It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ACU
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:51 pm 
Team Captain

A win is a win is a win is a win.

And we tried to do everything we could to NOT win this game, and still pulled out a win. Huge credit and kudos to ACU. They came in ready. They found our weaknesses and exploited them over and over and over. Combine that with us just looking sloppy and it looked like we were going to be upset. I had actually resigned myself to the L, thinking with the way we were playing, that it was inevitable.

Yet, somehow we pulled off a win. I don't think we've said this enough: There is no quit in this team. None. These young men fight hard. They may not execute great, or consistently good, but they refuse to quit no matter what. I think that says a lot about the coaching, the character of the players, and their determination to do great things.

That being said, here are my notes from the game:

Offense

It was nice to see a slightly improved running attack. Slightly. Crossly looked more like himself. Carlos found some holes. I still think the best us of our backs are these short passes. However, that play was called a few too many times.

There were a few too many times where Breylin and the WR's were not on the same page. Wrong routes either being thrown to or being run. I could not tell what was what. O-line needs to block better too. We have got to figure out how to stop the corner blitz or else #3 is going to get hurt. I thought there were a few times where Breylin was trying too hard to make something happen. I felt he should have just rolled out and thrown it away instead of dumping behind the LOS to one of the RB's, or taking the sack (and fumbling).

And then there were the dropped passes. I'll just leave that one alone.

There were some really good moments tonight, though. If the team can build on those things, I think they'll finally find the rhythm. It is just not there yet.

I did not think I would say this, but even winning, our offense is our weakness.

Defense

How many times were we going to let #21 from ACU roll out of the backfield to the flats and be wide open for a 15-20 yard gain?

Our defensive backs are just getting beat too often, and it almost always seems like to be on a big play. There was one play where our corner just watched their receiver be wide open and was just shuffling in that direction instead of active pursuing him.

I found myself scratching my head. And then there were the drop balls that would have been interceptions. And missed tackles.

But, then the defense does what the defense does: They show up. They make the stops they need to make.

Special Teams

Our kickoff return was on fire, minus the one fumble.

Overall, not a great performance. Good enough to win, but not great. ACU played good, not great, and it just happened to swing our way at the end.

Some other thoughts from our first home game:

1. How in the heck do we not have the scoreboard and clock figured out before the first game? Yes, it is a new system. But, you spend weeks leading into game #1 learning it, playing with it, and have it down to a science. I laughed that the ref had to keep telling them to turn off the clock, remove it, set it to zero, etc. But seriously, figure it out.

2. The new speakers were nice. Too bad the ref's transmitters was jacked up and we could not hear half of what he said.

3. Speaking of new speakers, I think we have a new DJ as well. I think that new DJ forgot that we have a band that plays a decent amount. We don't need music over the speakers between every play.

4. I did not go to the concessions, but my wife, kids, and friends did. They said the lines were long and slow. And there was not any better food options. Some things never change.

5. The bad did a good job. Being a band alum, I enjoy watching them, but can also be a bit critical of how they do. They had a good sound at half. Love the EWF theme of this show.

Looking forward:

I think we're all expecting our first L next week. Can we win it? Sure, but we're going to have to play a LOT better. Here's to safe travels for the team and the fans going to watch. Hopefully all of the men come back healthy and ready to go.

Proud of these men and the coaches. Go Bears!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:45 pm 
UserName Retired

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:39 pm 
Starter

joshuca wrote:

Jesus, the day after a big home win and this board is absolute crickets.

Love those highlights though. Glad we are starting to get some more pub, although still not enough.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:10 pm 
UserName Retired

Bears fortunate to win the game. Kudos to ACU's defense.....they were ferocious on getting push on our O-line and we had a very hard time blocking #50 and #98 especially. The MLB #47 (although he was not always in the middle) was pretty stout....reminded me of Seth Allison only a bit bigger...…. he seemed to be in every tackle. ACU as a unit they reminded me somewhat of New Hampshire in that did a good job of wrapping up and usually not giving a lot of yardage after the first hit. The safety #13 did a good job on Lujuan but eventually LW found ways to get enough open to make an impact. RB #21 was pretty tough to get down.

Hats off to Hayden Ray for a perfect night on FGs/PATs.….we needed every single one of those...however, he kicked the last KO out of bounds which gave them a free ten yards to the 35....they did not need any help.

I thought Breylin rarely had time to set and throw.....he missed two pretty sure TDs with slightly off base passes.....had he had another second he could have set better to throw....as someone else observed we did not handle the edge blitz or even rush well and Brelyin paid the price several times. When he had any where near enough time he threw some very nice balls...…….however, having LW and Tyler Hudson as targets helps.

Got to give Breylin lots of credit for staying cool....a couple rushed passes cost us but he did not get frustrated and just kept at it. What can you say about LW and Carlos in the crunch?

As others have said, the team just does not give up.....they had plenty of chances to toss it in last night but did not...I did not see any throwing helmets and kicking things when a series did not go well...they were serious and got into the sideline huddle to decide what to do next...…

We really have to get some things fixed quickly...….the schedule is very tough ….getting four more wins is not obvious from where....

By the way, APU went on the road to Mercer and got a 48-34 win....Hawaii got thumped at Washington as expected.....Hilltoppers lost at home to Louisville by 38-21....

Box score shows our attendance as 10,123......the east side was nearly full....my section on lower west was about 90% full and it is usually about 50%.....still maybe 500+ on Bruce Street.....

BMB really adds to the game ….they sounded really good .. and yes, they play a lot as they should.....Cheer squads always keep involved.....

There are only 3 undefeated teams in FCS Coaches Poll Top 15 and North Dakota State an Towson are two of those....

Time to get onto Hawaii…….

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:20 am 
Practice Squad

If anyone notice in the Austin Peay game, Breylin was hit pretty hard from the blind side. From what I understand, he had to see the doctor last week. Surprised to see him play as well as he did in the Abilene Christian game. My hat goes off to him and the recievers.. in the last 3 games..90 % of our scores came from passing. For him that said he thought "Breylin was trying to do too much" my thoughts are Breylin did what it take to win. Eventually Abilene Christian thought the same thing, they named him player of the game. Go Bears!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:56 pm 
All-Conference

huggy_bear wrote:
Not a lot to glean from those results. Hanging 31 on a good North Texas squad is impressive although half of those points were garbage time 4th Q. They did have 456 yards of offense (more than either of our games). North Texas got obliterated by a resurgent SMU team who beat stAte the week prior. Lots of if A:B and B:C transitive scenarios to compare that ultimately mean nothing.

UCA's offense is going to have to get going at kickoff and be consistent...coming from behind every game is not a good strategy going forward. I would hope UCA gets their act together up front and doesn't leave our backs out to dry with elementary play calling, but I'm not very optimistic. However, i think we have too much fire power through the air to stay in any game this year (except maybe Hawaii).

I have faith in the D, especially our back end guys, but this may be the best offense the D has faced thus far. I would suspect us using a lot more man to help out in the run game which will leave our CBs and Ss exposed at times. This is going to be a close one, but we're finally home and that should count for something...

UCA 34
ACU 30

I meant 31-30

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:42 pm 
UserName Retired

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2019-09-16/these-fcs-players-are-stellar-starts-2019

#1 was Trey Lance, North Dakota State QB
#2 was LuJuan Winningham, UCA WR
#3 was Andre Walker, HBU DE
#4 was Jai-Main Martin NCA&T RB