrote:
LetsGoPeay wrote:
huggy_bear wrote:

UCA - 41
APSU - 20

Let's Go Peay!

As the great Conor Mcgregor once said: Who the heck is this guy?

I believe it was "who the fook is this guy?"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:57 pm 
All-Conference

I believe it was "who the fook is this guy?"[/quote]

Haha your right. Didn't know how to sensor it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:16 pm 
Two-Time All-American

According to the sagarin
ratings...the Bears are
a 3 point favorite.

GO BEARS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:34 pm 
All-Conference

FOOT84 wrote:
According to the sagarin
ratings...the Bears are
a 3 point favorite.

GO BEARS

Wow, could be a close game. At the beginning of the season, I didn't think they were that good. AP had a pretty decent game last week. If the bears want to prove themselves nationally. They will have to win this week's game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:33 pm 
Two-Time All-American

UCA 144, 50.73

AP 176,. 44.07

GET 3 for homefield
=47.07 for AP
50.73-47.07 =BEARS@
3 1/2 POINT FAVORITE

Which in the grand
Scheme means diddly
Squat

GO BEARS
kick AP's ass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:41 am 
UserName Retired

This game can not get here fast enough! I can't wait to see how they respond after the FBS win.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:04 pm 
UserName Retired

Massey says UCA has a 61% chance to win Saturday.